Change in Momentum and Impulse

In summary, a human cannonball with a mass of 70kg experiences an impulse of 4.0 x 10^3 N•s for 0.35 s. The force acting on the human cannonball is 1.14 x 10^4 N. To calculate the length of the barrel of the cannon, we can use the formula F•d=ΔEk and solve for d. With an initial velocity of 0m/s and a final velocity of 57m/s, the displacement of the cannonball is 10m. Therefore, the barrel of the cannon is 10m in length.
Mary1910
Human cannonballs have been a part of circuses for years. A human cannonball with a mass of 70kg experiences an impulse of 4.0 x 10^3 N•s for 0.35 s.

a) Calculate the force acting on the human cannonball.

F=(J)/(Δt)
=(4000 N•s)/(0.35s)
=11428.5 N
=1.14 x 10^4 N

b)How long was the barrel of the cannon?(Assume the force is applied only for the period of time that the cannonball is in the cannon.)

Im not to sure about part b), At first I thought that I should be using F•d=ΔEk, but I don't think so. Although I don't think I know of any other formulas for this type of problem that would incorporate displacement.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mary1910 said:
Human cannonballs have been a part of circuses for years. A human cannonball with a mass of 70kg experiences an impulse of 4.0 x 10^3 N•s for 0.35 s.

a) Calculate the force acting on the human cannonball.

F=(J)/(Δt)
=(4000 N•s)/(0.35s)
=11428.5 N
=1.14 x 10^4 N

b)How long was the barrel of the cannon?(Assume the force is applied only for the period of time that the cannonball is in the cannon.)

Im not to sure about part b), At first I thought that I should be using F•d=ΔEk, but I don't think so. Although I don't think I know of any other formulas for this type of problem that would incorporate displacement.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Actually that's the average force (and that's what the question should have asked you for).

Your idea was fine! Work = ΔKE seems as reasonable as any way to do this.

SammyS said:
Your idea was fine! Work = ΔKE seems as reasonable as any way to do this.

Thank you! Could you just let me know if this is correct?

b)

J=Δp
Δp=mΔv

4.0 x 10^3 N•s=70kgΔv
Δv=(4.0 x 10^3 N•s)/(70kg)
Δv=57m/s

Ek=½mvf^2-½mvi^2
=½(70kg)(57m/s)^2-½(70kg)(0m/s)^2
=113715-0
=1.14 x 10^5 J

F•d=ΔEk
d=(ΔEk)/(F)
=(1.14 x 10^5)/(1.14 x 10^4)
=10m

Therefore the barrel of the cannon is 10m :smile:

Yes, with significant digits, it's 10m or arguably it's 10.0m

Likes Mary1910

Related to Change in Momentum and Impulse

1. What is the definition of momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. Impulse is the change in momentum of an object caused by a force acting on it for a certain amount of time.

2. How are momentum and impulse related?

Momentum and impulse are directly related, as impulse is equal to the change in an object's momentum. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating impulse?

The formula for impulse is J = FΔt, where J represents impulse, F represents the force applied, and Δt represents the time interval over which the force is applied.

4. Can impulse be negative?

Yes, impulse can be negative. This means that the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its velocity, resulting in a decrease in momentum.

5. How does changing the time interval affect impulse?

The longer the time interval over which a force is applied, the greater the impulse will be. This is because a longer time interval allows for a greater change in momentum to occur.