Community Reacts to Apple vs FBI Story

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apple
In summary: I think that this is a case where the FBI is asking for too much. The geeks should be able to figure it out without having to pay Apple. But I really believe in capitalism more than government takings by force. Why not simply make the FBI pony up whatever the geeks demand to solve their problem? In summary, Apple is refusing to help the FBI break into the phone of a mass murderer, and CEO Tim Cook is concerned about the precedent this could set.
jackwhirl said:
I'm pretty sure they were already on this track way before the current upset. A couple articles said the next generation of iPhones was planned to have firmware that was un-rewritable by any means. I haven't found this explicitly stated anywhere, but I got the impression Apple jumped the gun by claiming that kind of security for the phone in question, which wasn't actually there yet, gamboling on not having that claim challenged. Instead, something like a worst-case scenario happened, and they are reduced to supporting the claim by refusing to write the tool to rewrite the firmware.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Can I just say that I believe that if you used the device in commission of a felony, you've lost your right to have the information hidden?

That means that the information can be viewed, it can only be used as evidence, evidence can either make you not guilty or guilty, so it should be allowed. In the case of terrorism, there should be no question, it should be allowed.

Likes Borg
Evo said:
Can I just say that I believe that if you used the device in commission of a felony, you've lost your right to have the information hidden?

That means that the information can be viewed, it can only be used as evidence, evidence can either make you not guilty or guilty, so it should be allowed. In the case of terrorism, there should be no question, it should be allowed.
Yes, I believe some people are confused about what information people are entitled to keep secret from the law enforcement or think that since it has become technically possible to keep it secret that that somehow changes the rules to make it ok for the information to be secret. That's basically obstruction of justice on technical grounds and not fundamentally different from Arthur Andersen shredding Enron documents -- which they were convicted for.

It seems to me to be a pretty obvious losing argument.

Apple, in this case, is the company who makes the shredder, not Arthur Andersen who used it. Others (Napster) have argued that making the tool to do something illegal shouldn't itself be illegal if it can also be used for non-illegal purposes, but they've generally lost such arguments when the legal uses were thin or the illegal part indiscriminate. The government has tabled efforts to specifically outlaw perfect shredders*, but in this case, Apple has made a shredder that is good enough to foil the FBI while retaining the technical ability to un-shred the documents themselves.

Because the documents can still be un-shredded, there was no immediate need for Congress to act on the issue of un-un-shreddable documents, but the day when it becomes necessary/relevant for Congress to decide is coming. Apple's trying to push up that fight. Trouble is, I think they over-estimate their chances of winning either this fight or that one.

*Actually, in terms of physical paper shredders, my understanding is the good ones are essentially un-shreddable: you are just not allowed to use them for certain things. The issue with the iPhone is that its shredding is indiscriminate.

Evo said:

i agree with that
but
what's at issue is FBI wants Apple to give them a key that'll unlock any (Apple)phone,
even though for hard core computer types the phones are hackable and FBI should have been able to do it themselves..
Now - Party A's felony does not relieve Party B of his right to privacy
so the mere existence of such a device frightens security types.myself i hold no expectation of privacy for anything in electronic medium but not everybody feels that way.
Smartphone ? Meh - i knew they were snakes so never took one home.

jim hardy said:
i what's at issue is FBI wants Apple to give them a key that'll unlock any (Apple)phone,
I know it is Apple's lie, not yours (you are just repeating it), but again, the FBI has not asked (as part of this case) to have the key. They asked Apple to create and use it. Complying with this decision will result in *Apple* having a master key, which the FBI can request/demand they use in other cases, but it would not give the FBI the capability to do it without them.

russ_watters said:
I know it is Apple's lie, not yours (you are just repeating it),

Well, thank you for your tact !

I could well be mistaken, for i do get lost in the whirlwind of information.

The blog i followed on this subject assumes that if such a master key exists it'll get leaked and mis-used.
Right now there exist backdoors through which manufacturers can update software
and i think they're hardening those doors as we speak.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_Enterprise_Deployment_Overview_EN_Sep14.pdf
(Greek to me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
jim hardy said:
The blog i followed on this subject assumes that if such a master key exists it'll get leaked and mis-used.
Right now there exist backdoors through which manufacturers can update software
and i think they're hardening those doors as we speak.
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

The flaw in the logic though is that Apple is portraying a dis-allowed or partially un-done increase in security as a an absolute decrease. That part isn't specifically a lie, it is just wildly misleading: two steps forward and one step back is portrayed as just being one step back, when the sum is one step forward.

russ_watters said:
Because the documents can still be un-shredded, there was no immediate need for Congress to act on the issue of un-un-shreddable documents, but the day when it becomes necessary/relevant for Congress to decide is coming. Apple's trying to push up that fight. Trouble is, I think they over-estimate their chances of winning either this fight or that one.

I generally agree that this current fight is a lost (after a long series of appeals designed as a delay tactic) cause for Apple to win because a reasonable person expects them to do what's possible (use their cryptographic signing key to make a special update designed to the FBI specifications to speed up the process of cracking the data passcode) to help produce even if it seems unlikely to exist on this phone, evidence in this crime. I think the case of Congress mandating that Apple or others to always leave an opening in the future to be exploited via warrant or court order is a completely different type of case and one I can't support if the right to privacy has any meaning in the digital age.

IMO the delay tactic is to allow time for Apple to release its next round of device security improvements that will eliminate all current loopholes as the default.

nsaspook said:
I think the case of Congress mandating that Apple or others to always leave an opening in the future to be exploited via warrant or court order is a completely different type of case and one I can't support if the right to privacy has any meaning in the digital age.
And that's just it: I think the "right to privacy" means a lot less than most people realize today (it does not enable one to evade a search warrant). Allowing uncrackable encryption would be a substantial expansion of it.

russ_watters said:
And that's just it: I think the "right to privacy" means a lot less than most people realize today (it does not enable one to evade a search warrant). Allowing uncrackable encryption would be a substantial expansion of it.

The main issue here is more concerned with the right of third parties to choose whether they assist in executing search warrants rather than the right of suspected criminals to evade them.

Further, while I have no interest in evading search warrants issued by US courts to US agencies, I'm not sure I want my electronic devices subject to searches by foreign governments. Apple points out that any precedents set by US agencies will also be pursued and likely acquired by foreign governments as well.

Apple really seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. They could have cooperated with the FBI and then make future phones truly non-decryptable. The FBI wouldn't have been able to ask to decrypt phones after that because Apple would be able to honestly say that it's impossible. At that point, the FBI couldn't go to court to unlock a particular phone and any court case attempting to make all non-decryptable phones illegal wouldn't make it very far. Their only recourse would be to petition congress to make it illegal. I don't think that the FBI would want to be seen as trying to create new laws. And, let's not forget that the FCC is the primary governing body for telecommunications so they would certainly get involved as well. In short, there would be so many narrow hoops for the FBI to jump through that I don't see a likely scenario where they could achieve a change like that after the fact.

By literally making a federal case out of this, Apple is forcing the judicial branch to make decisions concerning their business. The longer this goes on, the more likely that congress will also get involved. Both of those situations could impact their ability to create unbreakable phones in the future. Apple is lucky that they weren't fighting this case right before 9/11. If there is a significant terrorist act where a non-decryptable phone is involved, Apple's protests will be toast.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Borg said:
They could have cooperated with the FBI and then make future phones truly non-decryptable.

You're really missing the whole point of this thing. The government to order would require Apple to modify the design to give FYI access. Under that doctrine, nobody would be allowed to design a truly non-decryptable device (for public use) in the future.

anorlunda said:
You're really missing the whole point of this thing. The government to order would require Apple to modify the design to give FYI access. Under that doctrine, nobody would be allowed to design a truly non-decryptable device (for public use) in the future.
Not really. This case is no different than the government getting a court order to have a locksmith open a lock. He might have to make a key to do it but he is not changing the design of the lock. If Apple had truly created a non-decryptable phone, no locksmith-created key in the world would get anyone in.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Dr. Courtney said:
Further, while I have no interest in evading search warrants issued by US courts to US agencies, I'm not sure I want my electronic devices subject to searches by foreign governments. Apple points out that any precedents set by US agencies will also be pursued and likely acquired by foreign governments as well.
That sounds wrong to me at face value, but given your other arguments and the vagueness of that position, I can't be sure what sort of scenario you are imagining -- but I expect it is probably unrealistic.

russ_watters said:
That sounds wrong to me at face value, but given your other arguments and the vagueness of that position, I can't be sure what sort of scenario you are imagining -- but I expect it is probably unrealistic.

Is it unrealistic to expect that Americans traveling in other countries might have their electronics stolen or confiscated with subsequent attempts of those foreign governments to access the contents?

anorlunda said:
You're really missing the whole point of this thing. The government to order would require Apple to modify the design to give FBI access. Under that doctrine, nobody would be allowed to design a truly non-decryptable device (for public use) in the future.
I think - again - this is Apple's misrepresentation tripping you up. The court order specifies Apple making and using (and destroying, if they want) the new OS only on this phone. It doesn't say anything about future features of phones that don't exist (how could it?). Compliance with the order is only possible because of Apple's back door into the phone. If they had waited until they had a truly uncrackable phone to make a stand, there wouldn't really have even been any need for a stand! It would be futile to order someone to do something impossible!

I agree with Borg that they overplayed their hand here. They are probably overestimating their power of/over public opinion.

See Uber for how successful the Just Do It (and let the government catch up) approach can be.

russ_watters said:
It doesn't say anything about future features of phones that don't exist (how could it?).

That's absurd.

How could it? By precedent. Come on Russ, surely you're aware of how courts use precedent to reapply past decisions to future cases.

Dr. Courtney said:
Is it unrealistic to expect that Americans traveling in other countries might have their electronics stolen or confiscated with subsequent attempts of those foreign governments to access the contents?
No, it isn't. But it is unrealistic (bizarrely) to think that Americans could/should be exempt from the laws of the countries they are visiting!

anorlunda said:
That's absurd.

How could it? By precedent. Come on Russ, surely you're aware of how courts use precedent to reapply past decisions to future cases.
How can you apply the precedent of helping to crack a phone to phones that are uncrackable? The order does not forbid them from making future uncrackable phones. I think Apple is correct that the law will need to be clarified for that.

Heck, if you were correct about how broad the precedent could be, we wouldn't be having this conversation! Apple has always complied with phone cracking requests in the past, so by your logic they should already be forbidden to make uncrackable ones.

russ_watters said:
Apple has always complied with phone cracking requests in the past, so by your logic they should already be forbidden to make uncrackable ones.
No comment on the rest, but this article states that previous requests did not compromise encrypted data.

From the fifth paragraph:
Linked Article said:
The scope of the encrypted data changed with iOS 8, moving to include contacts and texts, but the encryption itself didn’t change and there was a lot of app data that was simply inaccessible on both systems.

russ_watters said:

Uncrackable (robust non-key recovery encryption) encryption is allowed by default in the USA so a law disallowing it would be a reduction in the freedom to left alone. Prohibition didn't work with booze, drugs or with anything else a large percentage of people want and are willing to pay for. The computer hardware and code to implement digital privacy can't be made to disappear by waving the magic wand of law.

nsaspook said:
Uncrackable (robust non-key recovery encryption) encryption is allowed by default in the USA so a law disallowing it would be a reduction in the freedom to left alone. Prohibition didn't work with booze, drugs or with anything else a large percentage of people want and are willing to pay for. The computer hardware and code to implement digital privacy can't be made to disappear by waving the magic wand of law.
Makes me wonder how the current certificate authorities are currently set up. For the web server that I'm running, I created my own certificates. As soon as I did that, I couldn't view the pages on my phone. Even though I could accept the certificates, the phone wouldn't let me put them in my trusted folder without rooting the phone. It may be that the phone company that installed the OS, did that to protect people from themselves. However, I do wonder how many authorities in the default trust list have key recovery encryption capabilities for the certificates that they provide.

nsaspook said:
Uncrackable (robust non-key recovery encryption) encryption is allowed by default in the USA so a law disallowing it would be a reduction in the freedom to left alone.
You are referring to current law (and you are probably correct), but I am referring to what exists. A law change would limit what is allowed, but would not reduce the actual security/privacy that currently exists.

Apple says they want to give their customers uncrackable encryption and it is currently legal for them to do so (so why didn't they?).

It tends to be easier to do it and then let the government react, because the claim of a reduction in freedom is a lot easier to justify if people are already doing it.

Also, I said "probably" because the courts tend to like specificity in the law, but it is also possible to interpret existing law (previously cited) as already requiring access.

russ_watters said:
You are referring to current law (and you are probably correct), but I am referring to what exists. A law change would limit what is allowed, but would not reduce the actual security/privacy that currently exists.

Apple is not the entire domestic security universe. Products exist today that provide total encryption and no OEM backdoors for domestic use.
Example: https://silent-circle.myshopify.com/products/blackphone2

Not for sale to the public:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Black

:eek:

russ_watters said:
No, it isn't. But it is unrealistic (bizarrely) to think that Americans could/should be exempt from the laws of the countries they are visiting!

It is appalling that you are OK with foreign countries imprisoning US citizens without due process, issuing warrants without probable cause, or hacking into the private phones and computers of US citizens without a legitimate reason. Are you really naive enough to believe that officials of all foreign governments visited by US citizens follow their own laws? Do you believe every court order issued by every nation is really just? When I was a Dept of Defense employee, there was a long list of countries we were not supposed to visit, because the DoD had no way to ensure our civil rights would not be violated while we were there. I'm sure that list of countries has grown by now.

Our founding fathers left the other nations of the world and set up something different, because of the rampant abuses of human rights throughout the world. These abuses still exist in much of the world. It is shameful that you would deny US citizens a technological advantage when being faced with the possibility of being subjected to these abuses.

Is it unreasonable to suppose that those who think its OK for US citizens to be subject to these human rights abuses by foreign governments won't object when our government does the same things?

Dr. Courtney said:
It is appalling that you are OK with foreign countries imprisoning US citizens without due process, issuing warrants without probable cause, or hacking into the private phones and computers of US citizens without a legitimate reason.
You're really reading a lot into what russ said. When it comes to corrupt governments and repressive regimes like you are describing, Apple can ignore demands from such, pretty much with impunity.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Dr. Courtney said:
It is appalling that you are OK with foreign countries imprisoning US citizens without due process...
Yeah, and that's what I mean about your vague posts having elaborate fantasies behind them. I have no idea where you are getting that idea and I certainly wouldn't be ok with any such thing. Maybe if you describe a very specific scenario, I'll let you know what I think about it.

To be clear, here:
Try applying that to, say, France. Let's say you start a Ponzi scheme in France and use your iPhone to orchestrate it. Do you think your Apple encryption should be allowed to protect you from a French search warrant? I don't. If the French government confiscates your cell phone and attempts to access its contents, I think it should be entitled to after going through proper legal channels. Heck, if you kept the records of your fraud in a duffel bag instead of a cell phone, they wouldn't need to crack it, they could just get a warrant and confiscate it. You think a cell phone should be exempt from that because...it is possible to do it?

Evo said:

Everyone has forgotten that the County of San Bernadino owns this phone. They bought phones for their employees for work purposes. The County of San Bernadino gave the FBI permission to get into the phone pretty much from the get-go. Farook was a government employee. That fact is the tip of an iceberg that no one has explored. Apple is not taking a stand here for the privacy of individual citizens who might buy their phones.

Googling, I find this very interesting site:
http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/
Apple offers volume discounts to government agencies.

The question I have, though, is why do government agencies buy phones for their employees at all? They have a job, why can't they get their own phones? This article from a few years ago sheds light:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/03/tech/mobile/government-android-phones/
Currently, the United States doesn't allow government workers or soldiers to use smartphones for sending classified messages because the devices have not met security certifications.

Officials have said they worry that hackers or rogue apps could tap into the commercial version of Android and spill state secrets to foreign governments or to the Web through a publisher such as WikiLeaks. As many as 5 million Android users may have had their phones compromised by a recent virus outbreak rooted in apps found on Google's market, said security software maker Symantec.

But with a secure smartphone, a soldier could see fellow infantry on a digital map, or an official could send an important dispatch from Washington's Metro subway without fear of security breaches.

As you'd expect, the government is concerned about the security of its own communications. The employee's own phone might not be secure enough.

But, San Bernadino county didn't give androids out, it gave Apples. This next (also old) article explains that the government has also been giving its employees Apples (not just androids):

The Army is issuing iPhones, iPads, Android-based devices, Touch Pros, Palm Treos, and Kindles as part of its http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/mobile/228800712 . The program aims to equip soldiers with the communications and other tools they need from the classroom to the battlefield.

One of the key reasons Apple and Android-based smartphones and tablets are becoming popular with federal agencies is their ability to support video and other graphics-rich applications, Keitt said.

A pilot project at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms provides a glimpse of the possibilities. ATF http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/mobile/224200223 using iPhones and other smartphones that let agents in the field monitor surveillance video taken by IP cameras of drug trafficking and other crimes. The idea, similar to the Army's interest in the devices, is to give agents access to pertinent information anytime, anywhere.

Agents with the U.S. Marshals Service today carry BlackBerries. But the agency is mid-way into a six month trial of iPads, iPhones, and Android-based devices, according to its CIO, Lisa Davis. http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/enterprise-apps/228000084 are also reportedly using iPhones.

http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/federal-agencies-embrace-iphones-ipads/d/d-id/1098071?

So, in all this Apple vs FBI situation, no one has mentioned the huge number of government and military personnel who require completely secure phones, nor all the recent experiments it has undertaken with different kinds of phones to achieve security. That Farook had this very secure phone at all, was because he was a government employee. Don't lose sight of that.

The FBI has put Apple in the vice and is squeezing it while Apple grits its teeth and tries to endure in order to reassure all its government and military customers (among others) who need secure devices, that it won't compromise its security for anyone. Ironically, everyone, including the FBI, has forgotten Farook was a government employee who required a secure device. The crime was emotionally incendiary, so now he's exclusively viewed by the FBI (and everyone) as a terrorist and his capacity as a government employee is forgotten. That's a twist no one in the quest for secure government phones anticipated and which people have avoided focussing on: the terrorist was a government employee with a need for a secure device.

The crime was emotionally incendiary, so the FBI has had many fires lit beneath it, no doubt, to "do something!" Squeezing Apple is "something", therefore Apple must be squeezed, despite the fact it's doubtful there's anything important on the phone. There are probably huge numbers of high ranking people in government and the military, and also lawyers and people in industry - people who want completely secure phones - who are afraid to speak up for Apple in this case, because of the weird "perfect storm" circumstance, where speaking up for complete phone security can, and is being, construed by moral entrepreneurs (Senator Tom Cotton) as pro-terrorist.

On top of having fires lit beneath it, the FBI, and all law enforcement, has had a big issue with "going dark" for a while. Encryption (going dark) hinders them, so, from their perspective, it's a bad thing. Politicians, judges, government agencies, and all branches of the military, however, want good encryption for obvious reasons, so every branch of the government outside law enforcement is at odds with law enforcement on this issue. (But, I'm sure, very regretfully so.)

Anyway, I think the FBI is going to squeeze Apple very hard, not because of this one refusal, but because it is frustrated at Apple for being a leader in phone security. But, while secure phones hinder law enforcement, don't forget they hinder people who want to listen in on people in the government, in the military, and in law enforcement. That includes terrorists, and governments like those of North Korea, Iran, Syria, etc.

In short, this is a very complicated situation.

zoobyshoe said:
Everyone has forgotten that the County of San Bernadino owns this phone. They bought phones for their employees for work purposes. The County of San Bernadino gave the FBI permission to get into the phone pretty much from the get-go. Farook was a government employee. That fact is the tip of an iceberg that no one has explored. Apple is not taking a stand here for the privacy of individual citizens who might buy their phones.
In short, this is a very complicated situation.

This just means the FBI and The County of San Bernadino displayed gross incompetence in handling this phone.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/20/san-bernadino-county-fbi-gunman-apple-account

nsaspook said:
This just means the FBI and The County of San Bernadino displayed gross incompetence in handling this phone.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/20/san-bernadino-county-fbi-gunman-apple-account
Whatever. You're completely missing my point: this has nothing to do with some individual's right to privacy. Apple is posturing here for the benefit of other parts of the government (other than law enforcement) who want secure phones. Apple wants the largest possible piece of the Government market for secure phones. Think about it. Best case scenario: everyone in the military is required to have an iPhone.

russ_watters said:
Try applying that to, say, France. Let's say you start a Ponzi scheme in France and use your iPhone to orchestrate it. Do you think your Apple encryption should be allowed to protect you from a French search warrant? I don't. If the French government confiscates your cell phone and attempts to access its contents, I think it should be entitled to after going through proper legal channels.

The French are probably smart enough for their own geeks to crack it or to have McAfee's geeks crack it.

The Iranians, Mexicans, and most nations many likely to abuse such invasions of privacy probably won't be able to crack it.

Can you make a strong case that Apple is the only party in the US capable of cracking this phone?

Can you make a strong case that a search warrant is not just _permission_ for government to search, that it confers on the government the power to conscript any party they deem necessary to execute the search to their satisfaction?

Finally, which foreign countries will it be acceptable to conscript US parties to execute their searches? France seems to have your approval already.

The one sided statements from Apple on this issue irk me, as this is a hard problem and pretending it's one sided makes it worse. By contrast, here is director Comey

"But in the larger conversation, I think our role is just to make folks understand what are the costs associated with moving to a world of universal, strong encryption.

"There's tons of benefits," Comey continued. "I love encryption, I love privacy, but when I hear corporations saying we're going to take you to a world where no one can look at your stuff, part of me thinks, that's great, I don't want anybody looking at my stuff.

"Then I step back and say, law enforcement, which I'm part of, really does save people's lives, rescue kids, rescue neighborhoods from terrorists, and we do that a whole lot with court orders that are search warrants; and we do it a whole lot with search warrants of mobile devices."

Comey is the finest appointment Obama has made in his tenure.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
zoobyshoe said:
Whatever. You're completely missing my point: this has nothing to do with some individual's right to privacy. Apple is posturing here for the benefit of other parts of the government (other than law enforcement) who want secure phones. Apple wants the largest possible piece of the Government market for secure phones. Think about it. Best case scenario: everyone in the military is required to have an iPhone.

That's your position but I think it misses the mark on why this case is happening now. Sure Apple wants to sell secure phones to governments (a slice of the profit pie) but it also doesn't want to 'sell' secure phone cracking software that might reduce it's larger public sales slice of that same pie.
Apple phones are not secure from the managers of supplied phones unless those managers fail to lock-down the access correctly with MDM software. Farook was a government employee with a government managed Apple phone and a government IT dept that could have configured the phone to allow them access period but they didn't.

The governments fall-back position is to force Apple to produce something that could be used at future requests on any individual's phone with a proper warrant or court order if the FBI wins. I personally think the balance is with the FBI in this one case but soon technology will make winning a moot point.

mheslep said:
The one sided statements from Apple on this issue irk me, as this is a hard problem and pretending it's one sided makes it worse. By contrast, here is director Comey
Comey is the best appointment Obama made in his tenure, period, end of story.

Sure, it's a hard problem for law enforcement to circumvent the bill of rights by limiting domestic use of universal, strong encryption. I don't think they are close to making that case today even if it was remotely possible for a law to be effective.

What about the children? Heavy sigh.