Fluids: Continuity and Conservation of Mass

In hydrodynamics, the volume of a fluid can change (unlike in non-relativistic mechanics).In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the continuity equation and conservation of volume in fluids. The speaker mentions using both the local laws and integral laws, as well as the incompressibility constraint. It is clarified that the continuity equation is for mass conservation and the incompressibility constraint is for the conservation of volume. The conversation also delves into the mathematical relationships between these laws and how they are used to derive results in fluid mechanics.
member 428835
Hi PF!

In fluids I've noticed many authors use the continuity equation with an integral form of conservation of volume (assume density is constant). Is this double counting? Example: let fluid velocity inside an idle bubble be ##\vec u = \nabla \phi##. Conservation of mass implies ##\nabla u = 0 \implies \nabla^2\phi = 0##. Let the surface be perturbed, so conservation of volume requires ##\int_S \nabla \phi \cdot \hat n \, dS = 0## where ##S## is the bubble surface and ##\hat n## is a unit normal to ##S##.

Why use both?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always easier to work with the local laws first and then translate them to the integral laws using the integral theorems by Gauss, Stokes, and Green.

In your case the point is the continuity equation for the mass density and current,
$$\partial_t \rho + \nabla \cdot \vec{j}=0.$$
In terms of the velocity field you have
$$\partial_t \rho + \nabla \cdot (rho \vec{u})=0.$$
I guess what you call "conservation of volume" is in fact incompressibility, i.e.,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}=0,$$
which implies that you can write the continuity equation as
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{u} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \rho=0.$$
In the 2nd part of your posting, you however only use the incompressibility condition for the special case of an irrotational fluid. Using Stokes's theorem you get
$$0=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u} = \int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{u}=0.$$
I don't see, where you need the continuity equation for mass to get this result or where you need the assumption of a potential flow.

Likes Orodruin and BvU
I'm sorry, but I'm not following you. I understand how to derive the differential equation ##\nabla \cdot \vec u = 0## assuming ##\rho = const##, and I also understnad the case where ##rho## is not constant. I also understand applying divergence theorem. Since ##\nabla \cdot \vec u## is conservation of mass (or conservation of volume since density is constant), this gives the same information as ##\int_S \vec u \cdot \hat n \, dS = 0##: both conserve volume. Why use both?

You mix up different things. The conservation of mass is expressed by the continuity equation
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\rho \vec{u})=0.$$
This holds for any (non-relativistic) fluid.

Then there is the special case of incompressible fluids, which is a kinematical constraint, saying that the volume of a material fluid element is conserved. It is expressed by
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u}=0.$$
For the integral you quote you only need this incompressibility constraint. It is independent of the mass-conservation continuity equation. It is an additional constraint, approximately valid for liquids (hydrodynamics) but not for gases (aerodynamics).

Of course, if mass is conserved and for incompressible fluids the volume of any material fluid element, then the density must be conserved as well. Mathmatically this follows from
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\rho \vec{u})=\vec{u} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \rho + \rho \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{u} =\stackrel{\text{incompress}}{=} \vec{u} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \rho,$$
i.e., the continuity equation becomes for incompressible fluids [edit: corrected in response to @joshmccraney 's remark in #5]
$$\partial_t \vec{\rho} + \vec{u} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \rho=0,$$
but on the left-hand side this is nothing else than the material time derivative ##\mathrm{D}_t \rho##, and thus this equation precisely proves formally what's obvious from mass conservation plus incompressibility: the density of a material fluid element doesn't change.

Last edited:
If ##\rho## is constant and volume does not change, then mass conservation is
$$\partial_t \int_V \rho dV + \int_{\partial V} \rho \vec u \cdot \hat n dS = 0\implies\\
\partial_t \int_V dV+ \int_{\partial V} \vec u \cdot \hat n dS= 0\implies\\
\int_{\partial V} \vec u \cdot \hat n dS= 0\implies\\
\int_V \nabla \cdot \hat u dV = 0$$
Since this is true for arbitrary ##V##, then it must be that ##\nabla \cdot \hat u = 0##. How is it that the surface flux being zero (3rd equation) and this expression are different if one is derived from the other?

I know they are different because I believe you and the authors I've read, but I'm confused, as noted above.

Also, I think the last equation you wrote has a few typos, but I understand what you meant.

Indeed, I've corrected the typo. Thanks for pointing it out. Of course, your calculation is correct. One should only mention that ##V=V(t)## is a "material volume", i.e., the volume consisting of a fixed set of particles.

Related to Fluids: Continuity and Conservation of Mass

1. What is the principle of continuity in fluids?

The principle of continuity states that the mass flow rate of a fluid remains constant throughout a pipe or conduit, regardless of changes in cross-sectional area. In other words, the volume of fluid passing through a point in a given amount of time is the same, regardless of the shape or size of the pipe.

2. How is the continuity equation expressed mathematically?

The continuity equation is expressed as: A1v1 = A2v2, where A represents the cross-sectional area and v represents the velocity at two different points in a fluid flow system. This equation shows that as the cross-sectional area decreases, the velocity of the fluid must increase in order to maintain a constant mass flow rate.

3. What is the conservation of mass principle in fluids?

The conservation of mass principle states that the total mass of a closed system of fluids remains constant over time. This means that the mass of a fluid cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one location to another within the system.

4. How is the conservation of mass expressed mathematically?

The conservation of mass is expressed as: ∂ρ/∂t + ∇ · (ρv) = 0, where ρ represents the density of the fluid, t represents time, ∂ represents a partial derivative, and ∇ represents the divergence operator. This equation is also known as the continuity equation in differential form.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid continuity and conservation of mass?

Fluid continuity and conservation of mass are important principles in many areas, such as fluid mechanics, hydraulics, and aerodynamics. These principles are used to design efficient pipelines, pumps, and turbines, and to understand the flow of fluids in natural systems such as rivers and oceans. They are also crucial in the study and design of aircraft and other vehicles that rely on fluid dynamics for lift and propulsion.