Derivation of the Helmholtz equation

In summary: I'm teaching theoretical physics since almost 40 years now, and I've never seen this before. Sorry, but I think it's a bad idea to do this. In summary, The Helmholtz equation is a time-independent form of the wave equation that can be derived using the Fourier transform. It is a member of a larger set of equations of varying order, and can also be expressed in terms of the Fourier transform. It is important to note the difference in notation used in deriving the equation, as it can lead to different results.
redtree
TL;DR Summary
Derivation from the Fourier transform
I am trying to understand the Helmholtz equation, where the Helmholtz equation can be considered as the time-independent form of the wave equation. It seems to me that the Helmholtz equation can be derived from the Fourier transform, such that it is part of a larger set of equations of varying order.
Given a differentiable function ##f(\vec{x})##, I note the differentiation property of the Fourier transform,

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\partial_{\vec{x}} f(\vec{x}) &= \partial_{\vec{x}} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \hat{f}(\vec{k}) d\vec{k}

\\

&= \int_{\mathbb{R}} \partial_{\vec{x}} e^{2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \hat{f}(\vec{k}) d\vec{k}

\\

&= \int_{\mathbb{R}} 2 \pi i \vec{k} e^{2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \hat{f}(\vec{k}) d\vec{k}

\\

&= \mathscr{F}^{-1} \left[2 \pi i \vec{k} \hat{f}(\vec{k}) \right]

\end{split}

\end{equation}
The converse is also true, such that

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

2 \pi i \vec{k} \hat{f}(\vec{k}) &= \mathscr{F}\left[\partial_{\vec{x}} f(\vec{x}) \right]

\\

&= \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \bigg( \partial_{\vec{x}} f(\vec{x}) \bigg) d\vec{x}

\end{split}

\end{equation}
Regarding ##2 \pi i \vec{k} \hat{f}(\vec{k})##, I also note the following:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

2 \pi i \vec{k} \hat{f}(\vec{k}) &= 2 \pi i \vec{k} \mathscr{F}\left[f(\vec{x}) \right]

\\

&= 2 \pi i \vec{k} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} f(\vec{x}) d\vec{x}

\\

&= \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \bigg( 2 \pi i \vec{k} f(\vec{x}) \bigg) d\vec{x}

\end{split}

\end{equation}Combining these last two equations,

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \bigg( \partial_{\vec{x}} f(\vec{x}) \bigg) d\vec{x}&= \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-2 \pi i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \bigg( 2 \pi i \vec{k} f(\vec{x}) \bigg) d\vec{x}

\end{split}

\end{equation}

which simplifies to

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\vec{k} f(\vec{x}) &= -\frac{i}{(2 \pi) } \partial_{\vec{x}} f(\vec{x})

\end{split}

\end{equation}
This same holds true for any ##n##-th derivative, such that

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\big(\vec{k} \big)^n f(\vec{x}) &= \left(-\frac{i}{2 \pi} \right)^n \big(\partial_{\vec{x}} \big)^n f(\vec{x})

\end{split}

\end{equation}
Setting ##n=2## produces the Helmholtz equation

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\big( \vec{k} \big)^2 f(\vec{x}) &= -\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^2} \big( \partial_{\vec{x}} \big)^2 f(\vec{x})

\end{split}

\end{equation}

which would make the Helmholtz equation the member of order ##n=2## of a larger set of Helmholtz-type equations

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a bit complicated. Just start from the wave equation for some field ##\Phi(t,\vec{x})##
$$\left (\frac{1}{c^2} \partial_t^2 - \Delta \right) \Phi(t,\vec{x})=0.$$
Here ##c## is the phase velocity of the waves.

Now we express the field as a Fourier integral with respect to time. Using the HEP physicists convention concerning the factors ##2 \pi## and the sign in the exponential this reads
$$\Phi(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} \omega \frac{1}{2 \pi} \tilde{\Phi}(\omega,\vec{x}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t) \; \Leftrightarrow \; \tilde{\Phi}(\omega,\vec{x}) = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} t \tilde{\Phi}(\omega) \exp(+\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$
Now plug the first form of the Fourier transformation into the wave equation (just assuming you can integrate under the integral)
$$\left (\frac{1}{c^2} \partial_t^2 - \Delta \right) \Phi(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} \omega \frac{1}{2 \pi} (-k^2-\Delta) \tilde{\phi}(\omega,\vec{x})=0 \; \Rightarrow \; (k^2+\Delta) \tilde{\Phi}(\omega,\vec{x})=0.$$
Here ##k=\omega/c##, and that's the Helmholtz equation.

Likes Delta2 and ergospherical
I rewrite the derivation you cite in slightly different notation as follows:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\Phi(x_0,\vec{x}_3) &= \int_{\mathbb{R}} \hat{\phi}(k_0,\vec{x}_3) e^{- 2 \pi i k_0 x_0} dk_0

\end{split}

\end{equation}

where ##\vec{x}_4 = [x_0, x_1, x_2, x_3] = [x_0, \vec{x}_3]## and ##\vec{k}_4 = [k_0, k_1, k_2, k_3] = [k_0, \vec{k}_3]##
Given the wave equation:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\bigg(\partial_{x_0}^2 - \partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 \bigg) \Phi(x_0,\vec{x}_3) &= 0

\end{split}

\end{equation}

where ##\partial_{x_0} = \partial_t## and ##\partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 = \Delta##
Combining the two equations

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\bigg(\partial_{x_0}^2 - \partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 \bigg) \Phi(x_0,\vec{x}_3) &= \bigg(\partial_{x_0}^2 - \partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 \bigg) \int_{\mathbb{R}} \hat{\phi}(k_0,\vec{x}_3) e^{- 2 \pi i k_0 x_0} dk_0

\\

&= \bigg(\left(2 \pi k_0\right)^2 - \partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 \bigg) \hat{\Phi}(k_0,\vec{x}_3)

\\

&= 0

\end{split}

\end{equation}

which I summarize:

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\bigg(\left(2 \pi k_0\right)^2 - \partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 \bigg) \hat{\Phi}(k_0,\vec{x}_3) &= 0

\end{split}

\end{equation}
Comparing this to the equation I derived (in similar notation)

\begin{equation}

\begin{split}

\bigg( \left(2 \pi \vec{k}_3\right)^2 - \partial_{\vec{x}_3}^2 \bigg) \Phi(\vec{x}_3) &= 0

\end{split}

\end{equation}
Thus, the equation I derived above is different from the Helmholtz equation. I get it. Thanks. Is there a name for the equation I derived. It seems correct. I don't see a mistake in its derivation. Am I missing something?

You forget the factor ##\mathrm{i}^2=-1## from the two time-derivatives! BTW it's very complicated to introduce the ##2 \pi## in the exponent and working with ##\nu## instead of ##\omega##. I've seen only one textbook (Weizel, Lehrbuch der Theoretischen Physik, an otherwise excellent textbook, but as far as I know not available in English), where this is done, and you suffer from a lot of factors ##2 \pi##.

1. What is the Helmholtz equation and why is it important in science?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of wave-like phenomena in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of waves in different systems, from sound and light waves to electromagnetic and quantum waves.

2. Who is Hermann von Helmholtz and how did he derive the Helmholtz equation?

Hermann von Helmholtz was a German physicist and physician who made significant contributions to the fields of physics, physiology, and mathematics. He derived the Helmholtz equation in 1859 by combining the equations for the conservation of energy and the continuity equation.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the derivation of the Helmholtz equation?

The key assumptions made in the derivation of the Helmholtz equation include the conservation of energy, the continuity of the medium, and the absence of sources or sinks of energy. It also assumes that the medium is linear and homogeneous, and that the wave is propagating in a single direction.

4. How is the Helmholtz equation used in practical applications?

The Helmholtz equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in acoustics, optics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of waves in different systems, such as in musical instruments, medical imaging, and communication technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to the Helmholtz equation?

While the Helmholtz equation is a powerful tool for understanding wave phenomena, it does have some limitations. It is a linear equation, which means it cannot accurately describe nonlinear effects. It also assumes a stationary medium, and therefore cannot account for changes in the medium over time. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of waves, such as shock waves or surface waves.