Confusing variable change calculation

In summary, the kinetic energy operator for a system of N particles in quantum mechanics is given by T = \sum_{i = 1}^N -\frac{\Delta_i}{2\mu_i}, where \Delta_i represents the Laplacian in the variable r_i. Making the change of variables \eta_i = r_i - r_N, the kinetic energy in the new variables is denoted as T' and is equal to \sum_{i = 1}^{N-1} -\frac{\Delta_i}{2\mu_i'} + \sum_{i < j} \nabla_i \cdot \nabla_j, where the Laplacian and gradient operators are now evaluated at the
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose you start with a system of N particles identified by position vectors [itex]r_1, r_2, \ldots, r_N[/itex] and masses [itex]\mu_1, \mu_2, \ldots, \mu_N[/itex]. Then (quantum mechanically) the kinetic energy operator for this system is given by (assuming [itex]\hbar = 1[/itex])

[tex]
T = \sum_{i = 1}^N -\frac{\Delta_i}{2\mu_i},
[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta_i = \Delta_{r_i}[/itex] is the Laplacian in the variable [itex]r_i[/itex]. Now, let's make the change of variables [itex]\eta_i = r_i - r_N[/itex]. According to the book I have, the kinetic energy in the new variables looks like

[tex]
T' = \sum_{i = 1}^{N-1} -\frac{\Delta_i}{2\mu_i'} + \sum_{i < j} \nabla_i \cdot \nabla_j,
[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta_i = \Delta_{\eta_i}[/itex], [itex]\nabla_i = \nabla_{\eta_i}[/itex], and

[tex]
\frac{1}{\mu'_i} = \frac{1}{\mu_i} + \frac{1}{\mu_N}.
[/tex]

I simply do not see how this is true. It seems that, if one applied the chain rule, one obtains [itex]\Delta_{\eta_i} = \Delta_{r_i}[/itex]; is that not true?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It depends on the connection we use, in this case probably Levi-Civita, because the coordinate transformation changes the evaluation point of the gradient field.

Related to Confusing variable change calculation

1. What is a confusing variable change calculation?

A confusing variable change calculation is a mathematical process that involves changing the variables or parameters in an equation to simplify it or solve for a specific unknown value. This can be confusing because it requires understanding the relationships between the different variables and how changing them affects the overall equation.

2. Why is variable change calculation important?

Variable change calculation is important because it allows for more efficient and accurate mathematical computations. It can also help to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when performing variable change calculations?

Some common mistakes people make when performing variable change calculations include using incorrect formulas, forgetting to account for all variables, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully check each step and make sure all variables are correctly accounted for.

4. How can I improve my understanding of variable change calculations?

To improve your understanding of variable change calculations, it is helpful to practice with different types of equations and variables. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or ask a math teacher or tutor for help.

5. When should I use variable change calculations?

Variable change calculations can be used in various mathematical fields, including physics, engineering, and statistics. They are particularly useful when solving differential equations, optimizing functions, or analyzing data. It is important to identify when a variable change calculation can simplify a problem and make it easier to solve.