Condition for a 2nd order differential eqn to have bounded solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which the solution to a 2nd order differential equation will be bounded, with a specific example involving a hermitian operator and Laplace transforms. The speaker is seeking suggestions for finding a bounded solution in their particular problem.
arroy_0205
Suppose I have a 2nd order differential equation
[tex]
a_1y''(x)+a_2y'(x)+a_3y(x)+a_4=0
[/tex]
and two conditions y(0), y'(0). Then is there any theorem which gives us the condition under which the solution y(x) will be bounded? Note that x-range is entire real line.
This is a general version of the problem I am facing. In my actual problem I have an equation like
[tex]
Q^{\dagger}Qy(x)=m^2y(x)
[/tex]
where dagger denotes hermitian conjugate of the operator. In this case the m^2=0 corresponds to the lowest energy and in principle I should not get any bounded solution with m^2 < 0. However I am also not getting any bounded numerical solution (using mathematica) with m^2 > 0. May be I am using wrong initial conditions. That is why I am asking this question. Can anyone suggest something?
By the way my Q and Q^dagger are
[tex]
Q=-\frac{d}{dy}+p'(y); Q^{\dagger}=\frac{d}{dy}+p'(y)
[/tex]
where p(y) is a known function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the Bilateral Laplace transform not help us here?

(edit) Obviously if we restrict our domain to [tex]\mathbb{R}^{+}[/tex] then the single sided Laplace transform can tell us when the function is bounded with x. I've found a link on something called Nachbin's Theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_Borel_transform which might be of some use. It seems to generalise the notion of a function being bounded but not necessarily of exponential order. I am assuming here that we can take an integral transform of the differential equation and establish its 'boundedness' that way. What the kernal for the integral transform would be in this particular case though, I have no idea. I hope that this is on the right track...

Last edited:

Related to Condition for a 2nd order differential eqn to have bounded solutions?

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used to model physical systems and phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a bounded solution in a 2nd order differential equation?

A bounded solution in a 2nd order differential equation is one in which the values of the unknown function remain within a finite range over the entire domain of the equation. This means that the solution does not approach infinity or negative infinity for any value of the independent variable.

3. What is the condition for a 2nd order differential equation to have bounded solutions?

The condition for a 2nd order differential equation to have bounded solutions is that the coefficients of the highest and second highest order terms in the equation must be positive and the coefficient of the lowest order term must be non-negative.

4. Can a 2nd order differential equation have more than one bounded solution?

Yes, a 2nd order differential equation can have multiple bounded solutions. This can happen when the equation has repeated roots or when the initial conditions are different, resulting in different solutions.

5. How can the boundedness of a solution to a 2nd order differential equation be determined?

The boundedness of a solution to a 2nd order differential equation can be determined by analyzing the coefficients and initial conditions of the equation. It can also be visually determined by graphing the solution and observing whether it remains within a finite range over the entire domain.