Kinematics, One Dimension, Acceleration, 2 objects problem

In summary: Please mark this thread as solved.In summary, the problem involves two balls, A and B, being dropped and thrown from different heights. The question asks for the height at which the two balls will collide, given that they are moving in the same direction and the speed of A is four times that of B. Through calculations using equations of motion, it is determined that the collision occurs at a height equal to the height of the building.
Spoti112

Homework Statement

Ball A is dropped from the top of a building of height h at the same instant that ball B is thrown vertically upward from the ground. At what height will the balls collide if the collision occurs when the balls are moving in the same direction and the speed of A is 4 times that of B.

VA0 = 0 - the internal speed of ball A.
h=h; a=g;
tc - the time when the balls collide.
VA(tc)=4*VB(tc)

Homework Equations

[/B]
v = v(initial) +at
x = x(initial) + v(initial)t + (at^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

XA(tc)=XB(tc)=hc (height whenn the balls collide)

XA(tc)= h-(g*(tc)2)/2

XB(tc)= XB(tb) - XB(tb→tc)=
=VBO - (g*(tb)2)/2 - (g*(tc-tb)2)/2=
=VBO - (g*(tb)2) - (g*(tc)2)/2 + g*tc*tb
V(tb)=0 ⇒VB0=g*tb⇒
⇒XB(tc)=g*tc*tb - (g*(tc)2)/2

XA(tc)=XB(tc)= h=g*tc*tb

VA(tc)=4*VB(tc) ⇒ -g*tc = -g*(tc-tb) ⇒ 3tc= 4tb →witch is impossible!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

I think I follow your work up to the following
Spoti112 said:
XB(tc)= XB(tb) - XB(tb→tc)=
=VBO - (g*(tb)2)/2 - (g*(tc-tb)2)/2=
I'm guessing that tb denotes the time at which B reaches maximum height. So, you are breaking up B's flight into two parts: the upward moving part and the downward moving part. It's not wrong to do this, but there is no need to break it up. The acceleration of B is constant throughout its entire flight. So, you can use the equation XB = VB0t - (g/2)t2 for the entire interval from t = 0 to t = tc.

The mistake you made is in the second line quoted above where VBO should be multiplied by a time.

Likes Spoti112
TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

I'm guessing that tb denotes the time at which B reaches maximum height. So, you are breaking up B's flight into two parts: the upward moving part and the downward moving part. It's not wrong to do this, but there is no need to break it up. The acceleration of B is constant throughout its entire flight. So, you can use the equation XB = VB0t - (g/2)t2 for the entire interval from t = 0 to t = tc.

The mistake you made is in the second line quoted above where VBO should be multiplied by a time.
TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

thank you very much! I got the correct answer. <3
p.s. sorry that i didn't clarified what tb means

OK. Good work.

Related to Kinematics, One Dimension, Acceleration, 2 objects problem

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What does "one dimension" refer to in kinematics?

In kinematics, one dimension refers to the measurement of motion along a single straight line. This means that the motion is only considered in one direction, either forward or backward.

3. How is acceleration defined in kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. What is the "2 objects problem" in kinematics?

The "2 objects problem" in kinematics refers to a scenario where two objects are moving in the same direction, either towards or away from each other, and their motion is being studied and compared.

5. How is acceleration calculated in a "2 objects problem"?

In a "2 objects problem", the acceleration of each object can be calculated by dividing the change in its velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. This allows for a comparison of the acceleration of the two objects.