Content based medical image retrieval using barcodes

In summary, the speaker is conducting research on content-based medical image retrieval using radon barcodes. They have replicated an approach from a specific paper and have made some improvements to the barcode formation technique. They are seeking information on standard preprocessing for x-ray images, isolating and reconstructing sinograms from radon transform, optimal techniques for forming barcodes and comparing binary vectors, and how x-ray images are stored in hospital databases. They have an engineering background but are new to medical image processing.
Raazi
Hi,

I am doing research in content based image medical image retrieval using radon barcodes. I have replicated an approach found in this paper 277011226_Barcode_Annotations_for_Medical_Image_Retrieval_A_Preliminary_Investigation. I have tried to make some improvements to this process regarding the barcode formation technique. However I wanted to ask if anyone knows the answers to or resources relating to:
a.) Standard preprocessing process for x-ray images, for retrieval tasks?
b.) Is there a process for isolating and reconstructing sinograms from the radon transform of an image. (Ie identifying segments of an image from their corresponding sinograms)?
c.) Is there an optimal technique for forming barcodes from component data blocks?
d.) Is there an optimal technique for comparing two binary vectors to one another? (Hamming distance?)
e.) How x-ray imahes are typically stored in hospital databases? (Imclef?)

I have a engineering background but am new to medical image processing and retrieval so any relevant information would be appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org

What is "Content based medical image retrieval using barcodes"?

"Content based medical image retrieval using barcodes" is a method of searching for medical images by using barcodes as the search query. This allows for faster and more accurate retrieval of relevant images based on their visual content.

How does "Content based medical image retrieval using barcodes" work?

This method works by converting the visual features of a medical image into a barcode representation. These barcodes are then used as the search query to compare against a database of images, and the most visually similar images are retrieved as results.

What are the benefits of using barcodes for medical image retrieval?

Using barcodes for medical image retrieval offers several benefits, including faster search times, increased accuracy in retrieval, and the ability to search for images based on their visual content rather than relying on text-based tags or labels.

Are there any limitations to "Content based medical image retrieval using barcodes"?

One limitation of this method is that it relies heavily on the quality of the barcode representation of the image. If the barcode does not accurately represent the visual features of the image, it may not be retrieved as a relevant result. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for images with complex or abstract features.

How can "Content based medical image retrieval using barcodes" be applied in the medical field?

This method can be applied in various areas of the medical field, such as clinical decision making, medical education, and research. It can help doctors and researchers quickly find relevant images for diagnosis, treatment planning, and academic studies.