Can violet lasers trick our eyes into seeing white?

In summary, the conversation discussed the peculiar nature of violet light and how it can be easily mimicked by a combination of red and blue light. The more powerful the violet light, the more it resembles white. The hypothesis was that violet light tricks our eyes by activating not only blue, but also red and green receptors. However, this was proven wrong as the beam of violet light remained violet and did not change through diffuse reflections. The discussion also touched on how our eyes and image sensors in cameras work in perceiving colors and how the intensity of light can affect the perception of color.
Daniel Petka
Violet itself is weird, because it lays at the other side of the spectrum than red, yet it can be easily mimicked with red and blue. The more powerful the violet light, the more it resembles white.

My hypothesis: Violet tricks our eyes by activating not only blue, but also red and... with more power even green receptors.

(Please prove it wrong if its possible)

IMG_9747.JPG

(Photo: middle white just like in reality (actually closer to cyan cause the wall is yellow, no idea why- pure observation- comment if you know y :p))

Observation: I've been playing with (not too powerful) lasers since I was a kid. One thing I noticed, was the unexpected color of the dot's center. It mostly seemed to be white- just like a camera picks it up. The red lasers couldn't achieve it, all I got from fairly powerful pointers (~100mW) was yellow in the middle. The green, however glowed clear white in the center of the dot.
There's more- the violet laser is not bright- even higher powers of 405nm can't outshine cheap green lasers. The dot though fairly change color with increasing power. That means violet laser dot looks kinda white; in a yellow environment almost cyan.

Thanks for reading this nonsense. ;)

I'll be happy if you prove my hypothesis wrong.

Science news on Phys.org
Daniel Petka said:
My hypothesis: Violet tricks our eyes by activating not only blue, but also red and... with more power even green receptors.
Or the light converted to longer wave lengths by the wall.

Daniel Petka said:

(Please prove it wrong if its possible)
Please remember that we do not allow personal speculation (although this is simple enough that it should be addressed fairly quickly). And it is not our job to prove you wrong -- that is not how the PF works.

A.T. said:
Or the light converted to longer wave lengths by the wall.

Nope, the beam Looks violet too!

Daniel Petka said:
Nope, the beam Looks violet too!
If the beam looks violet, while the diffuse reflection looks white, then eventually the spectrum changes on reflection.

A.T. said:
If the beam looks violet, while the diffuse reflection looks white, then eventually the spectrum changes on reflection.

I guess I didn't express myself correctly.
The spectrum does NOT change through diffuse reflections. I checked it twice through a prism. It's still one single wavelength (405nm) that looks white when it's more powerful than usual.

Btw in your approach you forgot something: the beam is violet because it's simply less concentrated than the dot. That's the thing I've been talking about the whole time .

However you're not completely wrong. What you're talking about is fluorescence where high energy light (for example uv, or violet) gets converted to low energy light (green light)

Last edited:
It has to do with how our eyes work. The colours we see are signals from cone cells:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell
287px-Cones_SMJ2_E.svg.png

Image sensors in cameras work similarly.
you can see that each absorption profile is a finite width, so your 405nm laser can actually trigger very small amounts of signal for your green and red (M and L) cone cells. If it is bright enough, all cells' signals are overloaded so you essential clip all the colour signals to the same strength, resulting in the perception of white colour.
Now for red lasers, you can also see that it really doesn't trigger much of any signal for the blue cone cell, probably the reason why you haven't been able to see a white centre.

Thanks wukunlin. I also had this picture in mind. Eventually it's maybe possible that the graph changes with increasing intensity.

Well, it's not really the absorption spectrum that is changing, but the output signal changed because they are hitting their respective maxima, and changing the frequency distribution

1. What causes the color of a laser's center to appear different from the rest of the beam?

The color of a laser's center is determined by the type of laser and the materials used to create it. The center of a laser beam may appear brighter or more intense due to the focal point of the beam, or it may have a different color due to the presence of certain gases or crystals inside the laser.

2. Why do some lasers have a red center while others have a blue or green center?

The color of a laser's center is determined by the wavelength of the light being emitted. Red lasers have a longer wavelength, while blue and green lasers have shorter wavelengths. This is often determined by the materials used to create the laser and the way in which they are excited.

3. Can the color of a laser's center be changed?

Yes, the color of a laser's center can be changed by adjusting the materials or the excitation method used in the laser. This is often done in research and development settings to create lasers with different colors or intensities for specific applications.

4. Why is the color of a laser's center important in scientific experiments?

The color of a laser's center is important in scientific experiments because it can affect the way the laser interacts with different materials. For example, certain wavelengths of light are better suited for cutting or heating materials, while others are better for precise measurements or imaging.

5. Is the color of a laser's center purely aesthetic or does it serve a functional purpose?

The color of a laser's center can serve both aesthetic and functional purposes. While the color can be adjusted for specific applications, the appearance of the laser's center can also be visually appealing and help in distinguishing between different lasers or light sources in a laboratory setting.