Confused About a Math Problem? Check Here!

• MHB
  • Thread starter alexandravo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about using a model to predict the new adult number of birds if a certain percentage of birds from the previous year return. The correct equation to use is Newbirds = -0.304 x 0.60 + 31.93, and the answer is 30.106 new birds. The person asking the question was initially confused, but their answer was correct with a small mistake in substituting the value for % of birds returning.
alexandravo
Hi I'm a little bit confused about this question, I don't know if my answer is correct?
The equation of my line is:
Newbirds= -0.304 X % of birds returning +31.93

The question asks: Use the model to predict the new adult number if 60% of adults from the previous year return:
I subbed the value of 6 into the equation? how do I input 60%??
My answer was -0.304 x 6 +31.93= 30.106 new birds.

Am I correct or not?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your answer, but there is one small mistake. Instead of substituting 6 into the equation for the % of birds returning, you should substitute 60% as a decimal, which is 0.60. So your equation should be:

Newbirds = -0.304 x 0.60 + 31.93 = 30.106 new birds

Your answer is correct, but the value you substituted for % of birds returning is incorrect. I hope this helps clear up any confusion. Keep up the good work!

1. What should I do if I am stuck on a math problem?

If you are stuck on a math problem, the first thing you should do is take a deep breath and try to relax. Then, go back and read the problem carefully to make sure you understand what it is asking. If you are still stuck, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and solving each part separately. You can also try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online for guidance.

2. How can I check my work to make sure I have the right answer?

One way to check your work is to plug your answer back into the original problem and see if it makes sense. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer. Another option is to ask a friend or teacher to check your work and provide feedback.

3. What should I do if I keep making mistakes on the same type of problem?

If you are consistently making mistakes on a specific type of problem, it may be helpful to review the concept again or seek additional help from a teacher or tutor. You can also try practicing similar problems until you feel more confident in your understanding.

4. How can I improve my math problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your math problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving problems from your textbook, online resources, or creating your own problems to solve. It can also be helpful to review and understand the steps involved in solving a problem, rather than just memorizing formulas.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand a math problem after trying multiple strategies?

If you have tried multiple strategies and still don't understand a math problem, it may be helpful to seek additional help from a teacher or tutor. They can provide personalized guidance and explain the problem in a way that makes sense to you. You can also try looking for online resources or videos that explain the concept in a different way.