Considering PhD in experimental physics and facilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of choosing a graduate school for physics with a focus on experimental condensed matter/physical chemistry. The speaker is concerned about the availability and quality of facilities, such as NMR, mass spec, and clean rooms, at smaller schools compared to larger state schools. They also mention the potential need to travel to national labs or colleagues' labs for certain equipment or resources. The conversation concludes by noting that the availability of facilities and resources may vary depending on the individual faculty at each school.
flemmyd
Like many, I'm applying to graduate schools in physics this fall. My interests lie in experimental condensed matter/physical chemistry, although I think this question applies to any field.

As we all know, modern science is big and expensive. I was considering some smaller schools, but was cautious about their facilities. I currently attend a large state school with plenty of NMR, mass spec, electronics, laser, etc etc facilities (and PhD technicians who run them) but am curious about how it compares to smaller schools without the same resources.

Would I be doing lots of prep work and then flying to a national lab/colleague's lab every month because I don't have a fancy quadrupole ion trap mass spec, for example? Or if I want to do semiconductor physics but don't have access to a clean room? (would schools without clean rooms not have professors doing research in this area for this reason?)

And if I my interests were more computational, how does it compare to supercomputer time?

Physics news on Phys.org
flemmyd said:
Would I be doing lots of prep work and then flying to a national lab/colleague's lab every month because I don't have a fancy quadrupole ion trap mass spec, for example? Or if I want to do semiconductor physics but don't have access to a clean room? (would schools without clean rooms not have professors doing research in this area for this reason?)

Could be either. Depends on the place and how individual faculty have arranged things.

Related to Considering PhD in experimental physics and facilities

1. What is a PhD in experimental physics and facilities?

A PhD in experimental physics and facilities is an advanced research degree that focuses on conducting experiments and utilizing specialized facilities to gain a deeper understanding of the physical world. It involves designing and implementing experiments, analyzing data, and developing theories to explain the observed phenomena.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in experimental physics and facilities?

There are several benefits to pursuing a PhD in experimental physics and facilities, including acquiring advanced research skills, gaining expertise in a specific area of physics, and developing critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. It also opens up opportunities for academic and industry careers, and can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and contributions to the scientific community.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in experimental physics and facilities?

The length of time to complete a PhD in experimental physics and facilities varies, but typically takes 4-6 years. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. The time may also vary depending on the individual's research project, funding availability, and other factors.

4. What are the requirements for admission to a PhD program in experimental physics and facilities?

The specific requirements for admission to a PhD program in experimental physics and facilities may vary between universities, but generally include a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Some programs may also require applicants to take the GRE or other standardized tests.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a PhD in experimental physics and facilities?

Individuals with a PhD in experimental physics and facilities can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private industry. They may work as research scientists, professors, data analysts, or in various technical roles. They may also have the opportunity to lead research projects, collaborate with other scientists, and contribute to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.