Changing PhD: Is It the Right Move for Me?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Wiggins84bc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Phd
In summary, the speaker is a graduate student in Europe who is not happy with their PhD situation. They feel isolated socially and are not enjoying their research, which is not as advanced as they had hoped. They initially considered going to the US for a PhD, but ultimately chose their current institute for its reputation. However, they recently came across a blog written by a grad student in the US and realized they are missing out on a broader range of topics. They now regret not choosing a US PhD, but feel it may be too late to switch. The speaker is seeking advice on their situation.
Wiggins84bc
Hi,

I'm currently just over a year into a PhD in Europe. The PhD is 3.5 years in total. I'm not really happy with a lot of aspects of my PhD situation, I haven't really got to know my fellow grad students at all on account of a few different factors over the last year, and that has left me somewhat isolated socially, and feeling awkward at any events like conferences and things we might have to attend together, or even just the weekly seminar etc. I am quite shy and this hasn't helped matters, but nevertheless I'm sure I could do better given a fresh start socially. On another front I'm not particularly enjoying my research, I am a theorist, and all the other students in my group seem to be working on exciting projects that I don't understand fully, things like stringy type physics and really foundational stuff, which is really what I wanted to be doing. I however have ended up doing something that while I guess would be classed as gr-qc on arxiv and is theoretical, doesn't really require much advanced knowledge other than some very basic qft and gen rel and is mostly about big calculations.

I considered going to the US to do a PhD before taking this offer, but only applied to a few places (around 3) because I was also applying to lots in Europe. I only got into one gradschool in the US, and considered my european institute to have a better rep, so ultimately that's why I chose it rather than the project I'd be doing, which now seems quite silly.

I recently stumbled on a blog by a grad theorist at stony brook, documented the courses they were taking and the content of their PhD and it seemed quite a astounding to me the breadth of stuff I was missing out on (http://indexguy.wordpress.com/). I have to struggle to learn QFT from books like Srednicki, and GR from Carroll, with no courses offered on more advanced QFT or supersymmetry, strings etc. So other than self learning if I hopefully get time, I will not be exposed to these topics. It really makes me wish I had gone to do a PhD in the US now were I would of had 2 years of advanced courses first, then hopefully I'd be working on something more foundational at year 3, and plus I would prefer to be living in the US, than in my home country.

I feel however it may be too late to switch like this. I already had two years out before starting this PhD, plus this year and next that would be wasted by the time I hit year one of a US gradschool if I make this years apps means I have spent 4 years effectively doing nothing toward my career (but having said that there are no jobs in academia anyway, so what does it matter?). Also I would have to recontact my 3 undergrad refererees who I think would be quite shocked to hear I'm leaving this PhD and asking them to resubmit all over again for the US, so I'm quite scared of doing that.

So to summarise: I don't feel happy socially or with the content of the research and what I'm actually learning in my current PhD. I would like to live in the US for the experience of living there and I believe the US would give me a better education in theoretical topics than I'm obtaining in this PhD and possibly allow me to work on something I would find more fulfilling. But the negatives are 4 years of my life are 'wasted' in the sense that no academic qual has been achieved, I would find asking my refs again quite scary and not sure what they would say, and ultimately I think telling my supervisor I'm leaving wouldn't be easy. All I know is I am not particuraly happy with this situation and feel kind of trapped, like I am just trying to get through this PhD so I can move on to a better situation in a postdoc or something, and I think it shouldn't really be like that.

any advice greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I too am a European student and I have to agree that US schools seem to offer many more courses at the graduate level than is traditional in say the UK. Although ultimately if you want a career as a researcher you will be left to fend for yourself, self teaching and reading papers rather than the usual undergrad style of learning. Perhaps you're putting too much emphasis on the value of such courses.

In addition to this course load you would have to teach, and in most cases pass a candidacy exam, so you really need to ask if you want to go through all this just to get back to the research stage that it seems you're already at. Then even when you pass this you are not guaranteed a certain advisor before hand like in Europe. This advisor will be something decided over the first two years, so even if you select a gradschool with one or two advisors in say String (if that's what you're interested in), who says you won't end up getting an advisor with "less fundamental" interests all over again.

On the other hand:

As for your undergrad referees opinion on you reapplying whilst still enrolled, I'm really not sure, I can't imagine they care really? but perhaps someone more experienced would know more on that.

If you have published papers, I guess there is a risk you might be recognised as such and such a persons student, which could get back your school, but still seems quite unlikely?

LAHLH said:
I too am a European student and I have to agree that US schools seem to offer many more courses at the graduate level than is traditional in say the UK.

Be aware that US PhDs are also regularly twice as long, sometimes even more.

Wiggins84bc said:
I recently stumbled on a blog by a grad theorist at stony brook, documented the courses they were taking and the content of their PhD and it seemed quite a astounding to me the breadth of stuff I was missing out on

Your PhD is probably less than half as long as someone in the US, though. That is why they spend so much time learning courses. The UK/Europe PhD system is much more focussed on the single-topic.

Wiggins84bc said:
Also I would have to recontact my 3 undergrad refererees who I think would be quite shocked to hear I'm leaving this PhD and asking them to resubmit all over again for the US, so I'm quite scared of doing that.

I doubt that would really matter too much.

Wiggins84bc said:
So to summarise: I don't feel happy socially or with the content of the research and what I'm actually learning in my current PhD. I would like to live in the US for the experience of living there and I believe the US would give me a better education in theoretical topics than I'm obtaining in this PhD and possibly allow me to work on something I would find more fulfilling.

Have you spoken to your advisor about this? It amazes me that people will almost always rather talk to a total stranger for advice about their research than the person that works very closely with them on a regular basis. Remember that your supervisor is just a human being at the end of the day. They know how things are, and probably had some of the same experiences you're having just now. If you ask to have a meeting to see if they can bring in some more fundamental work into your thesis, then at least you'll have tried. You might also be able to stick with your current work but work with someone else on a slightly different topic that is more closely tied to your interest in the fundamentals.

Be careful here. Everyone goes through rough patches in their work, and that makes the alternatives seem all the more attractive. You just need to make sure if you do decide to leave your PhD that it's a balanced, objective decision and not just a flip-reaction based on an assumption that "it will be better". The PhD in the US is certainly more comprehensive, and might give you a better education - but you'll have to work probably as an RA during it, possibly on something you won't be interested in.

Thanks for the replies.

I just worry that my referees may feel that because I am still enrolled somewhere that reapplying elsewhere may be somewhat back handed or something and not be pleased.

I haven't spoken to my advisor about the issues, mainly because I don't want to make things awkward if I am staying. I think perhaps I could push for something a little more fundamental without it being too much of an issue, but this isn't the only issue and somethings strangely are easier to talk about anonymously with strangers rather than someone you know.

I was aware that the US PhD is typically 5-6 years, however I thought when you got to RA that was just an assistantship supporting you while you undertake work toward your thesis, is this research independent of your PhD research then?

fasterthanjoao said:
Be aware that US PhDs are also regularly twice as long, sometimes even more.

This is not necessarily true. I've mentioned this issue already in my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay. The length of time for a Ph.D in the US is typically measured from B.Sc degree. In Europe. the Masters degree (or equivalent) precedes a Ph.D degree, so often it is the length of time from a Masters degree.

Zz.

Related to Changing PhD: Is It the Right Move for Me?

1. What are the potential benefits of changing PhD programs?

Changing PhD programs can bring a variety of benefits, including a better fit with your research interests, access to new resources and collaborations, and a fresh start if you were struggling in your previous program. It can also enhance your career prospects by diversifying your experience and expanding your network.

2. What are the potential drawbacks of changing PhD programs?

There are also potential drawbacks to changing PhD programs, such as the loss of progress and time spent in your previous program, the need to adapt to a new environment and supervisor, and potential challenges with transferring credits or funding. It's important to carefully consider these factors before making a decision.

3. How do I know if changing PhD programs is the right move for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. However, some factors to consider include your level of satisfaction and progress in your current program, your research interests and the opportunities available in the new program, and your overall career objectives.

4. Is it common to change PhD programs?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to change PhD programs for various reasons. According to a study by the Council of Graduate Schools, around 20% of PhD students change programs at some point during their studies. However, this number may vary depending on the field and individual circumstances.

5. What steps should I take if I am considering changing PhD programs?

If you are considering changing PhD programs, it's important to thoroughly research and compare potential programs, reach out to current students and faculty members for insights, and carefully weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks. You should also communicate with your current advisor and the potential new program to ensure a smooth transition. Ultimately, it's important to make a well-informed decision that aligns with your academic and career goals.