Sites that have images of diatoms

• Thread starter Aquafire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, the conversation is about a request for links to websites with images of diatoms and other microfossils. The person who asked for the links is interested in diatoms because they find them fascinating and a source of creative inspiration for their art. They also admire their intricate shapes and beauty. The conversation also includes a brief mention of the possibility of moving the topic to a different forum and a typo that was made in one of the responses.
Aquafire
Can anyone provide me with links to sites that have images of diatoms.?

I also would love to see images of other microfossils.

Thankyou

Aqua

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
Why this interest for diatoms? I almost moved this thread to Chemistry :P

Dioatoms are màfacinatiung microorganis in terms of their shapes and cell wall.

Originally posted by iansmith
Dioatoms are màfacinatiung microorganis
They are WHAT?

fascinating microorganism.

My keyboard must of went awire. Maybe I should reread my post.

Originally posted by Monique

Why this interest for diatoms?

Well, apart from my deep appreciation of nature, I am a painter, and from my perspective, they are amongst the most beautiful organisms you could ever imagine.

They seem to have more in common with futuristic designs for buildings and spacecraft than anything merely terrestial.

I for one am awed by their beauty and at a scale that seems far too small to encompass such intricate shapes.

Nature is very much a constant source of surprise and creative inspiration.

Last edited:

1. What are diatoms?

Diatoms are single-celled algae that are found in various aquatic environments such as oceans, lakes, and rivers. They are known for their unique cell walls made of silica, which give them a glass-like appearance.

2. Why are diatoms important?

Diatoms play a crucial role in the ecosystem as they are responsible for a large portion of the Earth's oxygen production. They also serve as food for many aquatic organisms and are used in various industrial and scientific applications.

3. What types of images can be found on these sites?

Sites that have images of diatoms typically feature microscopic images of diatom cells, their intricate structures, and their diverse shapes and sizes. Some sites may also include images of diatom colonies or diatom fossils.

4. How can these images be used in scientific research?

Diatom images can be used in various fields of scientific research, such as ecology, geology, and bioengineering. They can provide valuable information about the health of aquatic ecosystems, the history of the environment, and the potential applications of diatoms in biotechnology.

5. Are there any copyright restrictions for using diatom images?

It is important to check the copyright and usage permissions of diatom images before using them for any purpose. Some images may be freely available for non-commercial use, while others may require permission or licensing from the owner.