Slight confusion in proof of Hadamard's Lemma

In summary, Wald's book introduces the so-called Hadamard's Lemma, which states that for any smooth function F: \mathbb{R}^{n}\rightarrow\mathbb{R} and any a=(a^{1},\ldots,a^{n})\in\mathbb{R}^{n} there exist C^{\infty} functions H_{\mu} such that F(x)=F(a)+\sum_{\mu =1}^{n}\left(x^{\mu}-a^{\mu}\right)H_{\mu}(x). Furthermore, we have that H_{\mu}(a)=\frac{\partial F}{
"Don't panic!"
I've been reading Wald's book on General Relativity and in chapter 3 he introduces and uses the so-called Hadamard's Lemma:
For any smooth (i.e. [itex]C^{\infty}[/itex]) function [itex]F: \mathbb{R}^{n}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] and any [itex]a=(a^{1},\ldots,a^{n})\in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] there exist [itex]C^{\infty}[/itex] functions [itex]H_{\mu}[/itex] such that [itex]\forall \; x=(x^{1},\ldots,x^{n})\in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] we have [tex]F(x)=F(a)+\sum_{\mu =1}^{n}\left(x^{\mu}-a^{\mu}\right)H_{\mu}(x)[/tex]
Furthermore, we have that [tex]H_{\mu}(a)=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^{\mu}}\Bigg\vert_{x=a}[/tex]

Now, I see how this can work for [itex]n=1[/itex] as it follows directly from the fundamental theorem of calculus that for [itex]F:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] we have [tex]F(x)-F(a)=\int_{a}^{x}\frac{dF(s)}{ds}ds[/tex]
and so, upon making the substitution [itex]s=a+t(x-a)[/itex], it follows that [tex]F(x)-F(a)=(x-a)\int_{0}^{1}\frac{dF(a+t(x-a))}{dt}dt[/tex] and so we can choose [tex]H_{1}(x)=\int_{0}^{1}\frac{dF(a+t(x-a))}{dt}dt[/tex] such that [tex]F(x)-F(a)=(x-a)H_{1}(x)[/tex]
However, I'm unsure how to show this for general [itex]n[/itex]?! I get that one could define a function [itex]h:[0,1]\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]h(t)=F(a+t(x-a))[/itex], but I don't quite see how it follows that [tex] \frac{dh}{dt}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}(x^{i}-a^{i})\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^{i}}[/tex] which is the form I've seen in some proofs. My confusion arises in how do you get [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^{i}}[/itex]? Surely one would have to introduce a change of variables such that [itex]y=y(t)=a+t(x-a) [/itex], and then [tex]\frac{dF(y)}{dt}= \sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{dy^{i}}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{i}}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}(x^{i}-a^{i})\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{i}}[/tex] Or is it just that we consider [itex]F[/itex] to define a one parameter family of functions (dependent on [itex]x[/itex]), parametrised by [itex]t[/itex]?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could just apply the multivariable Taylor's theorem. But I'll give a hint for a direct proof:

1) Reduce to the case ##F(0) = 0##.
2) Define for each ##x##, the function ##h_x(t) = F(tx)##. Then ##F(x) = \int_0^1 h^\prime_x(t)dt##. I'll let you take it from here.

I'm not sure I quite understand the second step of the process that you've given? In a proof I've seen they define [itex]h: [0,1]\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [tex]t\mapsto F(a+t(x-a))[/tex] where [itex]a\in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is fixed. It then states that clearly [tex]h'(t)=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(x^{i}-a^{i}\right)\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^{i}}[/tex]

I mean, I see intuitively that [itex]h[/itex] maps to a function of [itex]x=(x^{1},\ldots,x^{n})[/itex] with a fixed value of [itex]t[/itex] (a kind of scaling factor?!), but I'm struggling to rationalise it in a mathematical sense in my head.
I may be being a little stupid, but I just don't see how the above relation follows (unless by the chain rule that I put in my first post)?! (Sorry, I seem to having a mental block over it).

Could one just define a function [itex]x':=g(t)=a+t(x-a)[/itex] such that [itex]x'^{i}=a^{i}+t(x^{i}-a^{i})[/itex]. Then, [tex]\frac{d(F \circ g) (t)}{dt}=\frac{dF(x'(t))}{dt} \\ \qquad\qquad\quad=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\partial F}{\partial x'^{i}}\frac{dx'^{i}}{dt} =\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\partial F}{\partial x'^{i}}\left(x^{i}-a^{i}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
It should just be the multivariable chain rule.

Related to Slight confusion in proof of Hadamard's Lemma

1. What is Hadamard's Lemma?

Hadamard's Lemma is a mathematical principle that states that a function can be approximated by a linear combination of its derivatives at a given point. This lemma is commonly used in mathematical analysis and optimization problems.

2. What is the proof of Hadamard's Lemma?

The proof of Hadamard's Lemma involves using Taylor's Theorem to approximate a function around a given point. This approximation is then used to show that the function can be expressed as a linear combination of its derivatives at that point.

3. What is the significance of Hadamard's Lemma?

Hadamard's Lemma is significant because it allows for the approximation of complicated functions by simpler ones, making it a useful tool in many mathematical and scientific fields. It also provides a way to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point.

4. Are there any limitations to Hadamard's Lemma?

Yes, there are some limitations to Hadamard's Lemma. It only applies to functions that are smooth and have derivatives of all orders at the given point. It also does not provide an exact solution, but rather an approximation.

5. How is Hadamard's Lemma related to other mathematical theorems?

Hadamard's Lemma is related to other important mathematical theorems, such as the Mean Value Theorem and the Taylor's Theorem. It is also closely connected to the concept of differentiability and the study of optimization problems.