Consistency of 6x5 Linear Systems: A Scientific Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses whether every system of 6 equations and 5 unknowns is consistent and the definition of a consistent system. It is stated that not every system is consistent due to the possibility of arriving at an equation where 0=1 after Gaussian elimination. A trivial example is given to illustrate this concept, and the conversation ends with a correction stating that the system has 6 equations and 5 unknowns, not 6 equations and 6 unknowns.
EvLer

Homework Statement

is every system of 6 equations and 5 unknowns consistent?

I think that not every one is consistent because after Gaussian elimination you may arrive at equation where 0=1, but I want a sure confirmation.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:
is every system of 6 equations and 5 unknowns consistent?

I think that not every one is consistent because after Gaussian elimination you may arrive at equation where 0=1, but I want a sure confirmation.

What does it mean for a system of linear equations to be consistent? Does your answer agree with the definition?

A trivial example:

x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 = 1
x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 = 0

Does this system have a solution?

Edit: I forgot to add the 6th equation. The question remains unchanged.

Last edited:
thanks.
ps: sorry, perhaps I made a mistake: 6 equations IN 5 unknowns.

That was what everyone assumed you meant, that is what radou gave.

Related to Consistency of 6x5 Linear Systems: A Scientific Perspective

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that involve one or more variables, where each equation is linear (meaning the highest power of the variable is 1). The solutions to a system of linear equations are the values of the variables that make all of the equations true simultaneously.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including graphing, substitution, and elimination. In graphing, the equations are graphed on the same coordinate plane and the solution is where the lines intersect. In substitution, one equation is solved for one variable and then substituted into the other equation to solve for the other variable. In elimination, the equations are manipulated to eliminate one variable, and then the remaining equation is solved for the remaining variable.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. If the equations are consistent (they have at least one solution), they can have one solution if the lines intersect at one point, infinite solutions if the lines are the same (they are equivalent), or no solutions if the lines are parallel and do not intersect.

4. What is the difference between a consistent and an inconsistent system of linear equations?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one solution, meaning the equations intersect at one point. An inconsistent system has no solutions, meaning the equations are parallel and do not intersect. This can also be thought of as having no common solution, or the solution set being empty.

5. Can a system of linear equations have more than two variables?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have any number of variables. The number of equations must match the number of variables in order to have a unique solution, but there are infinitely many possible solutions for systems with more variables than equations. These types of systems are often solved using matrices and other advanced methods.