Color images of red/green lasers

In summary: If it moves only as a result of the optical path, then it is likely a reflection. If it also moves as a result of the electronic path (the dots are moving on the CCD), then it is more likely to be a physical object in the lens.
inquisitivegeek
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums.

I recently tried to take an image of two laser dots on a white wall, using my laptop's USB camera. I saved them to PNGs.

I have a number of questions...
1. There was an artifact with the green laser, where a smaller second dot appeared for some reason. What caused the artifact?

2. The lasers are AFAIK monochromatic, however the red or green in the images clearly are not monochromatic. Why is this?

3. Why are the central, brightest regions of the laser dots colored as white? My hunch is that it has something to do with the Bayer interpolation algorithm that interprets very bright red/green (and probably, blue) spots as white, without checking whether the other colors are bright too.

Cheers,
J.

Attachments

• just_two_lasers.png
    just_two_lasers.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 602
Engineering news on Phys.org
inquisitivegeek said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums.
Welcome to PF!

inquisitivegeek said:
1. There was an artifact with the green laser, where a smaller second dot appeared for some reason. What caused the artifact?
I would guess internal reflection. What type of camera did you use? If you center the green laser, do you see multiple additional dots?
inquisitivegeek said:
2. The lasers are AFAIK monochromatic, however the red or green in the images clearly are not monochromatic. Why is this?

3. Why are the central, brightest regions of the laser dots colored as white? My hunch is that it has something to do with the Bayer interpolation algorithm that interprets very bright red/green (and probably, blue) spots as white, without checking whether the other colors are bright too.
I think these two are related. The light is probably so bright that it not only saturates the red or green sensors, but is also detected by the other sensors (imperfect filtering).

Likes inquisitivegeek
the camera has filters for the CCD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter). If the red and green do not just happen to exactly match the filters, or if there is filter overlap, the image will appear as "not monochromatic". That is, it will show contents in multiple sensors.

Note that there are also more green sensors than blue or red. Maybe the extra dot is caused by the post processing algorithms. You can try to analyze what happens as you change angles and positions. (it is most likely a reflection, as DrClaude suggested, it could be in the lens array)

Likes inquisitivegeek
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the little green dot artifact, it is still there if I try taking it from a different position; see second attached photo. The camera is an in-built camera on the laptop (driver is that of a USB camera).

So, if I understand your explanations correctly, an imperfect filter is a filter that does not entirely reduce the spectral transmittance of other wavelengths intended to be filtered, to zero. Hence for the red or green laser, some light is detected by the green/blue or red/blue pixels, and the interpolation algorithm interpolates this to be white light.

Maybe these are silly questions, but: clearly any real-life scene is a juxtaposition of different color wavelengths + intensities. How can any digital, 2D color image represent different intensities of monochromatic light? How does the human eye represent different intensities of monochromatic light? We clearly have a concept in our brain of a bright or dim color.

If you wanted to take a picture of a monochromatic laser dot, and wanted it to display the dot as:
1. Monochromatic
2. Without any white-sections

How would you do it?

Thanks for all your input!

Cheers,
J.

Attachments

• two_dots_b.png
    two_dots_b.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 544
Reduce the exposure/brightness so the center of the dot isn't blown-out.

Advanced industrial cameras have sensors for each color. For example, take three CCDs each with a different color filter. On some systems multiple exposures are made on a single sensor, each with a different filter (like Mars rover, satellites, etc.)

All filters have "bandwidth" and multiple filters will overlap. The odds of a filter's center frequency exactly matching your laser is small unless you specify it to be such.

If you want a monochromatic picture, use a monochromatic sensor. Take a B/W picture and edit it to be green.

You are also seeing dispersion for various reasons.

As for the dot, you need to examine how its position moves as the camera angle changes.

Related to Color images of red/green lasers

1. How do red and green lasers produce different colors?

The color of a laser is determined by the wavelength of light it emits. Red lasers have a longer wavelength (around 650nm) and green lasers have a shorter wavelength (around 532nm). This difference in wavelength leads to the perception of different colors.

2. Can red and green lasers be combined to create other colors?

Yes, red and green lasers can be combined to create other colors such as yellow, orange, and purple. This is because the human eye perceives a mixture of different wavelengths of light as different colors.

3. How are red/green lasers used in scientific research?

Red and green lasers are commonly used in scientific research for various purposes. They can be used in microscopy to excite fluorescent molecules, in spectroscopy to study the properties of materials, and in holography to create three-dimensional images.

4. Are red/green lasers harmful to the human eye?

While direct exposure to a red or green laser can be harmful to the eyes, most commercially available lasers are designed to be safe for use. However, it is important to always follow proper safety precautions and never look directly into a laser beam.

5. How do red/green lasers differ from other types of lasers?

Red and green lasers are both diode lasers, which means they use a semiconductor material to produce light. However, they differ in their wavelengths and the materials used to create the laser beam. Other types of lasers, such as gas lasers, use different mechanisms to produce light.