Colleague getting married, what should I get him?

• Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about receiving an invitation to a colleague's wedding through work email. The person was not friends with the individual but had worked with them. They were wondering if they should get a gift for the wedding and if so, something inexpensive since it was short notice. The suggestion was to check for a gift registry and choose a gift from there. It was also mentioned that usually people give a gift worth the cost of the dinner for their party, which is usually between $50 to $75 for friends and coworkers. The conversation also mentioned giving the groom a tool as a gift, such as a battery operated Dremel tool, which costs around $90 at Home Depot. More information and suggestions can be found through a Google
CivilSigma
I just received an invite to a colleague's wedding tomorrow (through work email) in attempt for my team to be supportive of him.

I am not friends with this individual but have worked with him.
If I do show up, what is something inexpensive that I can get on such short notice? or should I get anything at all??

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes CivilSigma
Usually in my experience the bride makes out like a bandit.
So I often give the groom some sort of tool - an upscale electric drill or a fine Disston handsaw for the upcoming "Honey - Do " list .

17042_0370-20.jpg
d8panel1.jpg

old jim

Attachments

• 17042_0370-20.jpg
    17042_0370-20.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 305
  • d8panel1.jpg
    d8panel1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 353
Likes jedishrfu and CivilSigma
A battery operated Dremel tool would work. It’s about $90 at Home Depot.

Related to Colleague getting married, what should I get him?

1. What is an appropriate gift for a colleague who is getting married?

It ultimately depends on your relationship with your colleague and your budget. You could consider getting a gift that is related to their interests or hobbies, or something that they can use in their new life with their spouse. Alternatively, you could consider contributing to a group gift or giving a gift card.

2. Should I attend my colleague's wedding if I am invited?

If you are invited to your colleague's wedding, it is generally expected that you attend. It is a kind gesture to show your support for their new chapter in life. However, if you are unable to attend due to prior commitments or distance, it is acceptable to politely decline the invitation.

3. Is it appropriate to give cash as a wedding gift to a colleague?

It is generally considered acceptable to give cash as a wedding gift to a colleague. However, you may want to consider giving a personal gift or gift card instead if you know your colleague well and want to make a more meaningful gesture.

4. How much should I spend on a wedding gift for a colleague?

The amount you spend on a wedding gift for a colleague should depend on your budget and your relationship with them. It is not necessary to spend a large amount of money, but it is important to give a thoughtful and meaningful gift that shows your support and congratulations.

5. Should I get a gift for both my colleague and their spouse?

If your colleague is getting married, it is polite to get a gift for both them and their spouse. This shows that you are acknowledging both of them and their new life together. However, if you are on a tight budget, it is acceptable to give a gift to just your colleague and offer your congratulations to their spouse separately.