Batteries, Resistance, Power, Potential, and Current

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the current and potential difference for a 9V battery with an internal resistance of 1.5 ohms connected to a 3 ohms load. The equations V=IR and I=V/R are used to solve the problems, but there is confusion about why they are set equal to each other and why the current for the resistance load is the same as for the battery. The suggestion is made to draw a circuit diagram and consider whether the components are in series or parallel, as well as the effect on current. Additionally, the concept of shorting the battery terminals is brought up as an example.
NkaujHelp

Homework Statement

You have a 9V battery with an internal resistance of 1.5 ohms. If a 3 ohms load is connected to the battery, how much current will flow through it? When the 3 ohms load is connected, what potential difference will an ideal voltmeter read across the battery's terminals?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, for the first problem, I used the above equation for the battery and for the resistance load and set them equal to each other. So the equation for the battery from above is I=V/R, where V= 9V and R=1.5 ohms. The equation for the resistance load is V=IR, where R=3 ohms. Taking both equations, I got V/R=IR and solved for I, the current. The current came out to be 2 amps. What I don't understand from this problem is why I had to set those equations equal to each other to get the current for the resistance load. Why can't I do I=V/R, where V = 9V and R = 1.5 ohms. If I did that, is that the current through the battery itself? I don't get why the current for the resistance load is the same as for the battery.

For the second problem, I used V=IR again where I took the current from above, 2 A, and plugged it into that equation. V=(2A)(3ohms)=6 V. That is the potential difference an ideal voltmeter will read across the battery's terminals when the 3 ohms load is connected. I don't understand why I am using the 3 ohms load and its current to find the potential difference across a battery's terminals? I don't understand why the battery's own current and its own resistance, 1.5 ohms, was not used to solve this problem. Wouldn't the 6V be the potential difference across the resistance load itself?

I'm just having a hard time understanding the story behind the equations and what I did in these problems. Can someone please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
NkaujHelp said:
Okay, for the first problem, I used the above equation for the battery and for the resistance load and set them equal to each other.
Can you be more specific about what you set equal to what and why? I suggest that you draw a circuit diagram first and study it before calculating anything.

Last edited:
NkaujHelp said:

Homework Statement

You have a 9V battery with an internal resistance of 1.5 ohms. If a 3 ohms load is connected to the battery, how much current will flow through it? When the 3 ohms load is connected, what potential difference will an ideal voltmeter read across the battery's terminals?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't understand from this problem is why I had to set those equations equal to each other to get the current for the resistance load. Why can't I do I=V/R, where V = 9V and R = 1.5 ohms. If I did that, is that the current through the battery itself? I don't get why the current for the resistance load is the same as for the battery.

It would help you if you drew the circuit. Ask yourself ... are the components in series or parallel with each other? and does that mean the current through each is the same or different?

NkaujHelp said:
Why can't I do I=V/R, where V = 9V and R = 1.5 ohms. If I did that, is that the current through the battery itself? I don't get why the current for the resistance load is the same as for the battery.
If you short the battery terminals together, what would be the current?

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage refers to the potential difference or the force that pushes electrons through a circuit, while current refers to the flow of electrons through a circuit. In simpler terms, voltage is the driving force and current is the amount of electricity flowing through a circuit.

2. How does resistance affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of electricity. In a circuit, higher resistance means there is a smaller amount of current flowing through it, while lower resistance allows for a larger amount of current to flow through.

3. What is the relationship between power and current?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. In a circuit, power is equal to the product of current and voltage. This means that for a given voltage, higher current results in higher power and vice versa.

4. How do batteries produce electricity?

Batteries produce electricity through a chemical reaction that occurs inside them. The chemicals inside the battery react with each other, producing a flow of electrons and creating a potential difference or voltage. This allows for an electrical current to flow through a circuit.

5. Can different types of batteries be used interchangeably in electronic devices?

No, different types of batteries have different voltages and capacities, which can affect the performance and safety of electronic devices. It is important to use the type of battery recommended by the manufacturer to ensure proper operation and avoid potential damage to the device.