Solving Speed of a Truck Problem - Calculating Time to Brake

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the time it takes for a truck to slow down from 180 km/h to 80 km/h. The equation u=v-at is used, but the result is incorrect. Upon further inspection, it is discovered that the conversion from km/h to m/s was done incorrectly, and the correct value for v is 120 km/h.
Perry
(mentor note) post moved here from non-homework thread hence no template.

A truck is traveling at a v=180 km/h speed on a straight road. At some point, the driver sees a police car and hits the brakes. If his average deceleration is a=-4m/s^2, how long will it take for its speed to go down to 80 km/h?

So, i converted the units to m/s and used the equation u=v-at to find the time, but the result was wrong. What am i missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible for us to know since you did not bother to show any work (which is against forum rules).

Right, sorry. Okay so v=180km/h is 33.33 m/s and u=80 km/h is 22.2 m/s. If I plug these numbers into the formula, along with a=-4m/s^2, i get t=2,775 sec. The correct answer is apparently 1.66 sec. I don't know what i am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Perry said:
Right, sorry. Okay so v=180km/h is 33.33 m/s and u=80 km/h is 22.2 m/s. If I plug these numbers into the formula, along with a=-4m/s^2, i get t=2,775 sec. The correct answer is apparently 1.66 sec. I don't know what i am doing wrong.
Well, just as a quick check, it jumps out at you that 180/80 is not the same as 33.3/22.2 (or, if you prefer, 180/33.33 is not the same as 80/22.2). What does that tell you?

phinds said:
Well, just as a quick check, it jumps out at you that 180/80 is not the same as 33.3/22.2 (or, if you prefer, 180/33.33 is not the same as 80/22.2). What does that tell you?

Right, so apparently, i converted 180 km/h wrong. It's actually 50 m/s, not 33.3 m/s.
I made another mistake. It's v=120 km/h, not 180.

Hi Perry, just for info.. Homework or homework like questions should go in that section. The moderators might move your thread there.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a truck?

To calculate the speed of a truck, you need to know the distance it has traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is distance divided by time. For example, if a truck travels 100 miles in 2 hours, its speed would be 50 miles per hour.

2. What is the formula for calculating time to brake for a truck?

The formula for calculating time to brake for a truck is the distance divided by the speed. This will give you the time it takes for the truck to come to a complete stop. For example, if a truck is traveling at 60 miles per hour and needs to stop in 300 feet, the time to brake would be 5 seconds.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a truck?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a truck, including the weight of the truck and its cargo, the condition of the road, weather conditions, and the skill of the driver. These factors can impact the truck's ability to accelerate and brake efficiently.

4. How do you calculate the braking distance for a truck?

The braking distance for a truck can be calculated by multiplying the speed of the truck by its reaction time and adding that to the distance the truck travels while braking. The formula is (speed x reaction time) + (speed x speed / (2 x braking deceleration)). This calculation takes into account the time it takes for the truck to react to the need to brake and the distance it travels while braking.

5. Why is it important to calculate the time to brake for a truck?

Calculating the time to brake for a truck is important for safety reasons. It allows the driver to anticipate and plan for stopping distances, which is crucial for avoiding accidents. It also helps to ensure that the truck is able to stop within a safe distance and avoid collisions or other road hazards.