Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!

In summary: Hopefully someone can help me out soon!In summary, the third equation is correct, but the other two are not.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6661/36979008.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

whats wrong with it? I am 100% sure and i can explain each one!
the first one equals 3 right?

second one should be true because 0/0 can be any number.. (thats what my teacher from high school said at least)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Slimsta said:
whats wrong with it? I am 100% sure and i can explain each one!

Then you just answered your own question. :-)

clamtrox said:
Then you just answered your own question. :-)

yeah but i guess i think that i know everything but something might be wrong..
and it will take me a long time to write down an explanation for each one :/

is the 3rd one right? i mean, f/g has to be g cannot = 0.. but its not in the lhospital rule...

someone please help me

What exactly is your question? In your first post you said "im 100% sure and i can explain each one!"

The only question I can find is in your second post, "is the 3rd one right? i mean, f/g has to be g cannot = 0.. but its not in the lhospital rule... " In order that we be able to use L'Hospital's rule directly, we must have [itex]\lim_{x\to a} g'(x)\ne 0[/itex] and that's impossible if g'(x)= 0 in some neighborhood of a. We might be able to extend L'Hopital's rule in the case that f'/g' goes to 0/0 itself by using L'Hopital's rule again, but in order for that to work eventually, there must be some nth derivative of g which has non-zero limit at x= a but again, that's impossible if there is some neighborhood of a in which g' is 0.

HallsofIvy said:
What exactly is your question? In your first post you said "im 100% sure and i can explain each one!"

The only question I can find is in your second post, "is the 3rd one right? i mean, f/g has to be g cannot = 0.. but its not in the lhospital rule... " In order that we be able to use L'Hospital's rule directly, we must have [itex]\lim_{x\to a} g'(x)\ne 0[/itex] and that's impossible if g'(x)= 0 in some neighborhood of a. We might be able to extend L'Hopital's rule in the case that f'/g' goes to 0/0 itself by using L'Hopital's rule again, but in order for that to work eventually, there must be some nth derivative of g which has non-zero limit at x= a but again, that's impossible if there is some neighborhood of a in which g' is 0.

my question is, which one from the picture above is wrong?

Last edited:
please someone! i checked it over like 20 times now..
1. is 'false' for sure because it limit = 3
2. its a fact so 'true'
3. its a rule so 'true'
4. its part of the rule so 'true'
5. small number / big number = closer and closer to 0 ==> 0 so 'true'
6. limit of infinity = infinity.. :| so 'true'
7. like the 3rd one but in words, so 'true'

whats wrong with it??

point 4. g'(x) must be nonzero in some interval that contains c. This should be:
in every interval that contains c, g'(x) can't be zero everywhere in that interval.

I would reconsider number 6. Just think about what would happen if [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x) = -\infty[/itex].

jgens said:
I would reconsider number 6. Just think about what would happen if [itex]\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x) = -\infty[/itex].

those are such small things that both me and 2 of my buddies didnt pick on.. oh man. :|

thanks guys

Related to Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!

1. What is "Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!"?

"Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!" is a website or service that provides assistance and clarification for homework assignments. It is designed to help students better understand and complete their homework more effectively.

2. How does "Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!" work?

The website or service works by allowing students to submit their homework questions or problems and receive step-by-step solutions and explanations. Users can also access a database of previously answered questions for additional help.

3. Who can benefit from using "Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!"?

Any student struggling with their homework can benefit from using this service. It can be especially helpful for students who are having difficulty understanding a particular concept or problem.

4. Is "Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!" only for certain subjects?

No, this service is designed to assist with homework in a variety of subjects including math, science, English, and more. However, the availability of solutions may vary depending on the subject and the complexity of the problem.

5. Is "Confused? Let's Clarify Homework Solutions!" a free service?

Some features of the service may be free, such as accessing previously answered questions. However, there may be a fee for submitting new questions and receiving personalized solutions. It is best to check the website for specific pricing information.