How Can I Calculate a Double Integral Using a Change of Variable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, we are trying to calculate $\iint_D xe^y dxdy$ using the change of variable, where $D$ is defined by the inequalities $x\geq 0$, $y\geq 0$, $x^2+y^2\leq 1$ and $x^2+y^2\geq 2y$. We define new variables $u=x^2+y^2$, $v=x^2+y^2-2y$ and solve for $x,y$ in terms of $u,v$. Then, we calculate the determinant of the Jacobian matrix and use this in the change of variables formula to get an integral in the new space $E$. We
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Defining $u=x^2+y^2$, $v=x^2+y^2-2y$ I want to calculate $\iint_D xe^y dxdy$ using the change of variable, where $D$is the space that is determined by the inequalities $x\geq 0$, $y\geq 0$, $x^2+y^2\leq 1$ and $x^2+y^2\geq 2y$. I have done the following:

We have the new variables $u=x^2+y^2$, $v=x^2+y^2-2y$.

When we solve for $x,y$ as a function of $u,v$ we get:
$$v=x^2+y^2-2y\Rightarrow v^2=u^2-2y \Rightarrow y=\frac{u}{2}-\frac{v}{2}$$
$$u=x^2+y^2 \Rightarrow x^2=u-y^2 \Rightarrow x^2=u-\left (\frac{u-v}{2}\right )^2 \Rightarrow x^2=u-\frac{u^2-2uv+v^2}{4}
\\ \Rightarrow x^2=\frac{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}{4} \Rightarrow x=\pm \sqrt{\frac{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}{4}} \\ \Rightarrow x=\pm \frac{\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}{2}$$ Since $x\geq 0$ we get $x= \frac{\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}{2}$.

Is everything correct so far? (Wondering) Now we have to calculate the determinant, right? We get
\begin{align*}det \begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{u}} & \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{v}} \\ \frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{u}} & \frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{v}}\end{pmatrix}&=det \begin{pmatrix}\frac{2-u+v}{2\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}} & \frac{u-v}{2\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}} \\ \frac{1}{2} & -\frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix} \\ & =-\frac{2-u+v}{4\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}-\frac{u-v}{4\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}} \\ & =-\frac{2-u+v+u-v}{4\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}} \\ & =-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}\end{align*}

Therefore we get the following:
\begin{align*}\iint_D xe^y dxdy&=\iint_E \frac{\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}{2}e^{\frac{u-v}{2}} \left |\frac{\partial{(x,y)}}{\partial{(u,v)}}\right |dudv \\ & =\iint_E \frac{\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}{2}e^{\frac{u-v}{2}}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{4u-u^2+2uv-v^2}}dudv \\ & =\frac{1}{4}\iint_E e^{\frac{u-v}{2}}dudv\end{align*}

Is the new space $E=\{(u,v) \mid 0\leq u\leq 1, 0\leq v\leq 1\}$ ? I thought so because of the following:
Since $x^2+y^2\leq 1 \Rightarrow u\leq 1$. Since $x\geq 0, y\geq 0$ we have that $x^2+y^2\geq 0$ and so $u\geq 0$.
Since $x^2+y^2\geq 2y \Rightarrow v\geq 0$. Since $x^2+y^2\leq 1$ and $y\geq 0$ we have that $x^2+y^2-2y\leq 1-2\cdot 0=1$ and so $0\leq v\leq 1$.

(Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
We have the new variables $u=x^2+y^2$, $v=x^2+y^2-2y$.

When we solve for $x,y$ as a function of $u,v$ we get:
$$v=x^2+y^2-2y\Rightarrow v^2=u^2-2y \Rightarrow y=\frac{u}{2}-\frac{v}{2}$$

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

Shouldn't there be a couple of squares in there? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Shouldn't there be a couple of squares in there? (Wondering)

Oh (Blush) Shouldn't it be as follows?
$$v=x^2+y^2-2y\Rightarrow v=u-2y \Rightarrow y=\frac{u}{2}-\frac{v}{2}$$
(Wondering)

mathmari said:
Oh (Blush) Shouldn't it be as follows?
$$v=x^2+y^2-2y\Rightarrow v=u-2y \Rightarrow y=\frac{u}{2}-\frac{v}{2}$$
Ah yes, with that correction it looks correct to me.

mathmari said:
Now we have to calculate the determinant, right?
Yep. I didn't check the calculations, but overall it looks correct.

mathmari said:
Is the new space $E=\{(u,v) \mid 0\leq u\leq 1, 0\leq v\leq 1\}$ ? I thought so because of the following:
Since $x^2+y^2\leq 1 \Rightarrow u\leq 1$. Since $x\geq 0, y\geq 0$ we have that $x^2+y^2\geq 0$ and so $u\geq 0$.
Since $x^2+y^2\geq 2y \Rightarrow v\geq 0$. Since $x^2+y^2\leq 1$ and $y\geq 0$ we have that $x^2+y^2-2y\leq 1-2\cdot 0=1$ and so $0\leq v\leq 1$.
Can we draw $D$?
That should tells us if it is likely that it gets mapped to a square. (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Can we draw $D$?
That should tells us if it is likely that it gets mapped to a square. (Wondering)

$D$ is the following:

[DESMOS=-2,2,-2,2]x^2+y^2\ge2y\ \left\{x^2+y^2\le1\ \left\{x\ge0\right\}\ \left\{y\ge0\right\}\right\}[/DESMOS]So will $E$ be a triangle? (Wondering)

We have the following:
$$2y\leq x^2+y^2\leq 1 \Rightarrow 2y\leq 1\Rightarrow y\leq \frac{1}{2}$$
Therefore we get $$0\leq y\leq \frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow 0\leq \frac{u-v}{2}\leq \frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow 0\leq u-v\leq 1 \Rightarrow -u\leq -v\leq 1-u \Rightarrow u-1\leq v\leq u$$

And from $0\leq x^2+y^2\leq 1$ we get $0\leq u\leq 1$.

Using that bounds I got $\frac{e^{\frac{1}{2}}-1}{2}$.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
$D$ is the following:

So will $E$ be a triangle? (Wondering)

Looks like it yes.

mathmari said:
We have the following:
$$2y\leq x^2+y^2\leq 1 \Rightarrow 2y\leq 1\Rightarrow y\leq \frac{1}{2}$$
Therefore we get $$0\leq y\leq \frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow 0\leq \frac{u-v}{2}\leq \frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow 0\leq u-v\leq 1 \Rightarrow -u\leq -v\leq 1-u \Rightarrow u-1\leq v\leq u$$

And from $0\leq x^2+y^2\leq 1$ we get $0\leq u\leq 1$.

Using that bounds I got $\frac{e^{\frac{1}{2}}-1}{2}$.

Is this correct? (Wondering)
Which bounds for $v$ exactly?
$u-1\leq v\leq u$ doesn't look correct to me.
After all, that would mean that for $u=0$ we have $-1\le v\le 0$, but we should have $v\ge 0$.

Generally, we should check where each of the corners map to. That is, (0,0), (1,0), and $(\frac 12\sqrt 3, \frac 12)$.
And we should check what each bounding curve maps to. That is, the x-axis, the circle with radius 1 and center (0,0), and the circle with radius 1 and center (0,1).
Drawing the results should show us what we have exactly. (Thinking)

Related to How Can I Calculate a Double Integral Using a Change of Variable?

1. What is the definition of "new space" in the context of science?

"New space" refers to any area or territory that has not yet been explored or studied in depth by scientists. It can also refer to advancements in technology and knowledge that allow for further exploration and understanding of the universe.

2. How do scientists determine if a particular area is considered the "new space"?

Scientists use various methods such as observations, experiments, and data analysis to determine if a certain area or topic is considered "new space". They may also rely on previous research and theories to guide their investigations.

3. What are some potential benefits of exploring and studying "new space"?

Exploring and studying "new space" can lead to new discoveries, advancements in technology, and a better understanding of the universe and our place in it. It can also inspire curiosity and drive further scientific research and innovation.

4. What are some challenges scientists face when studying "new space"?

Some challenges scientists may face when studying "new space" include limited resources, technological limitations, and the vastness and complexity of the universe. They may also face difficulties in obtaining accurate data and interpreting it correctly.

5. What are some current areas or topics that are considered "new space" in the field of science?

Some current areas or topics that are considered "new space" in the field of science include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the exploration of exoplanets, and the development of quantum computing. These areas are constantly evolving and expanding as scientists continue to make new discoveries and advancements.