Constructing Structures with Cardinality W2: A Puzzle in Model Theory

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to specify a structure with a cardinality of w2, which has a substructure of w but no substructure of w1. The concept of cardinality greater than an uncountable set is introduced, with \omega_2 being the next infinite cardinal after \omega and \omega_1. The conversation provides a hint to use a well-ordered set of size w2 and a subset of w elements as a countable substructure, but any subset containing elements outside of this subset would have to contain all elements of the set in order to be closed under certain functions.
Bourbaki1123
I was reading Hodges' Model Theory when I came across this question in the first chapter:

Specify a structure of cardinality w2 which has a substructure of cardinality w but no substructure of cardinality w1. (Working in ZFC)

I am assuming w2 means 2w1 but I'm not sure. I haven't really encountered this cardinality before, and I'm not really sure what would have cardinality greater than an uncountable set or what that means intuitively (if there even is an intuitive explanation, or if it is just a bit of logical symbol pushing).

I know that I could take the reals with the field operations, an ordering symbol and 0,1 as a signature and specify the integers as a substructure of order w, and I could take the complex numbers and specify R as a substructure of order w1 in the same way, but I have no idea what to make of w2 or what might have w2 as its cardinality.

Physics news on Phys.org
When he says ``cardinality [itex]\omega_2[/itex]'' he means ``[itex]\aleph_2[/itex]'' which may or may not be [itex]2^{\aleph_1}[/itex]. If he actually says [itex]w_2[/itex], then I don't know what he means.

Bourbaki1123 said:
I'm not really sure what would have cardinality greater than an uncountable set
Its power set?

[itex]\omega = \aleph _0[/itex] is the smallest infinite cardinal, and it's said to be countably infinite. All larger cardinals are said to be uncountably infinite. [itex]\omega _1 = \aleph _1[/itex] is the next infinite cardinal larger than [itex]\omega[/itex], and so it's the first uncountable cardinal. [itex]\omega _2 = \aleph _2[/itex] is the next infinite cardinal; [itex]\omega < \omega _1 < \omega _2[/itex]. Find a structure M (i.e. a set, together with some function(s) and/or relation(s) on that set) such M has a countable substructure (i.e. there's a countable subset of M closed under those functions/relations) but such that there's no substructure of size [itex]\omega _1[/itex] that's closed under those functions/relations.

Hint: Let M be some well-ordered set of size [itex]\omega _2[/itex]. Let N be the subset of M consisting of the first (w.r.t. the well-ordering) [itex]\omega[/itex] elements of M. Define a bunch of functions on M such that N is closed under those functions (and thus N forms a countable substructure), but such that any subset of M containing any element outside of N has to contain ALL elements of M in order to be closed under all your functions.

Related to Constructing Structures with Cardinality W2: A Puzzle in Model Theory

1. What is the definition of cardinality W2?

Cardinality W2 refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the size of a set and is denoted by |W2|.

2. How is cardinality W2 different from other types of cardinality?

Cardinality W2 is a specific type of cardinality that is used to describe the size of infinite sets, specifically sets that are the same size as the set of natural numbers. Other types of cardinality, such as finite cardinality and aleph numbers, are used to describe the size of different types of infinite sets.

3. How is the structure of cardinality W2 determined?

The structure of cardinality W2 is determined by the properties and relationships of the elements within the set. This includes the number of elements, the order and arrangement of the elements, and any operations or transformations that can be applied to the elements.

4. What are some examples of sets with cardinality W2?

One example of a set with cardinality W2 is the set of even numbers. This set has the same number of elements as the set of natural numbers, which means it has cardinality W2. Other examples include the set of whole numbers and the set of integers.

5. Why is cardinality W2 important in mathematics and science?

Cardinality W2 is important because it allows us to compare the sizes of different sets, including infinite sets. This helps us understand the relationships and patterns within these sets and can be used to solve problems and make predictions in many areas of mathematics and science.