Confusing integral (from a QM problem, of course)

In summary, Gebri was having trouble with Problem 1.9 from Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, and was stuck because the manual solution skipped a step. After trying integration by parts and differentiation, he was able to find the answer by using a result from calculus.
Gebri Mishtaku

Homework Statement

The mathematical complication I'm having comes from Problem 1.9 in Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. I'm just going to provide the mathematics here:
The norm squared of the wave function is [itex]\ \left|\Psi \right|^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2am}{h\pi})^{1/2} e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h}}[/itex] where h is actually h bar (h/2pi). To find the expectation value [itex]<x^{2}>[/itex] I need to evaluate [itex]\int x^{2} \left|\Psi \right|^{2}dx[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\ \left|\Psi \right|^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2am}{h\pi})^{1/2} e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h}}[/itex]

[itex]\int x^{2} \left|\Psi \right|^{2}dx (-\infty to \infty)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integration by parts together the gaussian integral but still nothing, with and without the argument that the integrand is even. I'm left with infinities. The solution on the manual (Problem 1.9) http://www.thebestfriend.org/wp-content/uploads/IntroductiontoQuantumMechanics2thEdition.pdf skips the steps I'm having trouble with and immediately gives a finite result. I tried mathematica even and it gives me some sort of error function I've never seen before. Please, if you do have the time I would really appreciate if you made a step by step calculation of the integral in order for me to understand the process. I'm still quite not acquainted with the higher level special functions (for instance, the error function) because I'm not an undergrad yet so please keep that in mind if you so desire to provide an explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gebri Mishtaku said:

Homework Statement

The mathematical complication I'm having comes from Problem 1.9 in Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. I'm just going to provide the mathematics here:
The norm squared of the wave function is [itex]\ \left|\Psi \right|^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2am}{h\pi})^{1/2} e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h}}[/itex] where h is actually h bar (h/2pi). To find the expectation value [itex]<x^{2}>[/itex] I need to evaluate [itex]\int x^{2} \left|\Psi \right|^{2}dx[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\ \left|\Psi \right|^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2am}{h\pi})^{1/2} e^{\frac{-2amx^{2}}{h}}[/itex]

[itex]\int x^{2} \left|\Psi \right|^{2}dx (-\infty to \infty)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integration by parts together the gaussian integral but still nothing, with and without the argument that the integrand is even. I'm left with infinities. The solution on the manual (Problem 1.9) http://www.thebestfriend.org/wp-content/uploads/IntroductiontoQuantumMechanics2thEdition.pdf skips the steps I'm having trouble with and immediately gives a finite result. I tried mathematica even and it gives me some sort of error function I've never seen before. Please, if you do have the time I would really appreciate if you made a step by step calculation of the integral in order for me to understand the process. I'm still quite not acquainted with the higher level special functions (for instance, the error function) because I'm not an undergrad yet so please keep that in mind if you so desire to provide an explanation.

Hi Gebri!

Your integral is basically:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2e^{-bx^2}\,dx$$
and you know the following result:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-bx^2}\,dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{b}}\,\,\,\,\,\,(b>0)$$
Differentiate the above with respect to ##b## to obtain the required integral.

Consider [tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2e^{-Ax^2}\,dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x \frac{d}{dx}\left(-\frac{1}{2A}e^{-Ax^2}\right)\,dx[/tex] with [itex]A > 0[/itex]. Integrating once by parts gives [tex]
I = \left[ -\frac{xe^{-Ax^2}}{2A}\right]_{-\infty}^\infty
+ \frac{1}{2A}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-Ax^2}\,dx.[/tex] The first term vanishes since if [itex]A > 0[/itex] then [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} xe^{-Ax^2} = 0.[/tex] The second term is the integral of a Gaussian function, and its value is [itex]\sqrt{\pi/A}[/itex]. Hence [tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2e^{-Ax^2}\,dx = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A^3}}.[/tex]

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi Gebri!

Your integral is basically:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2e^{-bx^2}\,dx$$
and you know the following result:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-bx^2}\,dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{b}}\,\,\,\,\,\,(b>0)$$
Differentiate the above with respect to ##b## to obtain the required integral.
My only confusion about it relies on the fact that I just don't get the "why". Why exactly do I have to differentiate the outcome of the gaussian with respect to b? If it's some mathematical tool I'm not not acknowledging I'd be very appreciative of an explanation.

Gebri Mishtaku said:
My only confusion about it relies on the fact that I just don't get the "why". Why exactly do I have to differentiate the outcome of the gaussian with respect to b? If it's some mathematical tool I'm not not acknowledging I'd be very appreciative of an explanation.

Differentiation under the integral symbol
Since we want a ##x^2## with the gaussian, differentiating with respect to ##b## immediately gives that factor of ##x^2##. Do you see now? You can even do it by using integration by parts as pasmith did.

Thank you both so much! :D I was approaching the problem the way @pasmith did but @Pranav-Arora really opened my eyes on the "why". I am quite suprprised to be honest because I had never seen a single instance when while doing clever circumventions(like the one on @pasmith's first integral equation, which I quite enjoy) to need to differentiate by the square of the position in order to attain a factor. I guess the physical thought of it just didn't allow me to see the right mathematical way. Many thanks again :D

Related to Confusing integral (from a QM problem, of course)

What is a confusing integral in Quantum Mechanics?

A confusing integral in Quantum Mechanics refers to an integral that is difficult to solve or understand due to the complex mathematical concepts and principles involved in Quantum Mechanics. This can be a challenging aspect of the field for many scientists and students.

Why are integrals important in Quantum Mechanics?

Integrals are important in Quantum Mechanics because they are used to calculate the probability amplitudes of quantum states. These amplitudes represent the likelihood of a particle or system being in a particular state at a given time, and integrals help us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

What are some common challenges when solving confusing integrals in Quantum Mechanics?

Some common challenges when solving confusing integrals in Quantum Mechanics include the complex mathematical equations and principles involved, as well as the need for a deep understanding of quantum mechanics concepts and principles. Additionally, the use of abstract mathematical concepts such as complex numbers and operators can also make integrals in Quantum Mechanics more challenging to solve.

How can scientists overcome difficulties with confusing integrals in Quantum Mechanics?

Scientists can overcome difficulties with confusing integrals in Quantum Mechanics through practice, studying and understanding the underlying concepts and principles, and seeking help from experts or other resources. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, for effectively solving integrals in Quantum Mechanics.

Are there any tools or techniques that can help with solving confusing integrals in Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can help with solving confusing integrals in Quantum Mechanics. These include graphical methods, numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulation, and various approximation techniques. Additionally, computer programs and software can also be useful in solving complex integrals in Quantum Mechanics.