Comparing the current through multiple batteries

In summary, after analyzing the circuit and using Kirchhoff's current rule and Ohm's law, it was determined that the current through battery D is less than the current through battery C. The ratio of the current through battery C to battery D was found to be 4/3. Redrawing the circuit also helped in understanding the flow of current through the different branches.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

Is the current through battery D greater than, less than, or equal to the current through battery C. Bulbs identical, and batteries ideal and identical. I took a picture of the circuit, hopefully you can see it - ignore the scribble!

IMG_7579.JPG

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's current rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally when I did the problem I though IB=IA, and got the paper back with it marked as wrong. I am reviewing for an exam now, and am hoping someone can let me know if I've resolved the problem.

IB < IA. We know that the current that goes into the top node must be the same as the current through the bottom node. Why B is less than A is because B is in series with a bulb, which increases the resistance of that branch, and thus lowers the current.

Physics news on Phys.org
acdurbin953 said:
We know that the current that goes into the top node must be the same as the current through the bottom node.
You mean at X and Z? Those are junctions, so it's not clear what you mean by the current 'through' them.
You could consider voltages there, but you have the problem that battery C might oppose the potential difference, so get the lower current.

Another very relevant equation is Ohm's Law. You can use this to quantitatively check your results. Let the resistance of the bulbs be R.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Let the resistance of the bulbs be R.
R1 and R2?

They're identical.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
They're identical.
Ah yes, missed that in the text - thanks.

;)

haruspex said:
You mean at X and Z? Those are junctions, so it's not clear what you mean by the current 'through' them.
You could consider voltages there, but you have the problem that battery C might oppose the potential difference, so get the lower current.

Sorry, I meant that the current which enters X (our prof refers to them as nodes), must be the same the amount of current that leaves Z.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Another very relevant equation is Ohm's Law. You can use this to quantitatively check your results. Let the resistance of the bulbs be R.

Is this correct?

VC=I(R/2), where R/2 is the equiv. resistance from the bulbs in parallel. So IC=2V/R
and
VD=IR, where R is the one bulb in its parallel branch. So ID=V/R

Current is proportional to voltage, so IC must be greater.

Right answer, but slight misconception. Look at the sea of electrons model. An electron leaves battery c, what does it see resistance wise? Repeat the process for d. Hint* the results will differ by a factor of 4, not 2.

Redraw the circuit, varying the layout trying different or more conventional layouts. Do this a couple of times, more if necessary, until you experience that "Ah, ha!" moment. :smile:

acdurbin953 said:
Sorry, I meant that the current which enters X (our prof refers to them as nodes), must be the same the amount of current that leaves Z.
Still not meaningful. What do you mean by "the current which enters X"? It has three links. There may be current entering on two and leaving on one. If you mean the net current then that must be zero. If you just mean the sum of the positive flows into X then I don't see why that should be equal (and opposite) to the sum of the negative flows into Z.
Certainly the flow entering X from Z equals the current leaving Z for X.

Thanks for all the help, you guys! I did finally figure it all out. Re-drawing the circuit helped a lot.

acdurbin953 said:
Thanks for all the help, you guys! I did finally figure it all out. Re-drawing the circuit helped a lot.
Care to share your discovery? What is the ratio of battery currents?

Well redrawing the circuit confirmed for me that D must have less current than C. For finding the actual ratio I used Ohm's law as suggested up-thread. I used a random value for the batteries (5 V) and a random resistance for the bulbs (10 ohm), and got that battery C has 1.5 times the current.

That ratio does sound right! C has more current.

image.jpg

My a-ha moment came in realizing that the current through each parallel branch must sum up to the current experienced by battery C. So I analyzed each branch separately as if it was just a series circuit. So, the left branch in series with battery C would have current 0.5 A. The branch on the right would have current 1 A. The total current then for battery C must be 1.5 A. Current ratio C/D = 1.5/1 aka 4/3.

Last edited:

Related to Comparing the current through multiple batteries

1. What is the purpose of comparing the current through multiple batteries?

The purpose of comparing the current through multiple batteries is to determine the overall strength and performance of the batteries. By comparing the current, we can assess whether the batteries are delivering the desired amount of power and if there are any discrepancies between them.

2. How do you compare the current through multiple batteries?

To compare the current through multiple batteries, you will need to connect them in series or parallel and measure the total current using a multimeter. You can also compare the individual currents of each battery by disconnecting them from the circuit and measuring their current separately.

3. What factors can affect the current through multiple batteries?

Several factors can affect the current through multiple batteries, including their capacity, age, temperature, and internal resistance. The type and configuration of the circuit, as well as the load being powered by the batteries, can also impact the current.

4. Why is it important to compare the current through multiple batteries?

Comparing the current through multiple batteries is essential because it allows us to identify any individual batteries that may be weaker or less efficient than others. This information can help us optimize the use of the batteries and ensure that they are all functioning properly.

5. Can the current through multiple batteries be different even if they are of the same type and brand?

Yes, the current through multiple batteries can be different even if they are of the same type and brand. This could be due to variations in the manufacturing process or slight differences in the batteries' internal components. It is always recommended to compare the current of multiple batteries to ensure their performance is consistent.