How Can I Improve My Laser Detection Software for Camera-Equipped Computers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a camera-equipped computer to track a red laser beam reflected off a blank wall and the software used to determine what the laser dot looks like at different lighting levels. It is mentioned that the red value is always higher than green and blue, and this is due to the color of the laser. However, the green value is not always higher than the blue value, as it depends on the wavelength of the laser. The conversation also touches on the use of three sensors in a camera to mimic human color vision and the potential impact of ambient light on the measurements. It is mentioned that the issue was resolved with the use of the laser pointer and a free augmented reality game controlled by it was shared.
X_Art_X
Hi Guys,
I've felt the need to post a few times in 3 yrs, and this is one of them :)
I tried to go back and thank contributors of another thread, but it was locked
(likely because it was resolved, or 3 years old!).

I'm writing for a camera equipped computer, tracking a red laser beam reflected off a blank wall,
and looking to improve a part of it's software that determines what a laser dot looks like
at current lighting levels, compared to the rest of a wall before it can track it.
This is because it does not just look for the brightest camera pixel, which would be easy,
but the centre of the circular object it sees on the wall, of a colour within a tolerance of
the one gained at startup.

The three colour component values of the colour with the highest red value for a particular frame were actually:
R:0.619608 G:0.576471 B:0.533333

Where 1 is the highest possible value for each component.
I find that red is never much higher in the centre of the beam reflected off a white wall,
but red IS always higher than green, and both of them are always higher than blue.

Is this because red is further away from blue than green in a rainbow?
I'm serious.

Science news on Phys.org
X_Art_X said:
I find that red is never much higher in the centre of the beam reflected off a white wall,
but red IS always higher than green, and both of them are always higher than blue.

Is this because red is further away from blue than green in a rainbow?

It's simply because your laser has the color it has. If you had a purple laser, red and blue would be higher than green.

A.T. said:
It's simply because your laser has the color it has. If you had a purple laser, red and blue would be higher than green.

Why is the green value always higher than the blue value?

X_Art_X said:
Not always. It depends on the wavelength of the laser. See picture here:
http://www.philiplaven.com/p19.html

X_Art_X said:
All three sensors have wide bandwidth (sensitivity curve) and they overlap - they are not really simply red green and blue sensors. The Short wavelength sensor is maximally sensitive in the blue region of the spectrum and overlaps the middle wavelength sensor curve but is pretty insensitive to red. Likewise, the long wavelength sensor curve is highest at red, overlaps the central (green) wavelengths but does not see blue. Green peaks in the middle of the optical spectrum but spills over on both sides. It's these wide curves that allow a three sensor camera to mimic human colour vision. This link is a start.
The red laser was producing an output on the 'green' sensor but very little on the blue because of the fact that the 'green' sensor 'sees it' (by design) and the 'blue' one doesn't..

A;so, did you do your measurements in the dark? Under most lit conditions (particularly tungsten light) there's more of the middle and long wavelengths around and not much short. I reckon the ambient light was polluting your measurements and could have been increasing the proportion of green to blue output.

It's easy to test right now, and in the dark at night G & B values are much closer together.
Thanks.

Related to How Can I Improve My Laser Detection Software for Camera-Equipped Computers?

1. What is laser detection?

Laser detection is a method used to detect the presence of lasers in a given area. It involves using specialized equipment to measure the intensity and wavelength of laser light.

2. How does laser detection work?

Laser detection works by using a laser detector that is sensitive to a particular wavelength of light. When a laser beam is present, the detector will produce a signal that can be measured and analyzed.

3. What are the applications of laser detection?

Laser detection has a wide range of applications, including military and defense, industrial processes, environmental monitoring, and scientific research. It is also used in security systems, medical devices, and telecommunications.

4. What are the benefits of using laser detection?

Some of the main benefits of using laser detection include its high sensitivity, accuracy, and speed. It can also be used in remote or hazardous environments and can detect lasers from a long distance.

5. Are there any limitations to laser detection?

While laser detection has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It may not be effective in detecting lasers with low power or at a very short distance. Additionally, it may be affected by external factors such as weather conditions or ambient light.