Classical Limit formula for differential cross section for Hard Sphere

In summary, you are looking for the derivation to an approximation formula for the differential cross section for hard sphere scattering in the limit of high energy. The paper that mentioned this had referred to Methods of Theoretical Physics, PM Morse and H. Feshbach page 1484 but you have no access to the text. Can somebody please help you out?
aim1732
I am looking for the derivation to an approximation formula for the differential cross section for hard sphere scattering in the limit of high energy. The paper that mentioned this had referred to Methods of Theoretical Physics, PM Morse and H. Feshbach page 1484 but I have no access to the text.Can somebody please help me out?The actual formula has like three special functions in a summation.

Physics news on Phys.org
[Taking my copy of Morse and Feshbach from beneath its helium-filled bell jar...]

Page 1484 is devoted to showing that the total cross section approximates 2πa2. Then on p 1485 it says, "Later in this chapter we shall show that when ka is very large, the scattered intensity becomes S = a2/4r2 + (a2/4r2)cot2(θ/2) J12(ka sin θ). The first term of this is the reflected wave, with uniform distribution in all directions... The second term corresponds to the shadow-forming wave..."

Is this getting close?

Likes 1 person
Thank you but you know I already have the result.I do not know how to get there however.Yes it is exactly what I am looking for but I think I would require a bit more.

aim1732 said:
Thank you but you know I already have the result.I do not know how to get there however.Yes it is exactly what I am looking for but I think I would require a bit more.
Please try to make it clear from the outset what it is you have and what it is you want. You said it involved "three special functions in a summation." There is nothing on p 1484 like that. The formula I quoted is derived much later in the chapter, using Green's functions and steepest descent, but I see no point in pursuing it only to be told you have it already.

Bill_K said:
[Taking my copy of Morse and Feshbach from beneath its helium-filled bell jar...]

I got mine when the library of the Helmholtz Zentrum "modernized" their library and everyone could take books no longer wanted for free before the rest got binned. It is quite sad what has become of a formerly reknowned organization.

What? They through out Morse/Feshbach? I'm shocked. Also GSI has no library anymore. Fortunately my colleagues there saved the theory books for their hand library in the theory department.

Please try to make it clear from the outset what it is you have and what it is you want. You said it involved "three special functions in a summation." There is nothing on p 1484 like that. The formula I quoted is derived much later in the chapter, using Green's functions and steepest descent, but I see no point in pursuing it only to be told you have it already.

Well I am extremely sorry if you got me wrong.I am actually reading this paper that scoops this result out of Morse Feshbach and I had no means to see how the result was arrived at.I said it involves summation of three special functions because that is how I thought it should be done.If I had seen or read the book before there would have been little point for this thread but I have no idea how the result is arrived at in the text.All I have is this reference in the paper.

I am sorry if you feel offended or something.I am just a greenhorn undergrad doing a project that involves this kind of grad level stuff.I am quite overwhelmed by the mathematics so please excuse me for this.

Related to Classical Limit formula for differential cross section for Hard Sphere

1. What is the Classical Limit formula for differential cross section for Hard Sphere?

The Classical Limit formula for differential cross section for Hard Sphere is a mathematical expression that describes the probability of a particle being scattered by a hard sphere target, based on its impact parameter and the size of the target.

2. How is the Classical Limit formula derived?

The Classical Limit formula is derived by solving the equations of motion for a particle interacting with a hard sphere potential. This results in an expression for the differential cross section that takes into account the impact parameter and the size of the target.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Classical Limit formula?

The main assumptions made in the Classical Limit formula are that the particle and the target are both classical, non-relativistic, and interact through a hard sphere potential. Additionally, the impact parameter is assumed to be much larger than the size of the target.

4. How does the Classical Limit formula compare to experimental results?

The Classical Limit formula is a simplified model that does not account for quantum effects or the internal structure of the target. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the exact results of experiments. However, it can provide a good approximation in certain cases, such as when the target is significantly larger than the particle.

5. Can the Classical Limit formula be applied to other types of interactions?

The Classical Limit formula is specifically derived for the scattering of a particle by a hard sphere target. However, similar principles can be applied to other types of interactions, such as the scattering of particles by other types of potentials. Modifications may need to be made to the formula to account for different types of interactions.