Choose the Right Physics Major for You

In summary, there are three choices for physics major at the school you are applying for: Physics Applied, Physics General, and Physics Secondary Teacher Education. The latter option is geared towards becoming a high school teacher, while the other two are science degrees for academia or industry. It is recommended to look at the required courses for each option to determine which best fits your goals and preferences. It is also advisable to contact the department for clarification on which program will qualify you for entry to graduate school. Generally, keeping your undergraduate work more general will leave more options open for your future.
Eco
I am currently in High school looking for colleges to apply for. I want to have a physics major, but the one school I am applying for right now as 3 choices for physics. I am just wondering which one to choose.

Physics, Applied
Physics: General Physics
Physics: Secondary Teacher Education

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It depends on what you want to do. The last one, Physics Secondary Teacher Education, is to train one to be a high school teacher, and likely includes required teacher certification classes.

The other two are science degrees for those who are heading towards academia or industry, and if I had to offer a guess, the one having a slant to engineering/industrial type things would be the Applied Physics, and the academic one would be General Physics. However, either of these degrees can let one go either way, so it is more a matter of preference. You should look at the course list and see what classes are required for each to verify this.

I might add that you should really look at the courses required for each track. It's difficult to compare based on title alone. In some schools the teacher option might be the same as the other two with some additional education courses that would qualify you to teach at the secondary school level. In other programs it might be watered down, and essentially be an education degree with the equivalent of a minor in physics - something that would not be sufficient to get into graduate school.

In either case, it's likely that the first year is common between the three, and switching between the programs will be relatively easy once you have some university experience.

You might want to contact the department for clarification and specifically ask which of the programs qualify one for entry to graduate school.

As a general rule, staying general for undergraduate work keeps the most doors open.

Alright, thanks for the help. I found exactly what the classes are going to be and it seems like the general one is best fit for me.

Related to Choose the Right Physics Major for You

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a physics major?

When choosing a physics major, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, strengths and weaknesses, and the curriculum and research opportunities offered by different universities.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, and finance. They can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and technology.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to pursue a physics major?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in a physics major, as mathematics is the language of physics. However, universities offer introductory math courses for students who may not have a strong background in the subject.

4. How can I determine if a physics major is right for me?

If you have a strong interest in the natural world and a curiosity about how things work, a physics major may be a good fit for you. You can also explore introductory physics courses, talk to current physics majors, and attend career fairs to learn more about the field.

5. What skills can I develop through a physics major?

A physics major can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. You will also learn how to conduct research, work with complex data, and communicate scientific ideas effectively.