Compatible ring structure on ring-valued set functions

In summary, to endow R^S with a ring structure compatible with R, we define addition and multiplication of set-functions \alpha and \beta as (\alpha + \beta)(s) = \alpha(s) + \beta(s) and (\alpha \cdot \beta)(s) = \alpha(s)\beta(s), respectively. The additive and multiplicative identities are given by the constant functions 0(s) = 0_R and 1(s) = 1_R, for all s \in S. To show that when S is a singleton, R^S \cong R, we define a mapping \phi: R \to R^S where \phi(r) is the constant function taking all elements of
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Let R be a ring and S be any set. Let [itex] R^S [/itex] be the set of set-functions [itex] S \to R [/itex]. Endow [itex] R^S [/itex] with a ring structure such that if S is a singleton, then [itex] R^S [/itex] is just a copy of R.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that the obvious (and perhaps only?) way to endow [itex] R^S [/itex] with a ring structure that is compatible with R is to define for [itex] \alpha, \beta \in R^s [/itex]
[tex] (\alpha + \beta)(s) = \alpha(s) + \beta(s), \quad (\alpha \cdot \beta)(s) = \alpha(s)\beta(s) [/tex]
And I have checked that this makes [itex] R^S [/itex] a ring with additive and multiplicative identities given by the constant functions
[tex] 0(s) = 0_R, \quad 1(s) = 1_R, \forall s \in S [/tex]

So all that remains to show is that when S is a singleton, then [itex] R^S \cong R [/itex]. Intuitively, I think I know how to do this, but I'm having trouble formalizing. It seems to me that the easiest way to do this is to give the mapping [itex] \phi: R \to R^S [/itex] where [itex] \phi(r) [/itex] is the constant function taking all elements of S to r. Namely,
[tex] [\phi(r)](s) = r, \forall s \in S. [/tex]
Now I want to show that this is an isomorphism. The preservation of the ring structure is simple and follows from definition of the ring structure on [itex] R^S [/itex] so all that remains is to show that [itex] \phi [/itex] is bijective. It is easily injective, since if [itex] r_1 \neq r_2 [/itex] in R then certainly [itex] \phi(r_1) \neq \phi(r_2) [/itex]. My problem is showing surjectivity.

I know that I can use set-magic to show that [itex] |R^S | = |R| [/itex] when [itex] |S| = 1 [/itex]. I also know that if I can show that phi has a right-inverse, it will be surjective. I'm just stuck here and not sure how to proceed. Is this just vacuously true? That is, since the domain of the function [itex] \alpha: S \to R [/itex] is a singleton, do all functions just look like constant functions and I can claim I'm done? This just seems a little shaky, so I want to make it more sound.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I might have figured it out. Let [itex] \alpha \in R^S [/itex] with S = {s}. Then [itex] \phi [/itex] is surjective since [itex] \phi(\alpha(s)) = \alpha [/itex], yes?

Kreizhn said:
Wait, I might have figured it out. Let [itex] \alpha \in R^S [/itex] with S = {s}. Then [itex] \phi [/itex] is surjective since [itex] \phi(\alpha(s)) = \alpha [/itex], yes?

Yes, that is correct!

Related to Compatible ring structure on ring-valued set functions

1. What is a compatible ring structure?

A compatible ring structure is a mathematical concept used in ring theory. It refers to a set of operations defined on a ring-valued set function that satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity. These properties ensure that the operations can be performed on the set function without altering its value.

2. How is a compatible ring structure different from a regular ring structure?

A compatible ring structure is specifically designed for use with ring-valued set functions, whereas a regular ring structure can be applied to any set. Additionally, a compatible ring structure must satisfy an additional property called compatibility, which ensures that the set function and its operations are consistent with the underlying set structure.

3. What are some examples of compatible ring structures?

Some common examples of compatible ring structures include power set rings, polynomial rings, and matrix rings. These structures have been extensively studied in mathematics and are used in various fields, such as algebra, geometry, and topology.

4. How are compatible ring structures used in scientific research?

Compatible ring structures have a wide range of applications in scientific research, particularly in the fields of functional analysis and measure theory. They are used to define operations on ring-valued set functions, which are essential tools for studying abstract spaces and solving complex problems in mathematics, physics, and other sciences.

5. Can a compatible ring structure be applied to any type of set function?

No, a compatible ring structure is only applicable to ring-valued set functions. These functions map elements of a set to elements of a ring, which is a mathematical structure consisting of a set and two operations, typically addition and multiplication. Other types of set functions, such as real-valued or complex-valued functions, require different mathematical structures and operations.