Change of variable, why can I not multiply the differentials directly

In summary, you were trying to do double integration by changing variables and were confused about why this was wrong. You should think of it geometrically and use the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian to get the correct result.
phucnguyen
Hi, I'm learning to do double integration by changing variables and wondering about this.

Suppose we have f(x, y) and want to find the volume under the surface over some bounded area in the xy plane.

Say, I want to change the variables into u and v by:
u = 3x - 2y
v = x + y

I need to find the relations between dxdy and dudv.

Now I have:
du = 3dx - 2dy
dv = dx + dy

So
dudv = (3dx - 2dy)(dx + dy) = 3(dx)^2 + dxdy - 2(dy)^2

Dividing both sides by dxdy, we obtain:
(dudv)/(dxdy) = 3(dx/dy) + 1 - 2(dy/dx)

Since x and y are independent, dx/dy and dy/dx are 0.

Hence I conclude dudv = dxdy.

It's easily to find a counter example to this. The ratio is actually a constant of 5.

Where have I been wrong here? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what text or course are you learning this stuff? You shouldn't perform magical tricks with differentials. You just need to compute the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian, see here.

In your case, [tex]D\phi=\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -2\\
1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}.[/tex]
so that |det(D\phi)|=3*1-(-2*1)=5.

Hi Landau,

Thanks for showing me the right way to do it. I mean I was learning the Jacobian. And before continuing with the lesson, I attempted to do it this way. I knew it was very likely that I would be wrong, but I tried it anyway, so that I could later find out where my thinking was wrong and gain more insights.

So I'm currently confused about why this is wrong. Exactly at what line?

If I think of these as approximations of deltaX and deltaY, the approximation will hold until the last line, where we can then take the limits of both sides?

I'm sorry if this is annoying but it's just my habit of looking straight into my errors and try to be clear why I'm wrong :D

Many thanks.

If you want your calculation to give the correct result, think of it geometrically:

Assume that dxdy represents the area of a small square in the coordinate system (x,y).

Then you use a different coordinate system (u,v) on the same space. The quantity dudv represents the area of a small square in this coordinate system. A square in one coordinate system may not look much like a square in another. But the areas of those two squares are related, since you can express (u,v) as functions of (x,y). You need to find the area of dudv in terms of the area dxdy. This is what the Jacobi determinant measures, the relative change of such a small area, under a coordinate transformation.

Notice that it is not a coincidence that the number 5 appears in this vector product calculation (coinsidering dx and dy as orthogonal vectors):

du x dv = 3 dx x dx + 3 dx x dy - 2 dy x dx + 2 dy x dy
= 0 + 3 dx x dy + 2 dx x dy + 0
= 5 dx x dy

The absolute value of the cross product is of course related to areas...

Torquil

Related to Change of variable, why can I not multiply the differentials directly

1. Why do we need to use a change of variable in mathematical equations?

Change of variable is used to simplify complex mathematical equations by substituting one variable for another. This allows us to solve the equations more easily and sometimes in closed form.

2. Can I use any variable for the change of variable?

No, the choice of variable for the change of variable is important. It should be a valid variable representing a quantity in the equation and should not introduce any new constraints or dependencies.

3. Why can't we simply multiply differentials in a change of variable?

In a change of variable, we are essentially substituting one variable for another. Multiplying differentials directly would lead to incorrect results as the differentials represent infinitesimal changes in the original variable, not the substituted one.

4. Is there a specific method for performing a change of variable?

Yes, there are different methods for performing a change of variable depending on the type of equation and the variables involved. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions.

5. Can a change of variable be used in any type of mathematical equation?

Yes, a change of variable can be used in various types of mathematical equations including integrals, differential equations, and algebraic equations. However, the appropriateness of the method and the choice of variable should be carefully considered.