Changing Degrees - Mechanical to Industrial Engineering

In summary, Marco is currently studying a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering in South Africa. Initially, he chose mechanical engineering due to his interest in cars and machines, but after two years, he has started leaning towards industrial engineering due to his passion for optimization and other business aspects. He is unsure if he should switch to industrial engineering and is seeking advice. One person suggests sticking with mechanical engineering and taking some industrial engineering and business courses, while possibly pursuing an MBA with a focus on operations research. They also mention that their EE and MBA degrees have helped them in their career, as they have been involved in manufacturing and process re-engineering. Ultimately, the decision to become a manager is not solely based on academic knowledge, but also the individual
MarcoRSA
Hi my name is Marco,

I live in South Africa and currently studying a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering. I first decided on mechanical because I enjoyed cars and learning how machines work. But after 2 years into the degree, I have started to lean more towards changing to industrial, as the mechanical side isn't exactly what I had in mind (not that I'm saying I find it hard, it's just industrial seems more me). I like the industrial part, because optimizing has always been a strong passion of mine, and other business aspects of industrial also interest me. But, I also still enjoy the mechanical aspects such as drawing in CAD, etc. I've heard that all engineers become managers, just that IE's become managers quicker, is this true?

Am I making the right decision by changing to industrial?

Physics news on Phys.org
My only formal IE data point is a classmate who was IE but who after a few years in industry switched to study graduate EE instead. She found the IE too limiting career-wise. She started in IE but found she need a strong technical core to really make it work. So based on this I'd say stick with the ME but take some IE and business courses, and maybe get an MBA focused on OR subjects, or double major in ME + IE.

I learned a lot of what my friend learned as an IE in my MBA program (with a little less math) - my EE math made it all pretty trivial to learn. I'm guessing ME would be similar. I took a couple of IE course as an undergrad and helped my friend with homework from time-to-time so I knew what the IE was about.

BTW I have an EE and MBA. I've done a fair amount of IE-like stuff involved in manufacturing and process re-engineering in a general business environment. I'm currently involved in supplying machines to semiconductor manufacturing (and our products directly affect IE-like performance of the line). A lot of my EE knowledge obviously is used but I also can use the IE/MBA type of knowledge to go beyond that. They complement each other as knowledge areas - all IE still is applied to some engineering specialty process. So ME knowledge is a major advantage to doing IE in an ME area like car manufacturing.

As far as becoming a manager - it's not so much a matter of degrees or academic knowledge. Basically in your entry-level engineering job your speed-to-management will not really change by that but simply your interest and attitude toward that goal: people who really want to become managers tend to become managers the fastest while people who really enjoy the engineering and spend more focus on it become managers the slowest or not at all.

Related to Changing Degrees - Mechanical to Industrial Engineering

What is the difference between mechanical and industrial engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools. Industrial engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the optimization and management of processes and systems in various industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, and transportation.

Why would someone want to change from mechanical to industrial engineering?

Some people may find that they have a greater interest in the management and optimization of processes rather than the design and production of mechanical systems. Additionally, industrial engineering offers a wider range of career opportunities in various industries.

How difficult is it to change from a mechanical to industrial engineering degree?

The difficulty of changing degrees can vary depending on the specific requirements and curriculum of the university. However, since both degrees have a strong foundation in math and science, there may be some overlap in coursework which can make the transition easier.

Are there any specific courses or requirements that need to be completed to change degrees?

It is best to consult with an academic advisor or the department of industrial engineering at your university to determine any specific courses or requirements that need to be completed in order to change degrees. Some universities may require certain prerequisites or a certain GPA for admission into the industrial engineering program.

How will changing degrees affect my career path?

While changing degrees may delay your graduation and may require additional coursework, it can also open up new career opportunities in various industries. Having a diverse skillset in both mechanical and industrial engineering can make you a valuable asset to companies and can lead to a successful and fulfilling career path.