Complex number question involving de Moivre identity

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find values for a and b in the equation cos(4x)(6+2a)+12a+8b=-20, using complex number equations and de Moivre's identity. The solution is found to be a=-3 and b=2, but there is a question about which values of x would not be sufficient checks for the formula.
Stickybees

Homework Statement

cos(4x)(6+2a)+12a+8b=-20 find values for a, b. Then check the values and state which values of x would not have been sufficient checks.

Homework Equations

Complex number equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've simplified it down to this from a harder problem but I can't get any further, putting it into wolfram gives me a=-3 and b=2 but I have no idea how that was worked out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Every value for x you plug in gives you an equation that a and b must satisfy.

So, why don't you pick some easy values for x and see what you get??

Since cos(4x) is varying independently, then in order to have the equation always true, what value must (6+2a) have?

Yeah my fault, I didn't say that you have to do it using the de Moivre identity and then plug in a value of x to test it afterwards.

The original equation looks like this: [itex]cos(x)^4 + sin(x)^4 + a(cos(x)^2 + sin(x)^2) + b = 0[/itex]

I think it's a fairly common complex number question and involves the bionomial expansion, but I've never really done much with complex numbers before so it doesn't seem obvious what I need to do to me. Thanks!

Alright I've figured out how to get a and b, anyone have any ideas on which values of x would not be 'sufficient checks' on the formula?

Related to Complex number question involving de Moivre identity

1. What is the de Moivre identity?

The de Moivre identity is a mathematical formula that expresses the relationship between complex numbers and their powers. It states that for any complex number z and any positive integer n, (cosz + isinz)^n = cos(nz) + isin(nz). This formula is named after French mathematician Abraham de Moivre.

2. How is the de Moivre identity used in solving complex number problems?

The de Moivre identity can be used to simplify complex number expressions and calculate their powers. It is also a useful tool in finding roots of complex numbers and solving trigonometric equations involving complex numbers.

3. Can the de Moivre identity be extended to non-integer powers?

Yes, the de Moivre identity can be extended to non-integer powers using the concept of complex analysis. It is represented as (cosz + isinz)^a = cos(az) + isin(az), where a is any real number.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the de Moivre identity?

The de Moivre identity has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used in analyzing alternating currents, electrical circuits, electromagnetic fields, and in calculating the probability of certain events in finance.

5. How does the de Moivre identity relate to Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, e^(ix) = cosx + isinx, is a special case of the de Moivre identity when n is equal to 1. It is a fundamental formula in complex analysis and is often used in solving problems involving complex numbers.