Changing the order of integration for a triple integral?

In summary, the conversation is about changing the order of integration for a triple integral, specifically from dzdydx to dxdydz. The person is struggling to visualize the region of integration and is seeking help on how to properly change the order.
SMA_01

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{x}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{y}_{0}[/itex] f(x,y,z)dzdydx

I need to write it in terms of dxdydz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to draw the 3D representation. I don't really know how to change the order, I don't recall my teacher even showing us this. :confused: I know how to change the order of integration for double integrals, but not this. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{x}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{y}_{0}[/itex] f(x,y,z)dzdydx

I need to write it in terms of dxdydz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to draw the 3D representation. I don't really know how to change the order, I don't recall my teacher even showing us this. :confused: I know how to change the order of integration for double integrals, but not this. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you started by sketching the region of integration (not the integrand). The region as described in your first iterated integral is:
0 <= z <= y
0 <= y <= x
0 <= x <= 1
Each of these inequalities describes two boundary planes. If you rewrite your integral with a different order of integration, you'll need to come up with a different description for the same region.

Related to Changing the order of integration for a triple integral?

1. How do I determine the new limits of integration when changing the order of a triple integral?

When changing the order of integration for a triple integral, it is important to visualize the region of integration and determine the order in which the variables are being integrated. Then, the new limits of integration can be determined by considering the range of values for each variable in the new order.

2. Can the order of integration for a triple integral be changed for any region of integration?

No, the order of integration for a triple integral can only be changed for certain regions of integration, specifically for regions that can be described by both rectangular and cylindrical coordinates. Regions that can only be described by spherical coordinates cannot have their order of integration changed.

3. What are the benefits of changing the order of integration for a triple integral?

Changing the order of integration can make the evaluation of a triple integral easier and more efficient. It may also allow for the use of different coordinate systems and can help to simplify the integrand.

4. Are there any disadvantages to changing the order of integration for a triple integral?

Changing the order of integration can sometimes be more complicated and involve more steps than evaluating the integral in its original form. It may also be more difficult to visualize the region of integration in the new order.

5. Can the order of integration for a triple integral be changed for indefinite integrals?

No, the order of integration can only be changed for definite integrals. For indefinite integrals, the order of integration is determined by the order of the variables in the integrand.