Collection of Favorite Movie Phrases

• Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, these three phrases are: - "Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind."- "‘Mankind.’ That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom … Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution … but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist."- "We're going to
fresh_42 said:
... and another one I haven't thought of ...
I think genres is the next step. Best film is very tricky.

Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
The good the bad and the ugly didn't make my top 20 and although there are some great lines it is the music that stands out.
Please allow this very slight digression.
'Blondie, you know what you are? Just a dirty son of a...'

I don't wish to know that! :oldbiggrin: Knowing how it is done spoils it for me. :oldmad::oldruck:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think genres
epenguin said:
I don't wish to know that! Knowing how it is done spoils it for me. :oldmad::oldruck:
What!? You are all STEM guys! The very essence of STEM is to find out how things work surely?
The wawawhhh I think is a guy doing falsetto not a woman.
The piano for the duel is actually played on guitar but not a regular one. It has a banjo twang to it.
Also the soprano that accompanies this ( beautiful tone and I don't like warbler opera) is played on a trumpet, possibly piccolo.
I could be wrong on details so mystery restored.
After watching the video several times I decided I need to see these guys, they do all sorts of really cool stuff.

pinball1970 said:
I think genres
What!? You are all STEM guys! The very essence of STEM is to find out how things work surely?

but then there is "the willing suspension of disbelief". I will try and forget this.
Because a bit ot spoilt a lot of films for me since I visited a studio and found out how they… nah, it wouldn't do you any good to know.

pinball1970 said:
You are all STEM guys! The very essence of STEM is to find out how things work surely?
That is the main reason I do not understand how anybody of today is so fascinated by an eclipse as they seemingly are. I understand why our ancestors have been, but since we know it is a simple shadow, these people must go nuts on a sunny day with all those shadows around!

Likes sysprog and davenn
DennisN said:
There are many good quotes from movies, but I want to take the opportunity to honor one of the kings of funny one-liners, Arnold Schwarzenegger
I just stumbled on this new clip with Arnold and Linda Hamilton, it was with quotes and it's funny :smile::

Likes pinball1970
“You may be lost, but you are not forgotten. For those who have traveled far to fight in foreign lands, know that the soldier’s greatest comfort is to have his friends close at hand. In the heat of battle it ceases to be an idea for which we fight, or a flag. Rather, we fight for the man on our left and we fight for the man on our right. And when armies have scattered and when the empires fall away, all that remains is the memories of those precious moments that we spent side by side.”
- The Four Feathers

Just reminded of this one -
"Are you a mod or a rocker?"
"I'm a mocker."

Likes pinball1970
sandy stone said:
Just reminded of this one -
"Are you a mod or a rocker?"
"I'm a mocker."
Was that George in an interview?

pinball1970 said:
Was that George in an interview?
If it wasn't, it should have been.

Likes pinball1970
Bystander said:
If it wasn't, it should have been.
A quick Google
It was Ringo from 'Hard day's night.'

fresh_42 said:
That is the main reason I do not understand how anybody of today is so fascinated by an eclipse as they seemingly are. I understand why our ancestors have been, but since we know it is a simple shadow, these people must go nuts on a sunny day with all those shadows around!
I have seen one, or rather I was in one. It was very strange, besides being dark on a summer's day all the animals freaked out then went silent. Lake Balaton Hungary.

Star Wars - A new hope

"That's no moon, it's a space station"

Likes BillTre
moon

fresh_42 said:
... and another one I haven't thought of ...
Interstellar too, the music is great and the idea is pretty original I think.
Also there is a film called 'Frequency' with Denis Quaid which is interesting and should be considered for my top 20.
Anyway movie quotes.
The scene:
A guy (not the smartest) falls for a girl and thinks the way to her heart is to buy her the breast enlargement surgery she wants.
The way to fund that is to extort money from an FBI agent who accidentally left a classified file in the gym.
He arranges to meet the agent, Osborne Cox, in his car to do the deal..
The line I like begins, 'you think that bi..'

Last edited:
One of my old favourites ... From Apocalypse Now

" I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

Likes Klystron and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
A quick Google
I meant "Carlin."

Likes pinball1970
Bystander said:
I meant "Carlin."
Yeah he was great too, UK George is George Harrison.

pinball1970 said:
Yeah he was great too, UK George is George Harrison.
Then George Carlison is a mocker. Or a rod.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Hey! Did you see a real... bright...light?

'When the Jews return to Zion
And comet crosses the sky
When the holy Roman empire rises
Then you and I must die
From the eternal sea he rises
Creating armies on either shore
Turning man against his brother
Till man exists no more.'

How about this, from Dumb & Dumber?

That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Austria.

Austria! Well, then. G'day mate! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

• Haha
Likes DennisN
"All but one man died
There at Bitter Creek.
And they say he ran away...
Branded!"

From "Branded", a Western staring Chuck Connors ("The Rifleman", the bodyguard in "Soylent Green") also featured in a "Seinfeld" episode.

"Soylent green is ... People!"

Likes OCR
Klystron said:
"Soylent green is ... People!"
From the YouTube comments section. . 🤔"How does it taste?"

"Varies person to person."

Lol. . . .🤦‍♂️

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and Klystron
DennisN said:
kings of funny one-liners, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Some famous Arnie quotes:
"I lied."---Commando

Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Watts: Back off! You don't know the components!
Lev Andropov: [annoyed] Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!

Bystander said:
"I lied."---Commando

Sully!

He was also the evil gang leader in the Warriors, "Warriors come out to plaaaaayeeee!"

"Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

--Mae West

To Steve Buscemi's character straddling a missile like its a rodeo:

Get off... the nuclear... war head.

Or:
You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

Don Juan : There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love.

Likes mathwonk, WhatIsGravity and Klystron
Anybody want a peanut?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Quit rhyming, I mean it.
I could have killed you.
I believe you.
True Love.
You killed my father, prepare to die.

Oh God! Sometimes the Green Mile seems so long.