Confused about inner models and On

In summary, the conversation discusses the inclusion of the class of ordinals, On, in the universe of an inner model of ZFC, such as < V\kappa, epsilon>, where \kappa is the first inaccessible ordinal. The person is seeking clarification on how this can be possible and lists four potential misunderstandings they had, including the size of On, the distinction between sets and classes, the collapsing of V by using an ultrafilter, and the definition of supercompact cardinal. They are seeking guidance in understanding these concepts. Another person provides clarification, explaining that inner models are proper classes and that the definition of supercompact cardinal does not necessarily mean that the model is Vκ.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I do not understand how On, the class of ordinals, can be included in the universe of an inner model of ZFC such as < V[tex]\kappa[/tex], epsilon>, where [tex]\kappa[/tex] is the first inaccessible ordinal. My confused attempts to do so have led me to believe that I am getting off on the wrong foot in my analysis, that there is something very basic that I am missing here. I list four of my dead-ends, to show what sort of confusion I am asking someone to lead me out of.

One, it would seem that On was simply too big. For example, On would contain the ordinal that is associated with the cardinal number [tex]\alpha[/tex], where a is a measurable cardinal, there are at least a Ramsey cardinals below [tex]\alpha[/tex]. [tex]\alpha[/tex] is much larger than the first inaccessible [tex]\kappa[/tex], so how would so many ordinals fit into V[tex]\kappa[/tex]?

Two, V[tex]\kappa[/tex] can be, in a higher order, be construed as a set, whereas On can never be anything but a class. So how can On be part of V[tex]\kappa[/tex]?

Three: I thought of the collapsing of V by using an appropriate ultrafilter over a measurable cardinal, where also the ordinals would be collapsed, but since there are a lot of ordinals which are skipped by the elementary embedding, having the measurable cardinal as a critical point, then it would seem that On doesn't all get into the universe of the collapsed model. Or does it somehow?

Fourth, I was convinced me that we were not just talking about V[tex]\kappa[/tex] intersect On, because the condition for the supercompact cardinal is that it be lambda-supercompact for all ordinal lambda greater than or equal to the supercompact cardinal, which means that somehow they all have to be in the model.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

PS For some reason, the kappas and alphas got superscripted rather than subscripted, even though it clearly shows subscripting. Sorry. Maybe the two functions, Greek letters and subscripting, don't go together.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Briefly, because inner models are proper classes, not sets. The model <Vκ, ∈> is not an inner model of V, because it (obviously) does not contain all ordinals. It is, however, a transitive model.

I think you are somewhat confused by the definition of supercompact cardinal. If κ is λ-supercompact, that means that there exists a transitive inner model M with λM⊆M and an elementary embedding j:V→M with critical point κ and j(k)>λ. It does not, however, mean that M is Vκ -- M is a much larger class than Vκ.

Thank you, Citan Uzuki. You found the major points of my confusion and cleared them up. Very helpful.

Related to Confused about inner models and On

1. What are inner models in mathematics?

Inner models are mathematical structures that are used to study the consistency of mathematical theories. They are sets of objects and relations defined in a specific way that satisfy all the axioms of a given theory.

2. How are inner models related to set theory?

Inner models are closely related to set theory because they are used to study the consistency of set theory, specifically the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms. They are constructed using the axioms and can be used to prove the consistency of these axioms.

3. What is the On principle in set theory?

The On principle, also known as the von Neumann universe, is a mathematical concept that defines the collection of all sets that can be constructed from the empty set using the axioms of set theory. It is used to define the hierarchy of sets in set theory.

4. How does the On principle relate to inner models?

The On principle is closely related to inner models because it is used to construct the minimal inner model, which is the smallest inner model that satisfies all the axioms of set theory. This inner model is used to prove the consistency of the axioms.

5. What is the significance of inner models and the On principle in mathematics?

Inner models and the On principle are important concepts in mathematics because they provide a way to study the consistency of mathematical theories, specifically set theory. They also help to clarify the relationship between different mathematical concepts and provide a framework for understanding the structure of sets.