Conservation of Mass Fluids Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity equation for a water wave propagating through a channel of thickness ##b##. The equation is given as $$\partial_t(b(H+\zeta))+\partial_x(bHu)=0,$$ but there is some confusion about whether the disturbance ##\zeta## should be included in the second term. After some discussion, it is determined that the book likely dropped the ##\zeta## because it is very small compared to the other terms.
member 428835
Hi PF! Suppose we have a water wave with mean depth ##H## with disturbance ##\zeta## above/below ##H## propagating through a channel of thickness ##b##. The book parenthetically remarks that the continuity equation becomes $$\partial_t(b(H+\zeta))+\partial_x(bHu)=0.$$ However, when I try deriving this I write $$\partial_t(b(H+\zeta) \Delta x )=ub(H+\zeta)|_x-b(H+\zeta)u|_{x+\Delta x}\implies\\
\partial_t(b(H+\zeta))+\partial_x(b(H+\zeta)u)=0$$ which is not quite what they have. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you wrote appears correct to me. This is just a standard continuity equation ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J}+\frac{\partial{\rho}}{\partial{t}}=0 ## if I'm not mistaken. I don't think you can just drop the ## \zeta ## in the second term.

Charles Link said:
What you wrote appears correct to me. This is just a standard continuity equation ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J}+\frac{\partial{\rho}}{\partial{t}}=0 ## if I'm not mistaken. I don't think you can just drop the ## \zeta ## in the second term.
The book does, though they do say the channel is very long compared to height. Still, I agree with what you wrote, though I doubt the book made a mistake dropping the ##\zeta## since further work requires their version. Edit: I figured it out: I believe ##\zeta \sim A## where ##A## is wave amplitude. Also, ##u\sim A/P## where ##P## is wave period. Then ##uA\sim O(A^2/P)## and is very small relative to ##O(AL/P)##.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Conservation of Mass Fluids Wave

1. What is the conservation of mass principle in fluid dynamics?

The conservation of mass principle in fluid dynamics states that the total mass of a fluid remains constant over time within a closed system, despite any changes in its physical state or flow patterns.

2. How does the conservation of mass apply to fluids in motion?

In fluids in motion, the conservation of mass is expressed through the continuity equation, which states that the rate of mass flow into a given volume must equal the rate of mass flow out of that same volume.

3. Can the conservation of mass be violated in fluid systems?

No, the conservation of mass is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, in certain situations where the fluid is compressible or there are chemical reactions, the mass may appear to decrease, but it is actually being converted into other forms of energy.

4. How does the conservation of mass relate to the conservation of energy?

The conservation of mass and the conservation of energy are closely related principles in fluid dynamics. In a closed system, the total mass and energy must remain constant, and energy can be converted into mass and vice versa through processes such as nuclear reactions.

5. What role does the conservation of mass play in environmental conservation efforts?

The conservation of mass plays a critical role in environmental conservation efforts, particularly in managing and protecting water resources. By understanding and applying the principles of mass conservation, scientists and conservationists can better monitor and regulate the use and distribution of water, ensuring its sustainability for future generations.