Concept to differential equations

In summary, the given ordinary equation, x^2y'' + xy' + (x^2-1)y = 0, does have a solution, but it cannot be expressed in closed form using just differential equations. However, series solutions, such as the one for Bessel's differential equation, have been well studied and the solutions are known.
vanitymdl
Question: Explain why you cannot solve the ordinary equation?

x^2y'' + xy' + (x^2-1)y = 0

My attempt: I don't need to solve it, but just simply state why I can't with just differential equations
So my answer is, This differential equation does have a solution, it's just not expressable in closed form.

I don't know if I should add on to this or does this get my point across

Physics news on Phys.org
vanitymdl said:
Question: Explain why you cannot solve the ordinary equation?

x^2y'' + xy' + (x^2-1)y = 0

My attempt: I don't need to solve it, but just simply state why I can't with just differential equations
So my answer is, This differential equation does have a solution, it's just not expressable in closed form.

I don't know if I should add on to this or does this get my point across

Don't series solutions qualify as "just differential equations"? Is your question given in the context of studying singular points?

Well this is just to refresh on my differential skills, this class is applied analysis and the professor wanted us to explain this

Related to Concept to differential equations

1. What is the concept of differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How are differential equations solved?

There are various techniques used to solve differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its initial/boundary conditions.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in different fields, including physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

4. What is the importance of studying differential equations?

Studying differential equations is crucial for understanding and analyzing real-world problems in various scientific fields. It also helps in developing analytical and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many professions.

5. What are the limitations of differential equations?

Although differential equations are powerful tools for modeling and analyzing complex systems, they have some limitations. Some problems may not have a closed-form solution, and numerical methods may be required to approximate the solution. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and the assumptions made in the model.