Combinatorics: Steiner Triple System

In summary, the Steiner triple system is a set of triples where every pair of elements of the set appear together in a unique triple.
Robben

Homework Statement

A Steiner Triple System, denoted by ##STS(v),## is a pair ##(S,T)## consisting of a set ##S## with ##v## elements, and a set ##T## consisting of triples of ##S## such that every pair of elements of ##S## appear together in a unique triple of ##T##.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

My book goes on to say that the number of triples of a ##STS(n)## disjoint from a given triple is ##(n-3)(n-7)/6## but I am not sure how they got that result?

I know that there are ##n(n-1)/6## triples altogether where each point of a triple lies in ##(n-1)/2## triples but I am not sure how they got that ##(n-3)(n-7)/6.##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try subtracting the number of non-disjoint sets from the total.

certainly said:
Try subtracting the number of non-disjoint sets from the total.
Can you elaborate please? What does it mean when a STS is disjoint from a given triple?

say the first triple is (a,b,c), for a triple to be disjoint to this triple it must not contain any of the elements a, b, c i.e. the union of 2 disjoint triples will be the null set.
[EDIT:- so you are to find all triples in the STS that do not contain any of the elements a,b or c.]

certainly said:
say the first triple is (a,b,c), for a triple to be disjoint to this triple it must not contain any of the elements a, b, c i.e. the union of 2 disjoint triples will be the null set.
[EDIT:- so you are to find all triples in the STS that do not contain any of the elements a,b or c.]

Oh, I see thank you.

Were you able to prove the desired result ?

Using your suggestion I got that ##n(n−1)/6−3(n−1)/2## but I am still not sure how they got ##(n−3)(n−7)/6?##

Let
Inline1.gif
be a set of
Inline2.gif
elements together with a set
Inline3.gif
of 3-subset (triples) of
Inline4.gif
such that every 2-subset of
Inline5.gif
occurs in exactly one triple of [PLAIN]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/SteinerTripleSystem/Inline6.gif. Then http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/SteinerTripleSystem/Inline7.gif is called a Steiner triple system.
Let's use this definition henceforth. It is not only much simpler, but also a lot more clear.
You are forgetting to subtract the original set and you are also forgetting that more than one 2-subsets were covered in the original triple. And since every 2-subset has a unique triple you need to take those into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Robben

Related to Combinatorics: Steiner Triple System

1. What is a Steiner Triple System?

A Steiner Triple System is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements arranged in groups of three, called triples. In this system, every pair of elements appears in exactly one triple. It is also known as a Steiner system, and is often denoted as S(2,3,v), where v is the number of elements in the system.

2. What is the significance of a Steiner Triple System?

Steiner Triple Systems have important applications in combinatorics, coding theory, and design theory. They are also used in the construction of error-correcting codes and in the design of experiments.

3. How is a Steiner Triple System constructed?

A Steiner Triple System can be constructed using various methods, such as the Bose construction, the Bruck-Ryser-Chowla construction, or the Singer construction. These methods involve creating a set of triples that satisfy certain properties, such as every pair appearing exactly once and no repeated elements within a triple.

4. What is the difference between a Steiner Triple System and a Steiner Quadruple System?

A Steiner Quadruple System is a generalization of a Steiner Triple System, where the elements are arranged in groups of four instead of three. In a Steiner Quadruple System, every pair of elements appears in exactly one quadruple, while in a Steiner Triple System, every pair appears in exactly one triple. Additionally, a Steiner Quadruple System can be constructed using a Steiner Triple System.

5. What are some open problems related to Steiner Triple Systems?

Some open problems related to Steiner Triple Systems include finding the largest known size of a Steiner Triple System, determining the existence of certain types of Steiner Triple Systems, and finding efficient methods for constructing these systems. Additionally, there is ongoing research to explore the connections between Steiner Triple Systems and other mathematical structures.