Divergence theorem and closed surfaces

In summary, the conversation is about identifying closed and open surfaces in exercises involving the divergence theorem and flux integrals. The question is whether to close the surface or not, especially in cases like a truncated cylinder or a tetrahedron in the first octant. The expert explains that a closed surface does not have a boundary and in the case of the cut cylinder, end-caps are needed to close the surface. However, the end cap flux integrals may be zero for certain vector fields. The question also asks if there are any clues in the exercise to determine whether to add the end cap or not.
mr.tea
Hi,

I have a question about identifying closed and open surfaces.
Usually, when I see some exercises in the subject of the divergence theorem/flux integrals, I am not sure when the surface is open and needed to be closed or if it is already closed.
I mean for example a cylinder that is truncated, or tetrahedron in the first octant(x,y,z>=0)... I have seen some exercises that also add the "cover" to close the surface and some that don't.

How should I figure out what to do in a given exercise to help me understand when I should closed the surface or not.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A closed surface does not have a boundary. In the case of the cut cylinder, you need the end-caps to close the surface, otherwise you will have a one-dimensional boundary where you have cut it. Now, it may be that the end cap flux integrals are zero for particular vector fields, especially vector fields which is orthogonal to the end cap normal vectors.

Likes mr.tea
Orodruin said:
A closed surface does not have a boundary. In the case of the cut cylinder, you need the end-caps to close the surface, otherwise you will have a one-dimensional boundary where you have cut it. Now, it may be that the end cap flux integrals are zero for particular vector fields, especially vector fields which is orthogonal to the end cap normal vectors.

Thank you for the answer.

Is it possible to notice if the author who writes the question wants you to add the cap or not? sometimes I see exercises that say "the solid hemisphere.." or something that says "the hemisphere with the disc in the xy-plane..." or "upper half of the hemisphere (some equation) that lies above the unit disc...", and similar questions.

Thank you.

Related to Divergence theorem and closed surfaces

1. What is the divergence theorem and how is it related to closed surfaces?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the field inside the surface. It states that the integral of the divergence of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the surface.

2. What is a closed surface and how is it different from an open surface?

A closed surface is a surface that completely encloses a three-dimensional region. This means that there are no holes or gaps in the surface and every point on the surface is connected to every other point. In contrast, an open surface is a surface that does not enclose a three-dimensional region and may have holes or gaps. Closed surfaces are commonly used in the application of the divergence theorem because it allows for a simpler calculation of the integral.

3. How is the divergence theorem used in real-world applications?

The divergence theorem has many real-world applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics to calculate the flow of fluids through a closed surface, in electromagnetism to determine electric and magnetic fields, and in thermodynamics to calculate heat transfer. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to model and analyze three-dimensional objects and surfaces.

4. What is the mathematical formula for the divergence theorem?

The mathematical formula for the divergence theorem is given by:
∫∫S F · dS = ∫∫∫V ∇ · F dV
where F is a vector field, S is a closed surface, V is the enclosed three-dimensional region, and ∇ · F is the divergence of the vector field F.

5. Are there any limitations or special cases to consider when using the divergence theorem?

Yes, there are a few limitations and special cases to consider when using the divergence theorem. The surface and the region must be well-behaved and smooth, and the vector field must be continuous. Additionally, the region must be simply connected, meaning that there are no holes or gaps in the region. If these conditions are not met, then the divergence theorem may not hold and alternative methods may need to be used.