Complex Arithmetic - Mathematica agrees with me, textbook says I'm wrong.

In summary, mathematica confirms the second solution as correct, but not the first one. The textbook provides two solutions, which are also confirmed by mathematica. The discrepancy between the two solutions can be explained by the fact that they are equivalent due to multiples of ##2\pi## being eliminated.
jdinatale
mathematica.png

Mathematica agrees with my second solution (not the first one though). The back of my textbook says: "[itex]\sqrt[4]{8}[\cos(\frac{5\pi}{8}) + i\sin(\frac{5\pi}{8})][/itex] and [itex]\sqrt[4]{8}[\cos(\frac{13\pi}{8}) + i\sin(\frac{13\pi}{8})][/itex]"

Edit: The second z in my picture should be |z|, the modulus.

Edit2: Here are the results from mathematica, confirming that both the textbook AND I are right...

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(1+-+i)^(3/2)+=+(8^(1/4))[cos(45pi/8)+++i+sin(45pi/8)]
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(1+-+i)^(3/2)+=+[8^(1/4)][cos(+13pi/8)+++isin(13pi/8)]

My question is, how did my textbook get that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get rid of multiples of ##2\pi##. For example, you have
$$\frac{21\pi}{8} = \frac{(16+5)\pi}{8} = 2\pi + \frac{5\pi}{8},$$ so your first answer is equivalent to the book's first answer. Similarly, you can show your second answer also matches the book's second answer.

Related to Complex Arithmetic - Mathematica agrees with me, textbook says I'm wrong.

1. Why does Mathematica sometimes give different results than my textbook for complex arithmetic?

Mathematica uses numerical methods to calculate complex numbers, while textbooks often use analytical methods. This can lead to slight differences in the results due to rounding errors or different approaches to solving the problem.

2. Which result should I trust, Mathematica or my textbook?

Both Mathematica and textbooks can be trusted, but it's important to understand the differences in their methods. If you are using Mathematica, it's important to check the assumptions and limitations of the numerical methods being used.

3. How can I resolve discrepancies between Mathematica and my textbook?

If you are using Mathematica and getting different results than your textbook, try using different methods of calculation or adjusting the precision settings. You can also consult with other sources or your instructor for further clarification.

4. Can Mathematica handle all types of complex arithmetic problems?

Yes, Mathematica is designed to handle a wide range of complex arithmetic problems. However, as with any software, it has its limitations and it's important to understand its assumptions and limitations before using it for complex calculations.

5. Is it possible that both Mathematica and my textbook are wrong in their results?

Possibly, but it's more likely that there is a difference in the methods used for calculation or an error in the input. It's important to double-check your calculations and consult with other sources or your instructor to ensure accuracy.