Checking Speed and Velocity Problems

In summary, it is suggested to check the calculations for problems 2 and 3, as rounding down too soon may result in incorrect answers.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

I have four separate problems.

1.A certain boat cruises at 32 km/h. How long does it take the boat to travel 25 kilometers?

2. A person runs at a speed of 8.0 mi/h for 140 minutes. How far does the person travel?

3. A man is at sea on a raft, adrift on the ocean current. The current carries him 51 miles in 3 days. At this speed, how long would it take him to travel 400 miles?

4. A man competing in a bicycle race travels 57 km in 3.0 hours. If he maintains this average speed, how far will he go in 8.0 hours?

Homework Equations

T=x/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered all of them, but would like to check them one more time before I turn them in. Here are my answers:

1. 47 minutes.
2. 18 miles.
3. 23 days.
4. 152 km.

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

I have four separate problems.

1.A certain boat cruises at 32 km/h. How long does it take the boat to travel 25 kilometers?

2. A person runs at a speed of 8.0 mi/h for 140 minutes. How far does the person travel?

3. A man is at sea on a raft, adrift on the ocean current. The current carries him 51 miles in 3 days. At this speed, how long would it take him to travel 400 miles?

4. A man competing in a bicycle race travels 57 km in 3.0 hours. If he maintains this average speed, how far will he go in 8.0 hours?

Homework Equations

T=x/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I have answered all of them, but would like to check them one more time before I turn them in. Here are my answers:

1. 47 minutes.
2. 18 miles.
3. 23 days.
4. 152 km.

You appear to be rounding down too soon in 2 and 3. Other than that, your calculations are correct.

AM

Likes 1 person
Thank you! So your suggestion is that I should go back to where I divided and round up?

Related to Checking Speed and Velocity Problems

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction. In other words, speed is a scalar quantity while velocity is a vector quantity.

2. How do I calculate speed and velocity?

To calculate speed, divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. Velocity, on the other hand, is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the time it took to make that displacement.

3. What are the units of speed and velocity?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second or miles per hour. Velocity is measured in the same units, but must also include the direction of motion, such as 30 m/s north or 20 miles per hour east.

4. Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity if it is changing direction. For example, if a car is driving in a circular motion at a constant speed, its velocity is constantly changing because the direction of its motion is constantly changing.

5. How do speed and velocity affect each other?

Speed and velocity are related but different concepts. Velocity takes into account the direction of motion, so an object with a constant speed but changing direction will have a changing velocity. On the other hand, an object with a constant velocity will have a constant speed in a specific direction.