Combining Stoke's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Vishak95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl Flux
In summary, the question is about finding the flux of a given vector field using Stoke's Theorem. The curl of the vector field is needed to compute the flux, and Stoke's Theorem allows for converting the surface integral of the curl into a closed line integral. The normal vector is included in the definition of the differential area vector $d\mathbf{A}$ and the three Fundamental Theorems of Calculus (Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Stoke's Theorem, and Divergence Theorem) can be combined in certain cases, but not when the vector field is of the form $\nabla\times\mathbf{G}$.
Vishak95
Hi,

Could someone please guide me with this question? I'm unsure as to what the curl has to do with finding flux..

PS. This isn't actually assessed work, it's from a past question paper that I am using to revise.

View attachment 2637

Thanks heaps!

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 55
Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you what the curl has to do with things. You're told that $\mathbf{F}=x^2 \hat{\mathbf{i}}+(y-2xy)\hat{\mathbf{j}}-z\hat{\mathbf{k}},$ and that $\mathbf{F}=\nabla\times\left(yz\hat{\mathbf{i}}+x^2 y\hat{\mathbf{k}}\right)$. Let $\mathbf{G}=yz\hat{\mathbf{i}}+x^2 y\hat{\mathbf{k}}$, so that $\mathbf{F}=\nabla\times\mathbf{G}$. You're asked to compute
$$\iint_{S} \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{A}=\iint_{S}(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A},$$
which is the flux of $\mathbf{F}$. By Stoke's Theorem, you have that
$$\iint_{S}(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A}=\oint_{C}\mathbf{G}\cdot d\mathbf{r}.$$
Here $C$ is the contour that forms the "boundary" of $S$. Stoke's Theorem says that you can convert the surface integral of a curl into the closed line integral of the surface's boundary. To get a handle on $C$, set $z=0=2x-x^2-y^2$, and see what that curve looks like in the $x-y$ plane. The business of saying "oriented away from the $x-y$ plane" tells you in which direction to perform the line integral.

Ackbach said:
I can tell you what the curl has to do with things. You're told that $\mathbf{F}=x^2 \hat{\mathbf{i}}+(y-2xy)\hat{\mathbf{j}}-z\hat{\mathbf{k}},$ and that $\mathbf{F}=\nabla\times\left(yz\hat{\mathbf{i}}+x^2 y\hat{\mathbf{k}}\right)$. Let $\mathbf{G}=yz\hat{\mathbf{i}}+x^2 y\hat{\mathbf{k}}$, so that $\mathbf{F}=\nabla\times\mathbf{G}$. You're asked to compute
$$\iint_{S} \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{A}=\iint_{S}(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A},$$
which is the flux of $\mathbf{F}$. By Stoke's Theorem, you have that
$$\iint_{S}(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A}=\oint_{C}\mathbf{G}\cdot d\mathbf{r}.$$
Here $C$ is the contour that forms the "boundary" of $S$. Stoke's Theorem says that you can convert the surface integral of a curl into the closed line integral of the surface's boundary. To get a handle on $C$, set $z=0=2x-x^2-y^2$, and see what that curve looks like in the $x-y$ plane. The business of saying "oriented away from the $x-y$ plane" tells you in which direction to perform the line integral.

Thanks for the response. That clears most of my doubts up.

Just a further query though, the form of Stokes' Theorem in my textbook looks like this:

\(\displaystyle \int \int (CurlF)\cdot n dA = \oint F \cdot dr\)

Could you please explain why the n is not needed in dealing with this problem :P

Vishak said:
Thanks for the response. That clears most of my doubts up.

Just a further query though, the form of Stokes' Theorem in my textbook looks like this:

\(\displaystyle \int \int (CurlF)\cdot n dA = \oint F \cdot dr\)

Could you please explain why the n is not needed in dealing with this problem :P

I think if you look, you will see that (note carefully the bold and non-bold letters) what you have for Stoke's Theorem is
$$\iint(\text{curl}\;\mathbf{F})\cdot \mathbf{n} \, dA=\dots,$$
whereas I wrote
$$\iint(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A}=\dots$$
The explanation is that $\mathbf{n}\,dA=d\mathbf{A}$. So the normal vector is absolutely needed here, it's just that some people include it in $d\mathbf{A}$, thinking of that differential area vector as including the normal vector in its definition.

Ackbach said:
I think if you look, you will see that (note carefully the bold and non-bold letters) what you have for Stoke's Theorem is
$$\iint(\text{curl}\;\mathbf{F})\cdot \mathbf{n} \, dA=\dots,$$
whereas I wrote
$$\iint(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A}=\dots$$
The explanation is that $\mathbf{n}\,dA=d\mathbf{A}$. So the normal vector is absolutely needed here, it's just that some people include it in $d\mathbf{A}$, thinking of that differential area vector as including the normal vector in its definition.

Ohh okay, thank you.

Just to get my fundamentals correct, would be I be correct in saying this?

\(\displaystyle \int \int \boldsymbol{F}\cdot \boldsymbol{n}dS = \int \int \int div(\boldsymbol{F})dV = \int \int (curl\boldsymbol{F})\cdot \boldsymbol{n }dA = \oint \boldsymbol{F}\cdot dr\)

Vishak said:
Ohh okay, thank you.

Just to get my fundamentals correct, would be I be correct in saying this?

\(\displaystyle \int \int \boldsymbol{F}\cdot \boldsymbol{n}dS = \int \int \int div(\boldsymbol{F})dV = \int \int (curl\boldsymbol{F})\cdot \boldsymbol{n }dA = \oint \boldsymbol{F}\cdot dr\)

Here's what you have - the three basic Fundamental Theorems of Calculus, in increasing numbers of dimensions:
\begin{align*}
\int_a^bf'(x) \, dx&=f(b)-f(a) \quad \text{Fundamental Theorem of Calculus} \\
\iint_S (\nabla\times\mathbf{G}) \cdot d\mathbf{A}&= \oint_C \mathbf{G}\cdot d\mathbf{r} \quad \text{Stoke's Theorem} \\
\iiint_V (\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}) \, dV&= \iint_S \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{A} \quad \text{Divergence Theorem},
\end{align*}
where that last surface integral in the divergence theorem is a closed integral. For some reason our $\LaTeX$ rendering does not allow the \oiint symbol.

A couple of comments about these three theorems:
  1. Note that all three theorems look like $$\int_{\text{interior}}(\text{derivative of something}) \, dH=\int_{\text{boundary}}(\text{something}) \,dG, $$
    where $dH$ has one more dimension than $dG$.
  2. Green's Theorem is a special case of Stoke's Theorem.

I'm afraid you can't combine Stoke's Theorem with the Divergence Theorem. I've thought myself sometimes: couldn't you combine the Divergence Theorem with Stoke's Theorem? Here's the problem: Stoke's Theorem has an open surface with a closed boundary. But the Divergence Theorem has a volume with a closed surface. A closed surface has no contour for a boundary, so that you can't go from Divergence to Stoke's all in one equation. In addition, in order to use both theorems all together (referencing the equations above), you'd have to have $\mathbf{F}=\nabla\times\mathbf{G}$. But $\nabla\cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})=0$, a vector calculus identity. So even if you were able to combine the equations into one like this:
$$\iiint_V (\nabla \cdot(\nabla\times\mathbf{G})) \, dV
=\iint_S (\nabla\times\mathbf{G})\cdot d\mathbf{A}
=\oint_C \mathbf{G}\cdot d\mathbf{r},$$
the initial volume integral is zero. In other words, this equation couldn't tell you anything.

Related to Combining Stoke's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem?

What is flux and how is it related to curl?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface. It is related to curl because the curl of a vector field represents the rotational behavior of the field, and this can affect the amount of flux through a surface.

How is the curl used to calculate flux?

The curl is used to calculate flux by taking the dot product of the curl vector and the surface normal vector, and then integrating this value over the surface.

What is the difference between closed and open surfaces when calculating flux using curl?

A closed surface is one that completely encloses a region, while an open surface does not. When calculating flux using curl, the surface must be closed to ensure an accurate calculation.

Can flux be negative when calculated using curl?

Yes, flux can be negative when calculated using curl. This indicates that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the surface normal, resulting in a negative dot product.

What are some practical applications of calculating flux using curl?

Calculating flux using curl has many practical applications, such as in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. It is used to study the behavior of vector fields and can help with designing systems that involve fluid flow or heat transfer.