Change of variables double integral

In summary, x= \sqrt{v- u}, y = u + v yields the double integral da, =\int\int f(x,y)\\dudv over the smaller region bounded by y = x^2, y = 4 − x^2, x = 1.
eibon

Homework Statement

Use the transformation [itex]x= \sqrt{v- u}[/itex], y = u + v to evaluate the double integral of [itex]f(x, y) = \frac{x}{(x^2 + y)}[/itex]
over the smaller region bounded by y = x^2, y = 4 − x^2, x = 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d:={ (x,y)| [itex]-\sqrt{2}<x<1[/itex] , x^2<y< 4-x^2}

using the jacobian the integral becomes

[tex]\int\int f(x,y)\\da, =\int\int frac{1}{2v}\\dudv[/tex]

[tex]u=\frac{ y-x^2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{y+x^2}{2}[/tex]

but now i am unsure of how to find the limit of integration now

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi eibon,

I believe your latex code is not working, since the equations are not showing up nicely for me. I think you should forget about the latex code for now and just write the fractions like x/(x^2 +y), might make it clearer, but maybe my browser is just retarded.

But let me attempt to answer your question. I believe what you need to do here is

1) compute the Jacobian
2) find the new differential area element in the u, v coordinates

both of these I believe you did, but then again the equations are not showing up nicely for me.

Now to get the limits, find what the region bounded by the equations y = x^2, y = 4 − x^2, x = 1. would look like in the u,v coordinate system and then figure out the limits accordingly for u and v. Maybe it is easier than that, perhaps you can find the limits in the x,y coordinate system first and it will then be easy to figure out the new limits in u,v coordinate system by solving the transformation equations.I believe this is how you would go about solving this question. But these are just some ideas to help before someone more knowledgeable answers your question.

Last edited:
The "smaller region" is bounded on the left by x= 1, above by [itex]y= 4- x^2[/itex] and below by [itex]y= x^2[/itex] which cross, of course, at [itex]x= \sqrt{2}[/itex].

With [itex]x= \sqrt{v- u}[/itex] and [itex]y= u+ v[/itex], [itex]y= x^2[/itex] becomes [itex]u+ v= v- u[/itex] which reduces to u= 0. Similarly, [itex]y= 4- x^2[/itex] becomes [itex]u+ v= 4- v+ u[/itex] which reduces to v= 2. Finally, x= 1, which is the same as [itex]x^2= 1[/itex], becomes v- u= 1 or v= u+ 1 which intersects u= 0 at (0, 1) and v= 2 at (1, 2). Your region of integration is the triangle with vertices (0, 1), (1, 2) and (0, 2) in the uv-plane.

Related to Change of variables double integral

1. What is a change of variables in a double integral?

A change of variables in a double integral is a method used to transform the variables in an integral to simplify the calculation. It involves substituting new variables in place of the original ones, which can make the integral easier to solve or evaluate.

2. Why is a change of variables useful in double integrals?

A change of variables can be useful in double integrals because it allows for the simplification of the integral, making it easier to calculate. It can also help to transform the integral into a more familiar form, which can make it easier to interpret and solve.

3. What are the steps involved in a change of variables for a double integral?

The steps involved in a change of variables for a double integral are as follows:

1. Select new variables to substitute in the integral.
  2. Find the Jacobian of the transformation, which is the determinant of the partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the original ones.
  3. Rewrite the integral using the new variables and the Jacobian.
  4. Solve the new integral using the appropriate techniques.
  5. Substitute the original variables back into the final answer.

4. What are some common examples of a change of variables in double integrals?

Some common examples of a change of variables in double integrals include changing from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, changing from rectangular coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, or changing from rectangular coordinates to spherical coordinates. Other examples may involve using trigonometric substitutions or substitutions to transform the integral into a more symmetrical form.

5. When should I use a change of variables in a double integral?

A change of variables should be used in a double integral when the integral is difficult to evaluate or solve in its current form. It can also be used to transform the integral into a more familiar form or to simplify the calculation. In general, if the integral involves complicated functions or limits of integration, a change of variables may be helpful.