Conservative force fields and line integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses conservative vector fields and line integrals. The problem involves finding the work done by a force as a particle moves along a given path, determining whether the force is conservative, and finding a function that represents the force. Two methods are used to calculate the work, resulting in different answers due to a small error in the parametric equations.
joriarty
Conservative vector fields and line integrals

Homework Statement

A particle is subject to a force F defined by [tex]F\left( x,y \right)=\left(\begin{array}{c} y^{2} \\ 2xy \end{array}\right)[/tex]. The particle moves in a straight line C from (-1,2) to (1,3).[a] Calculate the work done by the force F as the particle moves along the path C by evaluating the appropriate line integral directly.

Show that F is a conservative field and find a function φ such that ∇φ = F.

[c] Use your answer to part (b) to calculate the work done by an alternative method.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have, or at least thought I had, completed this problem. Until the answers I got using each method (parts a and c) were completely different. I have no idea what I have done wrong :(. Probably a really silly mistake but any help is appreciated!

[a] I worked out the equation of the line as being y = 0.5x + 5/2. Thus [tex]W=\int_{\left( -1,2 \right)}^{\left( 1,3 \right)}{\left(\begin{array}{c} y^{2} \\ 2xy \end{array}\right)}\cdot \left(\begin{array}{c} dx \\ dy \end{array}\right)=\int_{\left( -1,2 \right)}^{\left( 1,3 \right)}{y^{2}dx+2xydy}[/tex]

This needs to be written parametrically. Let x=x(t) and y=y(t). Choose t=2y. Thus using the equation of the line between the two points as above, x = 2y - 5= t - 5 and y = t/2, and the limits of the integral become 4 ≤ t ≤ 6.

So dx becomes (dx/dt)dt = tdt and dy becomes (dy/dt)dt = (1/2)dt.

The integral is now [tex]W=\int_{t=4}^{6}{\frac{t^{2}}{4}t\cdot dt\; +2\left( t-5 \right)\left( \frac{t}{2} \right)\frac{1}{2}dt}=\; \int_{t=4}^{6}{\frac{t^{3}}{4}+\frac{t^{2}}{2}-\frac{5t}{2}dt}=\; \frac{196}{3}[/tex]

We want a function φ such that ∇φ = F.

(1) φx = y2
(2) φy = 2xy

Integrating equation (1) with respect to x, I get (3) φ = xy2 + G(y) where G(y) is an arbitrary function of y.

Differentiating (3) with respect to y and setting it equal with (2), I get φy = 2xy + dG/dy = 2xy so dG/dy = 0 and this means that G = c, an arbitrary constant. So φ = xy2 + c.

[c] [tex]\int_{c}^{}{F\cdot dr=\phi \left( 1,3 \right)-\phi \left( -1,2 \right)=13}[/tex]

I am inclined to believe my answer for part [c] more than the one I got for part [a] simply due to the fact that 196/3 seems to be an unusually large number. But I really am stuck with where I have gone wrong, these answers should match!

Thank you :)

FYI this is part of a 10% assignment, but my lecturer does allow us to discuss problems with others, it's just what we write down on the paper that has to be our own understanding and working. Unfortunately no one else I know has even started it yet...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

joriarty said:
This needs to be written parametrically. Let x=x(t) and y=y(t). Choose t=2y. Thus using the equation of the line between the two points as above, x = 2y - 5= t - 5 and y = t/2, and the limits of the integral become 4 ≤ t ≤ 6.

So dx becomes (dx/dt)dt = tdt and dy becomes (dy/dt)dt = (1/2)dt.
]

Check your dx again :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
]

Check your dx again :wink:

I knew it was a silly little mistake! All works out now, thanks!

Related to Conservative force fields and line integrals

1. What is a conservative force field?

A conservative force field is a type of force field in physics where the work done by the force on an object is independent of the path taken. This means that the amount of work done only depends on the initial and final positions of the object, not on the path it takes to get there.

2. How is a conservative force field represented mathematically?

A conservative force field can be represented mathematically using a vector field, where the force at any point is given by the gradient of a scalar potential function. This potential function is unique up to a constant, and can be used to calculate the work done by the force on an object along a given path.

3. What is the relationship between conservative force fields and line integrals?

Line integrals are used to calculate the work done by a force along a given path. In the case of conservative force fields, the line integral only depends on the endpoints of the path and not on the actual path taken. This is because the force is conservative and the work done is independent of the path.

4. Can a non-conservative force field be represented by a line integral?

Yes, a non-conservative force field can also be represented by a line integral. However, in this case, the line integral will depend on the path taken, as the force is not conservative. This means that the work done by the force will vary depending on the specific path taken by the object.

5. What are some examples of conservative force fields?

Some examples of conservative force fields include gravitational force, electric force, and magnetic force. These forces are conservative because the work done by them only depends on the initial and final positions of the object and not on the path taken. Other examples of conservative force fields include spring force and conservative non-contact forces such as tension and normal force.