Classical Eletrodynamics, Jackson

In summary, the book is difficult, but very comprehensive. The problems can be tough, but the rewards are worth it.
Andreol263
I've started reading the book on the title, but exists so fuzz here about this book and it's scared me a bit, I'm in the middle of chapter 2 right now, and nothing difficult appeared to me in this moment, what are the requeriments to read this book smothly until the end?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been told the mathematics in Jackson is sadistic.

Have you started doing the end-of-chapter exercises yet?

No..

If you're not doing any exercises you're not going to build any real understanding of the material.

It's because i haven't finished the chapter 2 yet, but i will do the exercises, chapter 1 it's only the derivation of basic concepts of eletrostatics, there's nothing new in that, i have studied Griffith book...

Problems involving even old concepts can provide opportunities to improve your understanding. Also just because you think you can "see" your way to a solution does mean that you can solve the problem for some problems are wrought with conceptual traps and complexities that will thwart your efforts. At this stage in the development of a subject the problem sets should not be simply a mere repetition of the concepts of the text. Use the athletes routine of "warming up" before you do the heavy lifting.

Jackson's book is very good and quite comprehensive. For my taste, I'd start much earlier with a fully relativistic treatment and I'd recommend the 2nd edition, because it's written fully in the good old CGS units (unfortunately in the Gaussian and not in modern rationalized Heaviside-Lorentz units, but it's better than SI in any case, because SI units destroy the elegance and inner logic of the theory unnecessarily).

The problems are tough, but solving tough problems adds a lot to your understanding of the subject. Only don't get discouraged too soon. As I said, the problems are tough!

Yeah, i agree, but sometimes the book can go quite abstract in explanation, with huge logic jumbs between the equations,but nothing impossible at the moment and the subjects in the book appears to be quite cool too, with some introduction to QED and Solid State.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Classical Eletrodynamics, Jackson

1. What is Classical Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. It is based on the fundamental principles of electromagnetism laid out by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

2. Who is Jackson, and what is his contribution to Classical Electrodynamics?

John David Jackson was an American theoretical physicist and professor who wrote the widely-used textbook "Classical Electrodynamics" in 1962. His book is considered a classic in the field and is still used by many scientists and students today.

3. What are the main equations used in Classical Electrodynamics?

The main equations used in Classical Electrodynamics are Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationships between electric and magnetic fields, and how they are affected by charges and currents. These equations include Gauss's law, Faraday's law, Ampere's law, and the continuity equation.

4. How is Classical Electrodynamics different from Quantum Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics is based on classical physics principles and describes the behavior of electric and magnetic fields at a macroscopic level. Quantum Electrodynamics, on the other hand, incorporates quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of electromagnetic fields at a subatomic level. It is a more complete and accurate theory, but it is more complex and difficult to understand.

5. What are some practical applications of Classical Electrodynamics?

Classical Electrodynamics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as radio, television, and computers. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and optics. Additionally, the principles of Classical Electrodynamics are important for understanding and studying electromagnetic phenomena in nature, such as lightning and the Earth's magnetic field.