Computer Engineering Student's Required Chemistry Courses

In summary: So, you are required to take Chemistry classes, but you don't have to take the harder classes (Chemistry 111 and 151). You are also required to take a course in Physical Chemistry, but you don't have to take the harder course (Chemistry 105). What is your major and what school are you attending?
Maxwell
Assuming you are not studying Chemical Engineering, or anything closely related..

What chemistry classes are you required to take by your school?

I am doing Computer Engineering, and I had to take Chemistry 111. The course was a mixture of Chem 107 and 108, basically a crash course of two semesters worth of chemistry in one semester. It was BRUTAL.

Right now I have a C-. That is without my lowest test grade dropped. So if I do awesome on my final (which I think I will), I could pull off a B or a B- since the 24(!) out of 90 will be dropped.

I am very happy this is the only chemistry course I am required to take.

So what chemistry courses are you required to take (Also, what school do you go to and what is your major)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
i had to take chem 151 which is basically; general inorganic chemistry. it was a pain in the ass. i got a 4.0 in linear algebra, a 3.6 in multivariable calculus, and a whopping 2.8 in chemistry. unfortunately i have to take one more quarter of inorganic for structural engineering.

For my ME degree, we are only required one 5 credit "chemistry for engineers" class. It was PITA too, probably because they throw so much at you at once. We can also take two normal chemistry classes as well, but most battle through the single class and be done with it. Chemistry is so broad, it's a hard subject to teach in one course.

We don't have any required chemistry at all at the engineering physics programme at Lund institute of technology in Sweden. The basic chemistry we need is a requirement from high school.

I've had one course of chemistry every of the first 3 semesters. It was anorganic, organic and some industrial processes.

I'm doing ICT engineering (electronics, computer science) and also having big trouble with chemistry, it really is a pain in the ass (still have to take my last exam of it).

I'm coming from Belgium and I have no idea what you guys are talking about..what is chemistry 107, 108, 111??

Originally posted by Reason
what is chemistry 107, 108, 111??

Arbitrary course numbers, Reason.

The first number usually designates which year in college the course is given. The final numbers are merely course designators and would differ from college to college.

Originally posted by Maxwell
Assuming you are not studying Chemical Engineering, or anything closely related..

What chemistry classes are you required to take by your school?

I am doing Computer Engineering, and I had to take Chemistry 111. The course was a mixture of Chem 107 and 108, basically a crash course of two semesters worth of chemistry in one semester. It was BRUTAL.

Right now I have a C-. That is without my lowest test grade dropped. So if I do awesome on my final (which I think I will), I could pull off a B or a B- since the 24(!) out of 90 will be dropped.

I am very happy this is the only chemistry course I am required to take.

So what chemistry courses are you required to take (Also, what school do you go to and what is your major)?

I am also a Computer Science & Engg. student, and I am with the same position as yours...but I've got B :(

Chemestry is very tough here! Atleast it's very difficult for me to remember the chemical equations :(

But I found Physical chemistry intersting :)

Oh! We had to complete chemistry of 6 credits :(

My major at my university(IUPUI) is CHEM105. It is required, but most students cannot register for it without taking a placement test and PASS. This is due to the frequency of incoming engineering freshment going into the course with little or no knowledge of chemistry and flunking out, which greatly affected their GPA.

Since I'm a computer engineering major, i am also required to take this class.

Mechanical guy...

Im taking first year mechanical engineering this year and i really do not know what to expect...

Im not a chemical guy so i have this pure hate for chemistry.. good thing for me chemistry is out of the picture for my syllabus this year...

Anyways, i got my basic knowledge of chemistry from the foundation studies. Chemistry isn't really used in the mechanical / mechatronics field right?

yeah, chemistry sure is a pain in the arse.

i am an taking up electronics engineering and i have a handful of subjects which have organic and inorganic chemistry as pre-requisites.

Whew!

Related to Computer Engineering Student's Required Chemistry Courses

1. What chemistry courses are required for a computer engineering student?

Typically, computer engineering students are required to take general chemistry, organic chemistry, and a chemistry course with a focus on computer engineering applications such as computational chemistry or materials chemistry.

2. Why are chemistry courses required for computer engineering students?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in the field of computer engineering as it helps students understand the fundamental principles of chemical reactions, materials, and their properties. This knowledge is essential for designing and developing computer hardware and software components.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for these required chemistry courses?

Prerequisites for chemistry courses may vary depending on the university or program. However, it is common for students to have a strong foundation in high school chemistry or have completed introductory chemistry courses before enrolling in these required courses.

4. Can computer engineering students substitute other science courses for these required chemistry courses?

Some universities may allow students to substitute other science courses, such as physics or biology, for required chemistry courses. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the substitute course covers the necessary material for your computer engineering program.

5. How do chemistry courses benefit computer engineering students in their future careers?

Chemistry courses provide computer engineering students with a strong foundation in problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and analytical reasoning. These skills are essential for success in the field of computer engineering, as they help students understand complex systems and develop innovative solutions.