Roots of Negative Numbers (Complex Analysis)

In summary, the expression (-1)^1/10 can be expressed in exponential form as e^(jπ/10). Attempting to simplify the expression early by substituting in pi for theta would not lead to a complete solution as it would prevent the use of de Moivre's theorem.
MossEE

Homework Statement

Express (-1)1/10 in exponential form

(My first time posting - I hope I got the syntax right!)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I got the solution, it's ejπ/10, but I'm not sure why. Here's my work:

(-1)1/10 = (cos(π) + jsin(π))1/10 = cos(pi/10) + jsin(pi/10) = ejπ/10,

I'm wondering why, when moving from step 2 to 3 using De Moivre's Theorem, the jsin(pi) term doesn't drop out. The above math checks out if we would refer to pi as the generic angle 'theta', but shouldn't the complex part fall out once we know that theta is just pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
MossEE said:

Homework Statement

Express (-1)1/10 in exponential form

(My first time posting - I hope I got the syntax right!)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I got the solution, it's ejπ/10, but I'm not sure why. Here's my work:

(-1)1/10 = (cos(π) + jsin(π))1/10 = cos(pi/10) + jsin(pi/10) = ejπ/10,

I'm wondering why, when moving from step 2 to 3 using De Moivre's Theorem, the jsin(pi) term doesn't drop out. The above math checks out if we would refer to pi as the generic angle 'theta', but shouldn't the complex part fall out once we know that theta is just pi?
Hello MossEE. Welcome to PF !

Your question is not clear. I don't see θ anywhere in your post.

What do you mean by 'fall out'? That's not a well-defined mathematical concept.

It sounds like you mean 'replace j sin (π) by 0'. Well we can do that, but nothing is compelling us to do it. Since doing that prevents us from taking the next step, we don't do it. We keep it in the form (cos(π) + jsin(π))1/10, and De Moivre then allows us to state that that is equal to cos(pi/10) + jsin(pi/10).

Maybe a lesson to learn from this is that simplifying is not always the best option. In this case simplifying, by substituting in the zero, prevents us from getting to the solution.

Another example of unsimplifying creating an opportunity for a solution is when we add and subtract the same thing to a formula - thereby making it longer - because it will allow subsequent cancellations that are more helpful. John Bell does this a number of times in his famous entanglement paper.

Likes MossEE
SammyS said:
Hello MossEE. Welcome to PF !

Your question is not clear. I don't see θ anywhere in your post.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was referring to theta in the context of not simplifying the equation (by plugging in pi for theta), sorry for the ambiguity.

andrewkirk said:
What do you mean by 'fall out'? That's not a well-defined mathematical concept.
Haha that's my engineering background showing through. You are absolutely correct though, precision of language is important, especially in STEM.

andrewkirk said:
It sounds like you mean 'replace j sin (π) by 0'. Well we can do that, but nothing is compelling us to do it.
This makes sense. I guess I'm only left with a tangential question then - I can understand why simplifying early (by plugging in) won't give us a complete solution, but why does it produce a solution that is mathematically incorrect?

What are you plugging in and into what is it plugged?

MossEE said:
This makes sense. I guess I'm only left with a tangential question then - I can understand why simplifying early (by plugging in) won't give us a complete solution, but why does it produce a solution that is mathematically incorrect?
It doesn't. Your sequence is:

##(-1)^{1/10} = (\cos(\pi) + j \sin(\pi))^{1/10} = \cos(\pi/10) + j \sin(\pi/10) = e^{j\pi/10}##

If you substitute 0 for ## j \sin(\pi)## in the second stage you are left with ## (\cos(\pi) + 0)^{1/10}= (\cos\pi) ^{1/10}##, which no longer has an imaginary part and hence you cannot apply de Moivre's theorem.

I think you're thinking that you'll apply de Moivre and get ## \cos(\pi/10)##, which would indeed be wrong. But that would be misusing de Moivre because it only applies when you have appropriately related real and imaginary parts and the simplified expression doesn't.

Likes MossEE
andrewkirk said:
It doesn't. Your sequence is:

##(-1)^{1/10} = (\cos(\pi) + j \sin(\pi))^{1/10} = \cos(\pi/10) + j \sin(\pi/10) = e^{j\pi/10}##

If you substitute 0 for ## j \sin(\pi)## in the second stage you are left with ## (\cos(\pi) + 0)^{1/10}= (\cos\pi) ^{1/10}##, which no longer has an imaginary part and hence you cannot apply de Moivre's theorem.

I think you're thinking that you'll apply de Moivre and get ## \cos(\pi/10)##, which would indeed be wrong. But that would be misusing de Moivre because it only applies when you have appropriately related real and imaginary parts and the simplified expression doesn't.

Right on. Thanks for your help!

Related to Roots of Negative Numbers (Complex Analysis)

1. What are negative numbers and how do they relate to complex analysis?

Negative numbers are numbers that are less than zero. In complex analysis, negative numbers are important because they are the roots of negative real numbers. This means that when a negative number is raised to a certain power, the result is a negative real number.

2. What is the significance of the roots of negative numbers in complex analysis?

The roots of negative numbers in complex analysis have important applications in solving equations and understanding complex functions. They also play a role in visualizing and understanding complex numbers on the complex plane.

3. How do you find the roots of negative numbers in complex analysis?

To find the roots of negative numbers in complex analysis, you can use the formula z^n = r^n (cos (nθ) + i sin (nθ)), where z is the complex number, r is the absolute value of z, and θ is the argument of z. This formula can be used to find all n roots of a negative number.

4. Can negative numbers have imaginary parts in complex analysis?

Yes, in complex analysis, negative numbers can have imaginary parts. This is because they can be expressed as a combination of a real and imaginary part, just like any other complex number.

5. How do the roots of negative numbers differ from the roots of positive numbers in complex analysis?

The roots of negative numbers differ from the roots of positive numbers in complex analysis because they involve complex numbers. The roots of positive numbers are all real, while the roots of negative numbers can be both real and complex numbers.