Complex exponential expressions.

In summary: The three cube roots are just the three points on a unit circle that are at the same distance from the origin (0,0).
lucasfish1

Homework Statement

I just need some kind of explanation in layman's terms of what exactly is going on here. It seems as though I am missing some key element from trig. I am in a Signals class and the book lacks an explanation of the reduction used and ultimately why.

Homework Equations

I have attached a .pdf of the files.
View attachment Document1.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so in "b": I do not understand the simplification or reduction to the side, where 4pi is added. Also I think the same method occurs in the third answer of "d".

Also, is the reason there are 3 answers for "d" because of the cube root? If someone could just provide a short explanation as to why, that would be helpful.

Thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
lucasfish1 said:

Homework Statement

I just need some kind of explanation in layman's terms of what exactly is going on here. It seems as though I am missing some key element from trig. I am in a Signals class and the book lacks an explanation of the reduction used and ultimately why.

Homework Equations

I have attached a .pdf of the files.
View attachment 50347

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so in "b": I do not understand the simplification or reduction to the side, where 4pi is added. Also I think the same method occurs in the third answer of "d".
What they're doing in b is adding multiples of 2##\pi## so as to get a positive angle.

From Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This represents a complex number whose magnitude is 1, and that makes an angle of x radians measured counterclockwise from the positive Real axis. Note that mathematicians use i for the imaginary unit, and engineers use j.

Adding 2##\pi## or multiples of 2##\pi## to the exponent to get ei(x + 2##\pi##) doesn't change anything except the angle. This complex number still has a magnitude of 1 - the only difference is that the angle is now x + 2##\pi##, which gets you to exactly the same point on the unit circle.

lucasfish1 said:
Also, is the reason there are 3 answers for "d" because of the cube root? If someone could just provide a short explanation as to why, that would be helpful.
In the same way that a number has two square roots, it will have three cube roots, four fourth roots, and so on. A real number, such as 8 has one real cube root (2) and two complex cube roots.
lucasfish1 said:
Thank you so much in advance!

So, it is just commonplace to work within the unit circle? I mean for my calculator both arguments produce the same answer, I just appropriate the negative when using Euler's formula.

Thanks again.

Oh and by the way, I am on my way to be an EE so its "j" for me -here on out!

The complex exponential is periodic with (argument) period equal to 2Pi. So if you

go around n times, then ez= ez+2n∏ for n=1,2,... and

ez+2n∏ is equivalent to going around a circle n times.

Related to Complex exponential expressions.

What is a complex exponential expression?

A complex exponential expression is an expression of the form ez, where z is a complex number. It can also be written as ex+iy, where x and y are real numbers.

How do I simplify a complex exponential expression?

To simplify a complex exponential expression, you can use the properties of exponents. For example, ex * ey = ex+y and (ex)y = exy. You can also use Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i sin(x), to rewrite the expression in terms of trigonometric functions.

What are the applications of complex exponential expressions?

Complex exponential expressions are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and modeling oscillatory phenomena, such as alternating currents in electrical circuits and electromagnetic waves.

Can complex exponential expressions have negative exponents?

Yes, complex exponential expressions can have negative exponents. For example, e-x = 1/ex. In this case, the expression represents a decreasing function instead of an increasing one.

What is the relationship between complex exponential expressions and logarithms?

Complex exponential expressions and logarithms are inverse functions of each other. This means that eln(x) = x and ln(ex) = x. In other words, logarithms undo the effects of complex exponential expressions and vice versa.