Confusion regarding use of differentiation and unit vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle subject to an isotropic two-dimensional harmonic central force. The goal is to find the trajectory of the particle, which is shown to be an ellipse. The discussion also touches on the use of the chain rule in solving the equation for Newton's 2nd law of motion and clarifies the difference between using rectangular and polar coordinates. A helpful resource and related forum thread are also mentioned.
AmagicalFishy
Hey, everyone. I am going to post a question—but it's not the question I need help with. It's something deeper (and way more troubling).

Consider a particle of mass m subject to an isotropic two-dimensional harmonic central force F= −k[itex]\vec{r}[/itex], where k is a positive constant. At t=0, we throw the particle from position [itex]\vec{r}_0[/itex] = A[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] with velocity [itex]\vec{v}_0[/itex] = V[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. Show that the trajectory of the particle is, in general, an ellipse.

So my plan is just to solve the equation for Newton's 2nd law of motion, get a 2nd order differential equation, etc. The confusion comes in when I ask myself "When do I need to make use of the chain rule?"

It seems easy enough to me to just take the equation [itex]k\vec{r} + m\ddot{\vec{r}} = 0[/itex] at face value but (and this may seem like a silly question)...

... isn't [itex]\vec{r} = r\hat{r}[/itex]?
So [itex]\dot{\vec{r}} = \dot{r}\hat{r} + r\dot{\hat{r}}[/itex]?

... and then I use the chain rule again to get the second derivative: [itex]\hat{r}\ddot{r} + \dot{r}\dot{\hat{r}} + \dot{r}\dot{\hat{r}} + \ddot{\hat{r}}r[/itex]

I'm sure I'm over-complicating things, but this is the type of confusion I always end up wasting tons of my time on, and I have a real hard time finding an answer in textbooks or Wikipedia.

The only way I can consolidate the two methods is by thinking: The force isn't dependent on θ, so the 1st and 2nd derivatives of θ are zero. Since the 1st and 2nd derivatives of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] depend on the derivatives on theta, those are also zero—and that ugly combination above simplifies to [itex]\ddot{r}\hat{r}[/itex].

Is this correct? It sounds fine to me, but questions like this (can I do this? Or should I approach it, mathematically, like this? etc.) take up so much of my time that I end up spending multiple hours on problems I realistically should spend only a couple of minutes on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Confusion regarding use of differentiation and unit vectors

What is differentiation and how is it used?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. It is often used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

How are unit vectors used in differentiation?

Unit vectors are used in differentiation to indicate direction. They are typically used to represent the direction of a vector or the direction of change in a function.

What is the difference between differentiation and unit vectors?

Differentiation is a mathematical process while unit vectors are mathematical objects used to indicate direction. Differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function, while unit vectors are used to represent direction in that function.

Why is there confusion about the use of differentiation and unit vectors?

There may be confusion about the use of differentiation and unit vectors because they are both mathematical concepts that involve direction. It is important to understand their individual purposes and how they are used in different contexts.

How can I better understand the use of differentiation and unit vectors?

To better understand the use of differentiation and unit vectors, it is helpful to practice using them in different mathematical problems and contexts. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor who can provide explanations and examples.