Checking the divergence of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the divergence theorem to check a vector function expressed in spherical coordinates. The volume used is a hemisphere of unit radius above the xy-plane. The right-hand side of the theorem is simpler and can be calculated easily. However, the left-hand side is more complicated and requires finding the divergence of the vector function. The attempt at a solution involved integrating over the boundary surface, but the final answer did not match the expected result. Further help was requested to resolve the issue.
chi-young

Homework Statement

Check the divergence theorem using the vector function V = r^2 [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + sin(θ) [itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] which is expressed in spherical coordinates. For the volume use a hemisphere of unit radius above the xy-plane (see figure below) (picture not shown, but I integrated r: 0 to 1, theta: 0 to pi/2, and phi 0 to 2pi)

Homework Equations

∫(Div V) d[itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\oint V da[/itex]
(Divergence Theorem)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the RHS first because it's simpler. given da = R^2 sin(θ) dθ dψ [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and R = 1
[itex]\oint V da[/itex] → ∫sinθd from 0 to pi/2 * ∫dψ from 0 to 2pi, which is of course, 2pi.

I assume that because of it's simplicity, this side must absolutely be correct. Unfortunately, the LHS is much harder.

First I find Div V = 4r + 2cos(θ)/r, then I use d[itex]\tau[/itex] = r^2 * sinθ dr dθ dψ
to obtain ∫ ( 4r + 2cos(θ)/r ) * r^2 * sinθ dr dθ dψ.

Next I integrate with respect to r, 0 to 1, to get sinθ (cos+1) dθ dψ. This is where it gets weird.

I integrate theta from 0 to pi/2 but I get 3/2. Since phi is from 0 to 2pi, and there are 0 phi terms, the answer must be 3pi. But this does not equal the LHS, which must be correct!

I have been doing this for a couple of hours and I cannot think of a problem. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're integrating over the entire boundary surface? Perhaps you're forgetting something...

Likes 1 person
Done, thanks. =)

Related to Checking the divergence of a function

1. What does it mean to "check the divergence" of a function?

Checking the divergence of a function refers to determining whether the function approaches infinity or negative infinity as the input values approach a certain point or as the number of input values increases.

2. Why is it important to check the divergence of a function?

Checking the divergence of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and whether it will continue to increase or decrease without bound. This information is crucial in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How can you check the divergence of a function?

The most common method for checking the divergence of a function is by using limits. Specifically, we can take the limit as the input values approach a particular point or as the number of input values increases. If the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity, then the function is said to diverge.

4. Can a function have both positive and negative divergence?

Yes, a function can have both positive and negative divergence. This means that the function approaches positive infinity for some inputs and negative infinity for others. An example of this is the function f(x) = x^2 - 1, which has positive divergence for x > 1 and negative divergence for x < 1.

5. Are there any other methods for checking the divergence of a function?

Yes, there are other methods for checking the divergence of a function, such as using the Ratio Test or the Root Test. These methods are commonly used in calculus and can be more efficient for certain types of functions. However, the limit method is the most widely used and easiest to understand for most functions.