How Can I Find the Volume of a Solid Bounded by Three Coordinate Planes?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid bounded by three coordinate planes and two additional planes. The attempt at a solution involves using a triple integral, but the limits are incorrect. After getting a hint, the correct limits are identified by plotting the region in 3D. The correct bounds for the integral are 0 < y < 1-x , 0 < x < 1, x+y < z < 2-x-y.
hqjb
Can someone help me with this?

Homework Statement

Find the volume V of the solid S bounded by the three coordinate planes, bounded above
by the plane x+ y+ z = 2, and bounded below by the plane z = x+ y.

Homework Equations

x + y + z = 2
z = x + y

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{-x}^{2-x}\int_{x+y}^{2-y-x}dzdydx[/itex]
So I used the above triple integral and got -4(did it twice), wolfram-alpha's calculator gives me 0 and the textbook answer is 1/3

So obviously I did something wrong in the triple integral and in identifying the limits.
But I just want to know the right limits for the above question as I have problems identifying them (I drew traces(attached) on the planes but not sure if the region's right)

Attachments

• region.jpg
    region.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
hqjb said:
Can someone help me with this?

Homework Statement

Find the volume V of the solid S bounded by the three coordinate planes, bounded above
by the plane x+ y+ z = 2, and bounded below by the plane z = x+ y.

Homework Equations

x + y + z = 2
z = x + y

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{-x}^{2-x}\int_{x+y}^{2-y-x}dzdydx[/itex]
So I used the above triple integral and got -4(did it twice), wolfram-alpha's calculator gives me 0 and the textbook answer is 1/3

So obviously I did something wrong in the triple integral and in identifying the limits.
But I just want to know the right limits for the above question as I have problems identifying them (I drew traces(attached) on the planes but not sure if the region's right)
Hello hqjb. Welcome to PF !

Where do the planes, x+ y+ z = 2 and z = x+ y intersect ?

SammyS said:
Hello hqjb. Welcome to PF !

Where do the planes, x+ y+ z = 2 and z = x+ y intersect ?

Hey thanks.
I suppose that's more of a hint than an answer right?

I think you'll get y=1-x,
tried and got the right answer with [itex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{2-y-x}dzdydx[/itex]
but I am not sure why

Last edited:
hqjb said:
Hey thanks.
I suppose that's more of a hint than an answer right?

I think you'll get y=1-x,
tried and got the right answer with [itex]\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1-x}\int_{0}^{2-2y-2x}dzdydx[/itex]
but I'm not sure why
The lower bound for the z integral is wrong --- should be x+y .

You will often get hints and other guidance, so that you will then understand how to solve a problem.

SammyS said:
The lower bound for the z integral is wrong --- should be x+y .

You will often get hints and other guidance, so that you will then understand how to solve a problem.

Yes, I am hoping to understand this too. That wasn't an attempt to answer but a random integral that got the answer lol.

I finally got it after plotting the thing in 3d. my x-y trace was wrong it should be the line of intersection between the two planes.

Why can't it be if I let z=0 for both equations and draw the region?

hqjb said:
Yes, I'm hoping to understand this too. That wasn't an attempt to answer but a random integral that got the answer lol.

I finally got it after plotting the thing in 3d. my x-y trace was wrong it should be the line of intersection between the two planes.

Why can't it be if I let z=0 for both equations and draw the region?
The region only touches the xy-plane (z = 0) at a single point, the origin.

SammyS said:
The region only touches the xy-plane (z = 0) at a single point, the origin.

Alright understood, so i shouldn't use the x-y trace in this case because there isn't one.
And the bounds are 0 < y < 1-x , 0 < x < 1, x+y < z < 2-x-y ?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Related to How Can I Find the Volume of a Solid Bounded by Three Coordinate Planes?

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves calculating the integral of a function over a three-dimensional region.

2. When is a triple integral used?

A triple integral is used when the shape in question cannot be easily broken down into simpler shapes, such as a cube or cylinder. It is also used to find the volume of irregular or complex shapes, for which other methods may not work.

3. How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) based on the shape's boundaries. Then, you need to identify the function that represents the shape and determine the order in which the variables should be integrated.

4. What are the applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, calculus, and computer graphics. They can be applied to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of three-dimensional objects.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving triple integrals?

There are certain symmetries and properties of three-dimensional shapes that can be used to simplify the process of solving triple integrals. These include spherical symmetry, cylindrical symmetry, and using appropriate coordinate systems such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates.